Slow Payments from Multiple Bill Pay Services

On 10/24 I initiated a tiny bill payment from Enneffseeyou to my US Bank FlexPerks card. Enneffseeyou mailed a check. Seven days later the payment still hasn't posted to my US Bank account.

On 10/24 I initiated a tiny bill payment from Huntington Bank to my Citi Hilton card. Huntington mailed a check. Seven days later the payment still hasn't posted to my Citi account.

On 10/7 I initiated a bill pay from Bank of America to one of our mortgage servicers, with an extra $XY,000 principal payment. The "deliver by" date prior to scheduling the payment showed 10/11 (two business days), but when the payment got saved the date changed to 10/13.

B of A mailed a check, even though my previous payment to the same company for a lower amount was sent electronically. The check didn't actually arrive until 10/15 (confirmed with the servicer), one day before a late payment would have been incurred.

I called Bank of America today, and was told that the payee determines how they will accept payments, and sometimes this varies by the amount of the payment.

The B of A rep, however, could not see if there were such thresholds, or even if this was actually the reason that they mailed a check for the larger amount. She suggested that if I call the servicer and inquire about how they accept payments from bill pay services, but she also mentioned that the servicer's CSRs probably won't know what I'm talking about.

This is just a rant, but the whole world has gone mad.

Okay that's just obnoxious that there could be certain windows of payment amounts, dates, the check writer's bday, etc that can impact the electronic transfer versus a check. Even more so that you'd likely just get the runaround when trying to determine what those criteria actually are. I'm frustrated for you.

For most of my "real" (regularly used) credit card bills I pay from the issuer's web site so I don't have this problem.

Both of these credit card payments were to cover small purchases I made just to keep the CCs active. My riffraff checking accounts (like Enneffseeyou and Huntington) don't see much activity either, so I was trying to kill two birds with one stone by using bill pay on these.

The riffraff accounts aren't saved as payment accounts on any of the issuer's sites. It's too much maintenance since I have so many accounts and so many cards.

I will never again rely on a bank's bill pay service for any payment that needs to arrive in less than 10 calendar days.

Edited by cv91915

On 10/24 I initiated a tiny bill payment from Enneffseeyou to my US Bank FlexPerks card. Enneffseeyou mailed a check. Seven days later the payment still hasn't posted to my US Bank account.

On 10/24 I initiated a tiny bill payment from Huntington Bank to my Citi Hilton card. Huntington mailed a check. Seven days later the payment still hasn't posted to my Citi account.

On 10/7 I initiated a bill pay from Bank of America to one of our mortgage servicers, with an extra $XY,000 principal payment. The "deliver by" date prior to scheduling the payment showed 10/11 (two business days), but when the payment got saved the date changed to 10/13.

B of A mailed a check, even though my previous payment to the same company for a lower amount was sent electronically. The check didn't actually arrive until 10/15 (confirmed with the servicer), one day before a late payment would have been incurred.

I called Bank of America today, and was told that the payee determines how they will accept payments, and sometimes this varies by the amount of the payment.

The B of A rep, however, could not see if there were such thresholds, or even if this was actually the reason that they mailed a check for the larger amount. She suggested that if I call the servicer and inquire about how they accept payments from bill pay services, but she also mentioned that the servicer's CSRs probably won't know what I'm talking about.

As of this morning, Citi is showing that my payment posted on 10/27, however the payment wasn't visible to me until today.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-01%20at%206.03.3

I remember once doing a billpay from BofA to another CC. It was on a Monday at noon, so it should have been sent/recieved the following day (have to schedule it before 14:00 Pacific for next day delivery). When I entered an amount over $10K, I noticed the delivery date changed for that particular payment in the queue of BP's. I cancelled the $10K BP and set up (2) $5K BP's in lieu of. Those were delivered the next day, so you can trick their limits.

I believe it was Barclays I was paying

I remember once doing a billpay from BofA to another CC. It was on a Monday at noon, so it should have been sent/recieved the following day (have to schedule it before 14:00 Pacific for next day delivery). When I entered an amount over $10K, I noticed the delivery date changed for that particular payment in the queue of BP's. I cancelled the $10K BP and set up (2) $5K BP's in lieu of. Those were delivered the next day, so you can trick their limits.

I believe it was Barclays I was paying

Not a bad idea for certain bills. I do sometimes schedule multiple same-day credit card payments from the same bank account so I can track the payment of different types of expenses (household, business, etc.).

Given the very basic problems I have had with our mortgage servicer, though, I'm not going to trust them to correctly post multiple ~$5,000 payments in a single month. It's worth a stamp or more advance planning on my part to save several phone calls later.

Edited by cv91915
  • 3 weeks later...

As of this morning, Citi is showing that my payment posted on 10/27, however the payment wasn't visible to me until today.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-01%20at%206.03.3

The Enneffseeyou payment was never sent, however as it turns out this one was user error.

Enneffseeyou requires an unnecessary confirmation step (at least it's unnecessary compared to the bill pay services on my two main checking accounts that I have elsewhere), and after submitting the requested payment I apparently didn't also verify my intentions by clicking another button.

I realized this today, as I just logged in and found another Enneffseeyou payment that had gone AWOL, so I watched the process more carefully and realized that there is this extra step. I just successfully re-pushed the desired payment, which I thought I had sent on Monday, to my W*****t MasterCard.

Edited by cv91915
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

A couple of weeks ago I bought a car for which I intended to pay cash, however there was a $500 Loyalty Credit for financing it, so I accepted a 0.9% APR/36 month auto loan with the intention of repaying it almost immediately.

Now I'm back to this ridiculous problem with bill pay.

I have sent the same payee ~17 lease payments (and counting) on a different car via Bank of America bill pay, and all went by ACH...  but the payment I want to make now on the new account, because of the amount, is going to paper out to a check.  

So instead of arriving tomorrow, the payment won't arrive until sometime next week.  🖕

HBxp5kV.png 

Recalling previous difficulties with using bill pay for larger sums, I first attempted to make an ACH payment directly from BMWFS' web site, but they won't accept more than $7,500 per month this way. 🖕🖕

gmjHh5t.png 

And I could send a wire for free from Bank of America, but BMWFS doesn't accept wires, which requires me to borrow a finger from someone else just to complete the last comment in this post.  🖕🖕🖕

Edited by cv91915
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 12:44 PM, cv91915 said:

HBxp5kV.png

I ended up scheduling this payment the day after I posted this, for delivery on January 6.

It's now the 8th, and the check hasn't posted to my loan account, nor has it cleared checking. 

Meanwhile I have 80 cents a day in interest flying out the door. 

5 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I ended up scheduling this payment the day after I posted this, for delivery on January 6.

It's now the 8th, and the check hasn't posted to my loan account, nor has it cleared checking. 

Just FYI, by paying it off within 4 months from taking the loan, you cost the dealer $500.  BMWFS will charge the dealer back the $500 as a way to prevent them from doing this very thing (telling people to take the loan to get the rebate and pay it off right away).  Usually it's recommended to take a loan for the minimum amount ($7,500) and pay it back after the 4 months (to minimize interest but avoid the chargeback).  Obviously not your problem, but good karma IMO (plus always like being on the dealer's good side should I ever need something).

2 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

Just FYI, by paying it off within 4 months from taking the loan, you cost the dealer $500.  BMWFS will charge the dealer back the $500 as a way to prevent them from doing this very thing (telling people to take the loan to get the rebate and pay it off right away).  Usually it's recommended to take a loan for the minimum amount ($7,500) and pay it back after the 4 months (to minimize interest but avoid the chargeback).  Obviously not your problem, but good karma IMO (plus always like being on the dealer's good side should I ever need something).

Thanks.  Yes, I was aware of the chargeback potential, and I absolutely did not want to be that guy, so I confirmed the details with the finance person (who was fantastic) before I took action.

k0UMed5.png 

I put the first $5k on my Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa (2.625% back), and financed the rest. 

Between the two $7,500 ACHs that had to be scheduled in separate calendar months, and this payment through bill pay that papered out due to the amount (assuming it ever arrives), there will be just enough balance left so that the February and March payments won't quite pay it off.

Then I'll make one final payment after day 91.

The surprise here was how difficult it was going to be to get the first ~95% of the balance over there. 

On 1/8/2021 at 8:44 AM, cv91915 said:

Sometime in the past hour the payment posted to my BMWFS account. 

I just submitted a request to Bank of America for reimbursement of the $4.80 in additional interest the later-than-promised delivery of this payment cost me.

nct6QK2.png  

Edited by cv91915
6 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Sometime in the past hour the payment posted to my BMWFS account. 

I just submitted a request to Bank of America for reimbursement of the $4.80 in additional interest the later-than-promised delivery of this payment cost me.

nct6QK2.png  

Bank of America responded to my secure message within minutes, and they're crediting my account for the $4.80 in additional interest that the delayed payment cost me.

When things go sideways -- and they will -- this is customer service.

Note that this is a greedy for-profit bank that answers to shareholders, I am just a customer and not an owner... and whatever other folksy bank vs. credit union bullcrap you want to talk about.

Edited by cv91915
  • 1 month later...
On 1/12/2021 at 11:27 AM, cv91915 said:

Bank of America responded to my secure message within minutes, and they're crediting my account for the $4.80 in additional interest that the delayed payment cost me.

When things go sideways -- and they will -- this is customer service.

Note that this is a greedy for-profit bank that answers to shareholders, I am just a customer and not an owner... and whatever other folksy bank vs. credit union bullcrap you want to talk about.

Credit posted the following day:

JVcgRz7.png 

9 hours ago, chrishillson said:

Maybe BMW is slow at processing payments? I have FedEx tracking showing payoff check was delivered to them Thursday at noon but online account does not reflect payment yet.

I'm betting it will show up later with a posting date of 2/25 or 2/26, but the transaction won't be visible to you until some of the other activities related to closing the account are complete.  We'll watch for an update.  :) 

Got an email 3/1 with a 2/26 payment date. They are also sending me a check for the $2.50 overpayment. Should have been $3.25, wonder if I can claim the other $1.50 from Fedex for being 2 days late... 😭

Also note:

Our Title Department will begin the process to release your title documents based on your payment. If you sent certified funds, you can expect your title to be sent in 1-3 business days. If you sent non-certified funds, there will be a 15 business day hold on your title documents.

If your account was eligible for our Overnight Title Service and you included the $15.00 processing fee, please refer to the Fed-Ex e-mail for your title release tracking information.