Sign in to follow this  
Fitzhume

Off the Amex Blacklist

IIB Amex back in 2009.

Tried applying a few different times over the past year or 2, only to get the instant denial and letter stating I could not get a card because Amex previously cancelled my accounts.

Applied yesterday for BCE. I did not get instant denial.

Got an email 12+ hours later stating I was approved for $24K! Unbelievable.

So now I am back in with everyone who was IIB,

Congrats!

My BK was 03/2008 - ~$2300 :D

"Thank you for applying for the Blue Cash Preferred from American Express. We're writing to let you know we cannot approve your application at this time because American Express cancelled your previous account(s)."

Congrats!

My BK was 03/2008 - ~$2300 :D

"Thank you for applying for the Blue Cash Preferred from American Express. We're writing to let you know we cannot approve your application at this time because American Express cancelled your previous account(s)."

Thats the message I've been getting all along. Not sure why I was approved this time, but I'll take it.

No BK reporting, all reports are clean. They did pull EX. 763 Fico, 1% util, $495K in open lines. 9 Inq , 5.8 years AAOA

Great job on cleaning and rebuilding since your 2009 BK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I am so close to getting over 500K. Hopefully it will just take a quick call to a Sync UW. Been almost a year since my last round of calls...

I love their inconsistency. BL going on 12 years now, was just declined 2 months ago with the typical ...cancelled previous accounts... nonsense.

Edited by CTSoxFan

Congratulations!

I'm not going to burn an inquiry on Amex until the bk falls off my report but it's good to know that there's a chance that the black list has some gray area.

I love their inconsistency. BL going on 12 years now, was just declined 2 months ago with the typical ...cancelled previous accounts... nonsense.

I'm right there with you but I just got re-admitted to the Amex family last year.

I have a long history with Amex:

• 1988: Green Card for college students
  • 1991: Amex Optima limit started at $1500 grew to $10000, this card eventually became like a line of credit built into my gold card -- I think.
  • 1995: Converted Green card to Gold card
  • ~2000ish: Delta SkyMiles card (wasn't gold then, I was a somewhat early participant in this I think) credit limit $5000
  • 2002 everything charged off in a fireball as I lost my job ( I was used to putting $3k or so on credit cards a month and paying them off monthly or almost monthly), Amex lost about $20k across 3 accounts

no bankruptcy...and I did manage to get most of the damage removed from my credit report over the years by direct disputes and Lexington Law,

I started applying again with Amex in 2008, first was for a regular Green Card.....2011 I applied for a Hilton Card...2013 I applied for Starwood...always denied with previous cancelled account message as shown in the above posts or something like "previous negative account history with Amex.."

HOWEVER, things changed last year.

• 2015: I applied for the Gold Delta SkyMiles card. Approved with $1k limit. My scores were around 690 at the time with all 3 bureaus, 50% utilization but with a few late payments from 2013.
  • 2015+8 months: Denied for $1k credit line increase.
  • 2106: Denied for $1k increase again (just last week). My scores are about 710 on all bureaus, 8% utilization, 3 year AoA, still a few late payments from 2013.

So it took me about 13 years to get off the blacklist!!! My wife works for Delta and she says try to call Delta first over the phone and get the referral transfer to Amex...apparently Amex wants to keep Delta sending the referrals over without angering too many customers with denials, so they are more lenient, plus you get a live credit analyst during the ap process, plus sometimes there is an over-the-phone-only incentive in place from either Delta or Amex. Anyway, 13 years is a long time on the blacklist! When I had my big fall from grace in 2002 I also took a bite out of Citi and Chase, but they both-readmitted me pretty quickly. (Citi bame back within 3 years with a 20K limit - couldn't believe it, it's like they throw their files away yearly or something)

I'm not sure Amex service is so unique or necessary these days, it used to be a big deal for travel etc., but now I think they're not quite as valuable as they used to be. Since they've denied 2 CLI requests with my stats equal or better than others I've seen, I presume I'm still flagged as a less-than-ideal credit risk. I'm happy to be back in their good graces but I don't consider it essential. Good luck...