Sign in to follow this  
pacemaker67

Caught in the DnB high pressure sales universe

And I thought I was slick in getting a DnB file opened... I had initial success with DnB in creating a file via i-update about 2 months ago but have not had any trades report since the initial 2 were added almost immediately. For the last 4 days I am getting repeated calls by a very persistent sales person and numerous "supervisors" about buying their credit builder package. Always the same deal, that they are the only business credit agency, that the only way anyone will lend to us is if we buy the package and that the many trade lines I have created, used and paid on time will not report unless I buy the package. Thanks to this site, I can debunk their bogus stories.

No matter how I gently prove them wrong, they keep coming back harder with the same almost threats, "without our credit builder package, you will never be able to X" I thought I had somehow skipped past the sales people, but apparently not. These guys are blatant and relentless.

My files contain:

2 Reporting on D&B:

Fuelman

Quill

Missing in action: Uline, Amsterdam, Grainger, MSC, (all with $300+) paid invoices for either 2 or three months running. Then there is Builder Pro and Tractor Supply who are reporting to Ex, Also, at least 3 big local suppliers who swear they reported to DnB at least once if not twice. These trades would be in the $3-5k range. It seems that I should have 11 trades reporting to DnB in theory anyway.

(6) Reporting on EXP:

Fuelman

Builder Pro

SupplyWorks

Uline

Tractor Supply

Local Hardwood Supplier

(1) Reporting on EQ:

Paychexs

How should I handle this? I am not going to be strong-armed but I can't let this screw us up as we are growing fast and leasing equipment and perhaps a vehicle will be essential in the relatively near future.

Reporting on

Tell them you are recording the call for quality assurance purposes!

If they are really saying that they are risking another lawsuit. They have been sued for this exact thing before.

I always tell them that they don't allow credit card accounts to be reported and most of our current/future vendors use the other (2) commercial credit bureaus. Usually that ends with them saying "appreciate your time" and then they end the call. Usually get a call every 4-6 months trying to sell the product.

If you work on government projects then the DnB file holds a different weight then an average business looking to build a profile. Still you shouldn't pay for there service and at the end of the day there is no guarantee that your vendor will report to them. No vendor is obligated to report to the CRA's and if they do report doesn't mean they update it on a monthly basis.

Thanks guys. They are freaking brutal. I will try that recorded thing out. It is a pure shakedown attempt and yes, both the initial caller and the "supervisors" have repeated the same jive.

Yes, perhaps some are due to the company not actually reporting but I am absolutely certain that more than 2 trades have reported, I would guess at least 6 should be on there at a bare minimum considering who they are and that some have reported for 2 month on Ex as well.

I hear ya, I had the the same deal a few weeks ago. They are so damn desperate to make sales it's ridiculous. They said the same thing, I will have problems with out many trade lines. I tell them I have had no issues at all getting what I need. She then says, Stupid stuff like if I pay my Gardner, he can be a trade line. Everything helps and if I buy this monthly service I will be in great shape. I say well all my business cards are reporting to Experian. She said no one uses them and they "D&B" have been around for 180 years.

This went on for about 10 minutes and stuff, she kept saying she is trying to educated me and I should listen. I then started to burp and pass gas in the phone. I did this for about two minutes. apologizing now and then to the lady explaining that I just ate a ham sandwich and it's giving me issues. I then start to ask her if she has ever had the same problem after eating a sandwich. She started to get a little upset. She would keep going back to the same song and dance, I kept changing the conversation asking her if maybe other foods give her gas. She then asked me if I was serious, I said of course I am. She hung up right after that.

They suck and I have no idea why they have any credibility left with any of the creditors out there.

I worked for D&B for 10 years.. The Credit Builder product is to YOUR advantage.. It gives you TOTAL CONTROL over who is reporting on your trade lines.. It's WORTH EVERY PENNY!! Trust me.. You get to add those vendors that you want, and of course they verify every detail you give them but to a young company, this is CRUCIAL.. I never used 'sales tactics' to get anyone to buy the product.. Do you know how many times I WISHED for Experian, Equifax and Transunion to allow us to add trade lines to our personal reports? I say that you buy the product, add the trade lines and then once the monitoring starts, keep track of your supplier evaluation score, financial risk score, Paydex, Commercial credit rating, because LIKE IT OR NOT, most big companies (like the leasing companies and banks) will NOT do business with anyone who doesn't have a paydex score or financial stress scores (all in the D&B report).. And you're going to be leasing equipment, having a STRONG D&B Report, saves you MONEY (thousands of dollars actually) because your interest rates on financing and business loans are determined by that Paydex..

So my advice is to GET THE CREDIT BUILDER and make your report exactly how you think it should be.. The reps there are NOT all 'strong arm' people. I never had to do that to get people to buy the product.. Once you realize how EASY it is to create your report and maintain it, you can dispute late pays (VENDORS DO MAKE MISTAKES IN REPORTING) and D&B removes those very quickly if there is an error.. It's NOTHING like dealing with the personal credit bureaus.

When you are purchasing workman's comp insurance and other insurance, your rates and monthly payments are DETERMINED BY A D&B SCORE.. Why not get the CB (Credit Builder) and make your report perfect? Or you could just wait until that vendor reports to D&B, which MAY NEVER HAPPEN.. Some vendors ONLY REPORT when you're late, and that will be too late for a small business.

I think the Credit Builder is worth every single penny.. You could be saving so much more than you even realize.. And if you're going to work with the government, you WILL lose bids if the D&B rating is NOT where it should be.. Make sure your payment history reflects the strength of your credit.. And this will mean that you might have a $50,000 credit line with some random company who does NOT report to D&B (because maybe they're not large enough to report) and if they can't report it, then you can ADD IT via the Credit Builder program..

You can take the chance on "Hoping" that all your vendors report, but when it comes down to it, D&B has been around for 200 years, and like it or not, it's going to dictate interest rates, credit lines and why wouldn't you want to be able to control what goes into your report? I would.. It's a win/win..

Just bite the bullet and build your report. Then sit back and start saving money.. If you want someone that I recommend, call D&B and ask for Cindy Varnell.. She's a personal friend and she's been at D&B for almost 20 years. Tell her "Elvis" sent you and she'll treat you EXCEPTIONALLY WELL.. (That was my nickname she gave me)

Thanks! "Elvis"

A shill for DnB?

Simple questions:

What are the chances, percentage wise, that the following companies did actually report to DnB after two months of Net 30 history. Paying $200.00 to $500 balances just before being due?:

Uline

Grainger

Amsterdam

Quill

MSC

From all I have read here over the last three months, it would seem that a few of those are dependable reporters???

when applying for builder pro did they ask you to provide your ss# on the app. D & B told me never put ss# on apps to pg always use duns # is this correct info

when applying for builder pro did they ask you to provide your ss# on the app. D & B told me never put ss# on apps to pg always use duns # is this correct info

What??????!!!

No!!

I'm new but wanted to share an experience that happened to us about 6 months after we opened our shop. We looked into DnB but what they offered us was too expensive for us at the time so we passed. The rep seemed overly pushy. If DnB is so legit why would they have such high pressure sales? But, it didn't stop there. About a week later we get a message on our office machine from an attorney who asked for me by name and started going on in a very threatening tone about a bill that was not paid and how it was was already reported and if I did not call him back with payment arrangements within a short period he would sue us for his client. When I called that number back there was no answer. I knew it was a scam because I had no vendor that I was late on. But it was bizarre. So, someone getting a call like that could panic if they had old bills they ignored,... and what would the next step be? Check your business credit. And, it occurred to me because of the timing I wondered if this was set up by an over eager DnB employee. That would be over the top outrageous and I thought I was just being paranoid. When I called that number back there was no answer. About a week later I called that number again and he answered "law offices". I asked him to explain the message he left me. He asked for my name and put me on hold. When he came back he said he must have called the wrong number. Except that his message asked for me by name. Because of this bizarre experience I can't get past the shady-ness of Dunns and Bradstreet. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Your business is on any number of lists that are sold to all kinds of marketers. I doubt it was anything to do with DnB. They're high pressure sales but I don't think they actually do things like this.

I'm in the process of building my business credit, so I got approved with some of the net 30 vendors, like quill, grainger, uline, and office depot, so it's been a couple months, and I've been contemplating on checking my paydex, or wondering if I have one, so I went to (NAV), which allows you to purchase your personal and business credit profile for.like 30 bucks, monthly, however they also have a freebie, which doesn't go in depth, but you can get an idea, so I tried this freebie to see, and it showed that my rating from DnB is an (F), so I'm like confused, it does shoe some of the vendors, but I don't think DnB is allowing my business credit to report. I also remember receiving some type of sales call from one of their reps like a month ago, telling me that my profile is incomplete,and that I need to update it, as it is crucial for my business. So the guy starts to ask me questions like how many employees, and a few other things, but I didn't feel comfortable enough to trust hI'm so I gave out general information, and told him I was busy, and I'll call him back. A friend of mone told me the same thing happened to his business account with them.years ago, and since he wouldn't cooperate, they froze his account. Is thi's stuff really going on like this? forcing people to buy some type of credit builder crap, when I already understand what it takes to build business credit, the only thing they're going to tell me is the same stuff I already know, this needs to stop,

So my question is if I don't pay for their services and continue to build my accounts based on experience and equifax, what dideference will it make?

I went to (NAV), which allows you to purchase your personal and business credit profile for.like 30 bucks, monthly, however they also have a freebie, which doesn't go in depth, but you can get an idea, so I tried this freebie to see, and it showed that my rating from DnB is an (F),

Does the name of your business start with an "F"?

There is a way to login on their site to complete your profile for free. Businss name, address, # of employees, SIC code, etc. You'd have to search on here for exact steps.

You just go through D&B Iupdate to change or add what ever you need to. In the eyes of D&B you will always have a "incomplete" file unless you also submit financials.

They have been sued numerous times over thier tactics. I believe there are still some cases going through the courts.