Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

Amex Platinum Benefits - A Running Tally (2016-17 Edition)

Rather than update this thread, I'm creating a brand new one for my new Platinum card.

American Express recently announced an enhancement to the rewards earning structure on the Platinum card. Airfare purchases now earn 5 Membership Rewards points per dollar. Since I spend $10,000 to $15,000 a year on airfare, this is a natural draw for me.
I've already had a personal Platinum card, so I don't qualify for a signup bonus per the terms of most publicly-available offers. I really didn't want to open a new card anyway.
I did, however, stumble upon the fact that I was targeted for a 50,000-point offer to upgrade my Green (D*1995) to a Platinum. I accepted the offer, which requires just $3,000 in spending in the first three months.
The card upgrade bonus alone more than obliterates the entire $450 annual fee.
As before, I am going to create a tally of the card's benefits as I use them. I will attempt to estimate the monetary value of each along the way, and add it all up as I go.
I am also going to bring back the list of instances when I use an airport that has a Centurion Lounge, and note whether it was convenient (or possible) to use the lounge.
During my last membership year I basically stopped using the Centurion Lounge at DFW, where I connect frequently, because it almost always requires two train rides between terminals (the lounge is in D, but most of my arrivals and departures are not).
Here's to another rewarding year as a Platinum cardholder.

2016-17 Centurion Lounge Activity

Below is a list of visits to airports that have Centurion Lounges, and whether or not I actually used the facility.

All visits are at DFW unless otherwise noted. The CL is in Terminal D, which is often inconvenient when connecting on a domestic itinerary, which is about 99% of my travel.

10/13/16: NO - Arrive C, Depart B, 41-minute connection

The Business Enhanced Platinum card has new benefits as well that are unique to the biz product:

1.5 MR's/$ on single transactions exceeding $5K

50% points rebate when using MR's to pay for airfare for your pre-selected airline

5x MR's for airfare is NOT applicable for the biz product

Below is a list of visits to airports that have Centurion Lounges, and whether or not I actually used the facility.

All visits are at DFW unless otherwise noted. The CL is in Terminal D, which is often inconvenient when connecting on a domestic itinerary, which is about 99% of my travel.

I'm going to expand the detail that I log for lounge usage (or non-usage), because in addition to the Centurion Lounges, the Platinum card also provides access to:

- Airspace Lounges (currently at JFK/T5, CLE, and my most-frequently-used airport, SAN). I have an Admirals Club membership through my spouse's AA Executive card which also gets me into the Airspace Lounge, but I'll note when I use this lounge anyway.

- Priority Pass Select lounges (may come in handy in Toronto in January and wherever else outside the US our international travel may take us)

- International American Express Lounges (I have no familiarity with this group of lounges)

- Delta Sky Club lounges (unlikely that I'll use this benefit, since the last Delta flight I took was on a Northwest Airlines plane)

I'll probably clean up the formatting later, but so far:

10/13/16: Yes - Airspace Lounge San Diego (connected at DFW - see CL notes)

10/19/16: No - Depart FSD (no lounges)

10/19/16: No - Connected at ORD (used Admirals Club as a benefit of another card)

I am at the Airspace Lounge in San Diego now.

When I presented the Amex Platinum instead of the Citi AA Executive (Admirals Club membership will also get you in here) I learned that using the Platinum also gets me a $10 food and beverage credit per visit.

This is probably the lounge I use most often, since it's a home airport, so this additional benefit will add up quickly. I buy a lot of breakfast sandwiches here. :P

Today I am using a lounge benefit of the Platinum at SAN, but not at ORD. There is no Centurion Lounge at ORD, and even if I had received my Priority Pass card by now it wouldn't be useful since the PP lounge(s) at ORD aren't convenient when connecting on a domestic AA itinerary.

I will update the lounge visit list when I'm on a more convenient device for that type of editing.

When I presented the Amex Platinum instead of the Citi AA Executive (Admirals Club membership will also get you in here) I learned that using the Platinum also gets me a $10 food and beverage credit per visit.

This is probably the lounge I use most often, since it's a home airport, so this additional benefit will add up quickly. I buy a lot of breakfast sandwiches here. :P

Today I am using a lounge benefit of the Platinum at SAN, but not at ORD. There is no Centurion Lounge at ORD, and even if I had received my Priority Pass card by now it wouldn't be useful since the PP lounge(s) at ORD aren't convenient when connecting on a domestic AA itinerary.

I will update the lounge visit list when I'm on a more convenient device for that type of editing.

That's great to learn about the $10 F&B credit at Airspace/SAN, and I wonder if they offer that at the other 3 lounges. OF course the food should be free in the lounge . . . but I guess that's asking too much in North America.

That's great to learn about the $10 F&B credit at Airspace/SAN, and I wonder if they offer that at the other 3 lounges. OF course the food should be free in the lounge . . . but I guess that's asking too much in North America.

There are light snacks, coffee, tea, muffins, bagels, fruit, soft drinks that are free, and some complimentary beer and wine choices, and perhaps some cocktails. I'm always there in the morning so I don't have a lot of knowledge on the adult beverage situation. :P

Food ordered from the menu is additional cost, and probably the more premium alcohol choices.

Silly question, but is there a way to find 'targeted' offers for upgrading an existing card to a Platinum? I obviously have the option on the account webpage, but there isn't an MR offer to do so. (obviously it may be best to sign up for a new account altogether)

Silly question, but is there a way to find 'targeted' offers for upgrading an existing card to a Platinum? I obviously have the option on the account webpage, but there isn't an MR offer to do so. (obviously it may be best to sign up for a new account altogether)

Eventually (see below) I was told that I could find the offer for which I was targeted "on Facebook," however the only info I got about how to find it there was completely vague.

I would just call and ask, and be ready to act if you like the offer.

When I initially called to upgrade my Greenie to a Platinum I was told I that I could do a PC with no MR bonus, or I preferred, I was eligible for a 50k MR bonus for opening a new Platinum (even though I'd had one before), thanks to a targeted offer.

I was undecided, but later called back to take the MR bonus offer to apply for a new card, but no one could see that offer. This went on with multiple departments (customer service, new accounts, retention, etc.) over four or five calls before I went to their Twitter rep, who eventually found the "Facebook offer" for 50k MRs for doing the upgrade.

Edited by cv91915

Eventually (see below) I was told that I could find the offer for which I was targeted "on Facebook," however the only info I got about how to find it there was completely vague.

When I initially called to upgrade my Greenie to a Platinum I was told I that I could do a PC with no MR bonus, or I preferred, I was eligible for a 50k MR bonus for opening a new Platinum (even though I'd had one before), thanks to a targeted offer.

I was undecided, but later called back to take the MR bonus offer to apply for a new card, but no one could see that offer. This went on with multiple departments (customer service, new accounts, retention, etc.) over four or five calls before I went to their Twitter rep, who eventually found the "Facebook offer" for 50k MRs for doing the upgrade.

Just to confirm I am following, they did offer 50k for doing the PC?

I'm not completely against a new account, but if I can move the D* card AND get some MR bonus, I would be much more likely to pull the trigger.

I'm not completely against a new account, but if I can move the D* card AND get some MR bonus, I would be much more likely to pull the trigger.

I currently have a 50K offer in my Amex offers list to upgrade my BGR to a Platinum Biz. It's shown up twice this year but only for a brief period and then poof.

Not taking it yet because I want the 100K SUB for the Biz PT first. I am dragging my feet on this as my EX is itching to be HPd.

I just need to go ahead and App but I have been waiting for better Revolver offers so I can make this a 2fer.

I am only wanting a PT for lounge and certain bennies. This thread will help me maximize the use of a new PT.

First call they offered me 50k to open a new one (nothing to upgrade). Called back and they couldn't find the new-card offer. Several conversations later they came up with 50k to upgrade my Greenie, which I did.

I'm going to expand the detail that I log for lounge usage (or non-usage), because in addition to the Centurion Lounges, the Platinum card also provides access to:

- Airspace Lounges (currently at JFK/T5, CLE, and my most-frequently-used airport, SAN). I have an Admirals Club membership through my spouse's AA Executive card which also gets me into the Airspace Lounge, but I'll note when I use this lounge anyway.

- Priority Pass Select lounges (may come in handy in Toronto in January and wherever else outside the US our international travel may take us)

- International American Express Lounges (I have no familiarity with this group of lounges)

- Delta Sky Club lounges (unlikely that I'll use this benefit, since the last Delta flight I took was on a Northwest Airlines plane)

I'll probably clean up the formatting later, but so far:

10/13/16: Yes - Airspace Lounge San Diego (connected at DFW - see CL notes)

10/19/16: No - Depart FSD (no lounges)

10/19/16: No - Connected at ORD (used Admirals Club as a benefit of another card)

Platinum Lounge Benefit Usage:

10/13/16: Yes - Departed from SAN (used Airspace Lounge, $10 food/bev credit)

10/13/16: No - Connected at DFW (CL inconvenient, PP lounges inconvenient) - Arrived C, departed B

10/19/16: No - Departed from FSD (no lounges)

10/19/16: No - Connected at ORD (no CL, PP lounges inconvenient)

10/29/16: Yes - Departed from SAN (used Airspace Lounge, $10 food/bev credit)

10/29/16: No - Connected at ORD (no CL, PP lounges inconvenient)

Edited by cv91915

First call they offered me 50k to open a new one (nothing to upgrade). Called back and they couldn't find the new-card offer. Several conversations later they came up with 50k to upgrade my Greenie, which I did.

Interesting that you mentioned FB. I went to their page the other day and saw nothing. While browsing my feed this morning I had a targeted promotional offer for the upgrade, so I at least have the bookmarked page that it linked to. Debating pulling the trigger on upgrading the PRG (50k MR for 3k spend).

Platinum Lounge Benefit Usage:

10/13/16: Yes - Departed from SAN (used Airspace Lounge, $10 food/bev credit)

10/13/16: No - Connected at DFW (CL inconvenient, PP lounges inconvenient) - Arrived C, departed B

10/19/16: No - Departed from FSD (no lounges)

10/19/16: No - Connected at ORD (no CL, PP lounges inconvenient)

10/29/16: Yes - Departed from SAN (used Airspace Lounge, $10 food/bev credit)

10/29/16: No - Connected at ORD (no CL, PP lounges inconvenient)

11/05/16: Yes - Departed from SAN (used Airspace Lounge, $10 food/bev credit)

11/05/16: No - Connected at DFW (53 minute connection, CL and PP lounges inconvenient) - arrive A, depart C

Today I used $6.50 of my $10 credit for a breakfast sandwich, and gave the stored-value card with the remainder to a woman who was on her third sparkling wine at 8:15 in the morning.

Today I used $6.50 of my $10 credit for a breakfast sandwich, and gave the stored-value card with the remainder to a woman who was on her third sparkling wine at 8:15 in the morning.

This was your good deed for the day!

Since I travel for pleasure, not business, I'm on my third whatever no matter what time my flight leaves.

I recently got CentDFW access back. I need to see about some weekend travel so I can start burning off some Avios before the next great deval/merge.

I recently got CentDFW access back. I need to see about some weekend travel so I can start burning off some Avios before the next great deval/merge.

I may just sell mine and be done with it.

Where would you sell them? I may be amenable to this as well as I have large balances of TYP, MR, and UR that I can do redemptions on instead due to award space sucking on BA/AA.

Kept my plat this year as they gave me a 40k MR retention bonus. A few weeks ago I couldn't remember if I had used my airline credit, so called the 800# and was told I had the full act available. Used it to buy up to F on a trip and then a few weeks later notice it hadn't been refunded. Called and was told I had already used it, tough luck. Spoke to a supervisor and demanded that he go and listen to the call - they credited me back the amount :)

I'm in and out of DFW and don't mind taking airtrain to the cent lounge, as long as I'll have at least an hour there. Time from the lounge to any gate (assuming you're in a different terminal) is typically 10-12 minutes.

Kept my plat this year as they gave me a 40k MR retention bonus. A few weeks ago I couldn't remember if I had used my airline credit, so called the 800# and was told I had the full act available. Used it to buy up to F on a trip and then a few weeks later notice it hadn't been refunded. Called and was told I had already used it, tough luck. Spoke to a supervisor and demanded that he go and listen to the call - they credited me back the amount :)

I'm in and out of DFW and don't mind taking airtrain to the cent lounge, as long as I'll have at least an hour there. Time from the lounge to any gate (assuming you're in a different terminal) is typically 10-12 minutes.

The Priority Pass lounge at DFW is called "The Lounge," and it's also in Terminal D (same [in]convenience issues as the CL). Have you tried "The Lounge" with your Priority Pass card?

The Priority Pass lounge at DFW is called "The Lounge," and it's also in Terminal D (same [in]convenience issues as the CL). Have you tried "The Lounge" with your Priority Pass card?

Haven't bothered because I like the Cent lounge, even when it's crowded. How is the PP lounge?