Sign in to follow this  
C11Hale

Not sure where to ask this mortgage question ...

I have a question about possible mortgage fraud, but I'm not sure if this is the correct forum.

I just really want to ask someone who knows if this falls into the criteria of mortgage fraud:

My neighbor filed bankruptcy a few years back and he was ordered to sell his house which had significant equity. We're in Virginia where I know you're only allowed $5,000 equity protection in a BK.

He asked his friend to bid on his house at Auction, they did and paid way below its value (Neighbor never moved out during any of this and always occupied the home).

Just a little over a year later, the home was right back in the neighbor's name (county records).

Friend paid $245 sold it back to him for $265, current value approx $420

I just want to know if any of this is legal, or if it is in fact fraud? If so what can I do about it?

I usually don't get involved in other people's business, but this particular neighbor has been the ultimate nightmare. Caught him outside under my windows at night more than once (looking for cat was the excuse). Found foot prints under the windows on several occasions when there was rain/mud. Once was caught in my crawlspace (looking for cat again). There's a lot more, plus a long list of complaints from other neighbors too. I'm the closest one to him thus I get most of the noise problems and trespassing. I've never had a problem with a neighbor before and I'm not really good at being confrontational, so it's not that I'm trying to be spiteful. I just really can't live next to this guy anymore!

From what I've read online, that comes across to me as mortgage and bankruptcy fraud.

Most of us we're so happy when we thought he was leaving, but then he never did.

Welcome to the forum

I am not sure to be honest - if it were a short sale and a friend bought then sold back that would be different - that would have been fraud for sure

The fact that it was sold as a foreclosure (sounds like a cash sale on the court house steps) where anyone can bid to buy makes me hesitate to say it was fraud -

Maybe someone else will know - if it was fraud the only thing you can do is report it to his lender or possibly the BK court -

I wouldn't get my hopes up -

If his erratic behavior continues I would file a police report - and if it doesn't stop seek out a restraining order to keep him away from your property-

Well darn! It definitely wasn't a short sale. Thank you kindly for your input though!

Some of the things he did to us personally I let pass with benefit of the doubt. But if it happens again will have to call. I still have photos of the footprints under my windows and the dates. I'm feel like I'll be ignored if I call on him again. I had already reported him for tying his kids bikes to his truck and pulling them through the streets at decently high speeds. Then I reported them when he did it again. Then I reported bonfire that reached to his 2nd story, and was approx 25 feet from my house (not even allowed here). Another neighbor reported him for tying the kids sleds to his truck and entering traffic (The wife divorced and now lives elsewhere with the kids).

We're out of options with this guy aside from moving. I put up a 6 foot fence I couldn't really afford, motion cameras, and then planted a hedge from the fence to the street (Miracle Grow every 7 days unless I forget). He still burst through the hedge on occasion, so I added a row of thorny knockout roses all along my side of the hedge, which seems to have done the trick for now. I haven't caught anything suspicious on camera yet except plumber crack. Whole lot of that.

Since you have a fence, spend your money on a trained guard dog now. Trained. Very expensive but effective.

I have a neighbor like this, right down to the footprints in the mud. They poison my plants, too, and litter my yard with debris. Everyday. There is no way to prove anything unless you set up a good security camera system. Find a reputable security company (privately owned are the best, I think) and get several cameras the cover all your property.

It will cost a little money but it is worth the peace of mind.