Thinking of opening a homeless shelter

The last post in this topic was posted 1735 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of busy at the moment, but the DW and myself have decided to take her in. I'll try to follow up later with all the details and dirt on where things stand.

:good::good::good:

best wishes on it all , just keep her on track

now that she's achieved the goal of getting away from parents - you need to have the Boyfriend talk first thing.

What a roller coaster of week, but mountains have been moved. She's ours!!! Her biological parents caved, signed away their rights. The parents doing it vs the courts forcing it, made things so much easier. Now for the fun part of learning this mommy and daddy thing.

As for the former parents. NC is sending them back to SC at some point. SC law enfocement will be providing the transportation. Husband is wanted wanted for workmans comp fraud, the wife is wanted for embezzlement.

Yeah I put the hammer down on boyfriends. Can't have one until she is 45. Well not that harsh. lol.

Teenagers even under normal circumstances, can be moody / hormonal creatures. However not knowing what emotional baggage may or may not arise....................I have done at least one responsible thing...............All firearms that didn't already have trigger locks and tucked away, are now secured six ways to Sunday. I'm not expecting anything weird, but I don't want a phone call 2 months or 2 years down the road that some Sandy Hook or Columbine type crap has happened under my watch. She seems cool, but only time will tell.

Guns are only useful when unlocked and loaded.

Unless you just want a really crappy bat.

I agree. A locked up gun is worthless when it comes to self defense. It was a decision I didn't make lightly.

Good luck to you, and you are doing a great thing for her. :good:

Thank you. Maybe one day I'll introduce her to CB. In the meantime, I gotta get her credit reports. I want to make sure her parents haven't done anything with her identity.

Good luck to you, and you are doing a great thing for her. :good:

Thank you. Maybe one day I'll introduce her to CB. In the meantime, I gotta get her credit reports. I want to make sure her parents haven't done anything with her identity.

You should also consider freezing them.

I agree. A locked up gun is worthless when it comes to self defense. It was a decision I didn't make lightly.

I agree, though until you know her true mental status it's not worth having the next school shooting on your conscience. She may appear all grand on the outside but she must be one f*cked up kid on the inside.

Will she have to change schools now that she's officially out from under her sperm-and-egg donors?

I agree, though until you know her true mental status it's not worth having the next school shooting on your conscience. She may appear all grand on the outside but she must be one f*cked up kid on the inside.

Will she have to change schools now that she's officially out from under her sperm-and-egg donors?

Weelll, probably so, since TheVig &Co is in a different state :blush2:

Weelll, probably so, since TheVig &Co is in a different state :blush2:

Oh. I thought Vig was in the same general area, but sperm-and-egg donors were being shipped off to another state due to outstanding warrants

She's proven Tough - however....

now that her years long journey from crisis to crisis is past, and she's in a safe place,

that's when the grief and sadness hits - I'm sure she's cried before over this, but you should expect some more

get her into counseling keep her busy, get her settled in at the new school, give her chores to do.

you have to get all school records, vaccinations, etc.

We are working on getting her some counseling.

Right now her reactions to things we take for granted are interesting. For example......

Having a washer and dryer, and not having to go to the laundromat.

Cupboards stocked with food.

Phones not ringing off the hook from people looking to get the $20 her parents borrowed from someone last week, etc.

She starts at her new school Monday. School is just down the street.

Right now we are keeping the ground rules simple. Academics come first. I don't think this will be a problem. She seems to be a book worm of sorts. Bedroom must stay clean. No clothes laying all over hell. Most importantly, we are a team, and the team comes first. That's the jist of it.

No outside type chores since we live in an apartment.

We are working on getting her some counseling.

Right now her reactions to things we take for granted are interesting. For example......

Having a washer and dryer, and not having to go to the laundromat.

Cupboards stocked with food.

Phones not ringing off the hook from people looking to get the $20 her parents borrowed from someone last week, etc.

She starts at her new school Monday. School is just down the street.

Right now we are keeping the ground rules simple. Academics come first. I don't think this will be a problem. She seems to be a book worm of sorts. Bedroom must stay clean. No clothes laying all over hell. Most importantly, we are a team, and the team comes first. That's the jist of it.

No outside type chores since we live in an apartment.

Good set of rules, especially the team. When people look at themselves as part of something bigger, like a team, they want to do more and do right for the good of the team. They do not want to let the team down. When you are just an individual, you have no one to let down but yourself. And that's easy for a lot of people.

Good man Vig! And best of luck to all of you!

Not to mention the endless line of debt collectors calling, and perhaps the panic when there's a knock at the door for fear its the po-po coming to take them to the pokey.

• 2 weeks later...

The last post in this topic was posted 1735 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.