Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

Amex Platinum Benefits - A Running Tally (2016-17 Edition)

I tried to downgrade the Platinum card to a Green via chat, but chat agents are unable to help with this type of request. I didn't expect this to work.

The chat agent gave me a "special number" to call and give verbal authorization to make this change. It's the same number as what is printed on the back of my card.

I called the "special number" and navigated through the menu tree before reaching a human, who was also unable to help. She transferred me to another department where I am on hold waiting for a third Amex employee.

After one chat and a 14:53 phone call (for a total of 3 Amex agents) I was able to downgrade back to a Green.

The third agent was clearly a retention agent, as she reviewed with me my total airfare purchases at 5X, and the use of the Uber and airfare incidental credits. I was still unpersuaded, so she offered me 15,000 MRs (for $2,000 in spending in 3 months) to keep the Platinum, which I also declined.

Earlier this morning I paid the statement balance minus the $550 renewal AF, and the agent told me that she suspended this amount from being due... so I should consider the previous statement as being paid in full once the other payments post. I'm going to watch my account between now and the due date to be certain this works as described.

I'll have the Greenie in my mailbox in 7-10 days.

I tried to downgrade the Platinum card to a Green via chat, but chat agents are unable to help with this type of request. I didn't expect this to work.

The chat agent gave me a "special number" to call and give verbal authorization to make this change. It's the same number as what is printed on the back of my card.

I called the "special number" and navigated through the menu tree before reaching a human, who was also unable to help. She transferred me to another department where I am on hold waiting for a third Amex employee.

After one chat and a 14:53 phone call (for a total of 3 Amex agents) I was able to downgrade back to a Green.

The third agent was clearly a retention agent, as she reviewed with me my total airfare purchases at 5X, and the use of the Uber and airfare incidental credits. I was still unpersuaded, so she offered me 15,000 MRs (for $2,000 in spending in 3 months) to keep the Platinum, which I also declined.

Earlier this morning I paid the statement balance minus the $550 renewal AF, and the agent told me that she suspended this amount from being due... so I should consider the previous statement as being paid in full once the other payments post. I'm going to watch my account between now and the due date to be certain this works as described.

I thought this was odd.

The agent said that she suspended the charge for the $550 renewal AF so I wouldn't have to pay it and then wait for a credit, but she didn't explain further and I didn't ask.

It appears that the charge was flagged as disputed.

I9KtSHB.png

It doesn't appear in my list of open disputes, though...

W7Lrh6Z.png

Edited by cv91915

I got two emails from American Express this morning.

- My Hilton Gold status has been canceled (not used during the Amex Platinum membership period);

- My SPG Gold status has been canceled (not used during the Amex Platinum membership period).

My Marriott Gold status will be unaffected by losing SPG Gold, because I easily earn Marriott Gold through paid stays every year.

Well it seems they're on it with canceling the hotel status levels. Did you match your Marriott Gold to SPG previously? It doesn't matter if you never stay at *wood, but I wonder if the Amex revocation would mess up the Marriott or SPG reward accounts, when you already have status through another method anyway.

And I agree that's very odd the AF charge is "disputed." If the Amex fraud dept gets involved, that will be SO popcorn-worthy.

Didn't you downgrade to Green previously? Was it this dramatic before?

Well it seems they're on it with canceling the hotel status levels. Did you match your Marriott Gold to SPG previously? It doesn't matter if you never stay at *wood, but I wonder if the Amex revocation would mess up the Marriott or SPG reward accounts, when you already have status through another method anyway.

And I agree that's very odd the AF charge is "disputed." If the Amex fraud dept gets involved, that will be SO popcorn-worthy.

Didn't you downgrade to Green previously? Was it this dramatic before?

I don't recall them being this automated the last time I downgraded.

I'm not concerned about Starwood status. Until the loyalty programs are fully integrated (or one is eliminated) I will just continue to stay at properties in the Marriott family like I have for the past several years.

I have linked my loyalty accounts but I couldn't even tell you one advantage of doing that (beyond transferring points back and forth) without looking it up. I am staying at a Westin in a few weeks (that's where my conference is) but that will likely be my only Starwood stay this year.

Edited by cv91915

Did you snag the Schwab Platinum yet?

No, I've thought about it, and I am going to go without a Platinum for a while. I may rethink mid-year.

Awesome -- are you just putting all airfare on CSR or some loyalty card? I book a lot of travel for myself, family and even friends, so Platinum at 6.25% through Schwab is a no-brainer since I also never redeem loyalty miles because when I travel myself, I travel cattle cargo class. But 6.25% on $40,000+ a year in airfare is a no-brainer.

Awesome -- are you just putting all airfare on CSR or some loyalty card? I book a lot of travel for myself, family and even friends, so Platinum at 6.25% through Schwab is a no-brainer since I also never redeem loyalty miles because when I travel myself, I travel cattle cargo class. But 6.25% on $40,000+ a year in airfare is a no-brainer.

I'm only putting the minimum spend for the SUB on the C$R, at least for now.

All other spending, regardless of category, goes on my Aviator Silver until I know how many extra EQMs/EQDs I need to renew my AA Executive Platinum status.

I could probably get by with 3,000 EQDs (from $25,000 in spending) but I will likely need all 10,000 EQMs (from $50,000 in spending) in order to requalify, based on what I currently know about my travel plans for the year.

Look what greeted me when I logged in to my Amex account today.

Reading the terms, this is an upgrade offer and doesn't require me to apply for a new card. :D

ze1ztYV.png

I called in and it requires a new app.

For 60,000 MRs on an Amex I've already had twice, I'm in.

I'm sure you'll get it, since it was a targeted offer. They must REALLY want you to have a Plat. You only cancelled/downgraded to Green what, less than a month ago?

Yes, I applied and it was approved over the phone when I called in to find out if it was an upgrade offer or a new card offer (it wasn't clear online).

I got back to San Diego today and my Green was in the stack of mail that arrived while I was gone, along with a letter that says I have until March 20 to reverse the downgrade and go back to a Platinum. :lol:

So you're getting 60K MR in exchange for just posting up a new account? Sounds like a pretty rocking deal to me -- also surprising that they jammed the offer down your throat this quickly.

Guess Schwab Amex Platinum is on deck for March 2019 for you, now?

So you're getting 60K MR in exchange for just posting up a new account? Sounds like a pretty rocking deal to me -- also surprising that they jammed the offer down your throat this quickly.

Guess Schwab Amex Platinum is on deck for March 2019 for you, now?

Yes, 60k. If I'd never had a Platinum before I would have waited for a 100k offer.

Who knows about the Schwab. If Amex keeps it up I'll never have to look for an alternative.

I thought this was odd.

The agent said that she suspended the charge for the $550 renewal AF so I wouldn't have to pay it and then wait for a credit, but she didn't explain further and I didn't ask.

It appears that the charge was flagged as disputed.

I9KtSHB.png

It doesn't appear in my list of open disputes, though...

W7Lrh6Z.png

Looks like they credited back 11 months of the Platinum AF and then charged me for 11 months on the Green.

I downgraded just a few days after the $550 Platinum AF posted...

Y41ypRV.png

5qpXUOX.png

Did you receive a $15 User credit for this month after having cancelled?

I did get the credit for January after converting to a Green card in December.

Did you receive a $15 User credit for this month after having cancelled?

I did get the credit for January after converting to a Green card in December.

No.

I did get the $200 airline fee credit for 2018 in January though.