Sign in to follow this  
SandwichFace

Capital One Charge Off, 3 Years Old?

Anybody have any experience dealing with something like this? Roughly $4000 on a credit card charged off.

What's my best option? Ask for a PFD? Try to 1-2 punch? Let it ride and see if it falls off?

They tried to sue but the case was dismissed as I had moved to another state. It's been about a year since I've heard from them. Will trying to deal with the debt stir the pot and cause another lawsuit? If like to take care of it but I'm afraid of getting sued again.

what state did you move to?

some states have a borrowing statute which utilizes the SOL of the home state of the lender

Cap One = VA = 3 year SOL

I've read that Capital One doesn't do pay for delete. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to proceed? Or is my best option to let it age off?

To recap:

$4000 Credit card charged off roughly 3 years ago. Was sued and the case dismissed. It's been about a year since I've heard anything from them. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

I've read that Capital One doesn't do pay for delete. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to proceed? Or is my best option to let it age off?

To recap:

$4000 Credit card charged off roughly 3 years ago. Was sued and the case dismissed. It's been about a year since I've heard anything from them. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

I am guessing it was dismissed without prejudice... so they can file again in the correct state?

How it is currently reporting? They often sell these accounts to Midland. Does Cap One still own it?

Odds are that they won't sue again.Something that is 3+ years old is likely dead.

Those OC lawsuits happen usually within the first 2 years or they never happen.

But of course, they still could do it with a 6 year SOL for Washington.

What have you done so far? Regular credit bureau dispute? or nothing?

I don't see anything that says with or without prejudice. It just says the magistrates decision is "dismissed for lack of jurisdiction." I believe Capital One had 30 days to contest the decision but they did not. I'm assuming the worst and that they're still able to sue.

It's still reporting as Capital One, I'm not seeing anything that shows the debt has been sold.

To your last question, no, I've don't nothing with it. I was worried about stirring the pot and having them possibly try to sue again. Would you recommend trying to dispute with the CRAs? That sounds like it'd be the safest, as I wouldn't be contacting Capital One directly.

I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

Any more ideas? Do you think asking the CRA's to verify will poke the bear and cause Cap1 to try and sue again?

Yeah, they' are not nice folks when it comes to accounts.

Any more ideas? Do you think asking the CRA's to verify will poke the bear and cause Cap1 to try and sue again?

Yeah, they' are not nice folks when it comes to accounts.

But they are very forgiving when it comes to new apps, it seems. There are numerous stories of Cap One instantly approving folks who have previously burned them.

Strange... I don't think I'll ever use them for anything again. I learned my lesson with them but I don't feel good about going back to them. I'd rather just move on. How strange that they have such short memories.