Thinking of opening a homeless shelter

The last post in this topic was posted 1816 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Give them the number to the nearest Salvation Army. Explain to them that homelessness means they're out of options. They will probably be separated. Men's shelter and women's shelter. They don't get to choose staying together because they don't have resources to provide for themselves. They're needing shelter which means playing by the rules of the shelters. It sucks, but that's the way it is in charity. Beggars can't be choosers and all that.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I was giving them the $100, the police showed up. A newish resident reported a suspicious vehicle and persons. I told the police, they are family, but I want them gone from here. I gave a brief description to the cops about their plight and shiftiness. Police are impounding the car...............the tag and insurance lapsed over 6 months ago, and the title for the car has issues. Police tell me they will take them to a temporary shelter.

They are out of my hair for now. But I have a gut feeling, this saga is only beginning.

Regardless of stupidity, and shiftiness,

it's still a sad, sad, situation

hope they find some sense now that they have hit rock bottom.

As I was giving them the $100, the police showed up. A newish resident reported a suspicious vehicle and persons. I told the police, they are family, but I want them gone from here. I gave a brief description to the cops about their plight and shiftiness. Police are impounding the car...............the tag and insurance lapsed over 6 months ago, and the title for the car has issues. Police tell me they will take them to a temporary shelter.

They are out of my hair for now. But I have a gut feeling, this saga is only beginning.

Believe it or not, this might not actually be rock bottom. It could get much worse from here.

I agree it's sad. I do hope this situation finally gets them to turn things around.

What's crazy, is they aren't drug addicts, they are nothing more than shopping and eating out addicts.

It's definitely a hard cycle to break. I'm not a fan of cooking so it's hard for me to not eat out. I need to work on that because as the teenagers age off their survivors benefits, I'll have a declining household income. I know another widow who squandered nearly all of the substantially larger amount of insurance benefits she received, has no job skills and is now fostering because her teens are aging off their benefits and soon she'll have no income at all.

Edited by dansamy

You guys are tough.

Love your wife's DR gift.

I thought the DR gift was a little cold, but it makes sense in this case. If you can't manage cash flow, you sure as hell cant manage credit flow.

You guys are tough.

Love your wife's DR gift.

I thought the DR gift was a little cold, but it makes sense in this case. If you can't manage cash flow, you sure as hell cant manage credit flow.

Yeah, as much as we rag on DR, there are people that just shouldn't be exposed to any get now, pay later, situations. If and when they learn to manage their income they can drop DR like a wet suit but that could be well into the future if ever.

• Admin

I think it goes deeper but what do I know. At any rate, enabling them is not going to help anyone. I remember an uncle (my Mother's brother) who would show up out of the blue and ask Mom to take him in "temporarily.." She might have given in, but my Dad laid down the law, and I think she really appreciated it. The burden of saying "no" and whatever consequences might follow were lifted from her shoulders. He even went to my grandparents' house and mooched off them when they themselves had next to nothing - their other children helped them out with the bills. They were finally the ones who sent him packing, since they didn't want to support him.

I remember everyone in the family being upset, and my Mom cried a lot. And yes, the family is lily white. :lol: These things are difficult to handle. I agree that they may come looking for you again. Put them on a bus that does not stop anywhere near you, and don't give them extra money. Ne'er-do-wells actually never do well, and you want them doing it far away from you.

Well the saga continues. I just got a visit from social services regarding the daughter.

No molesting, but apparently her parents like to give her an occasional beat down.

More to come as they want me to go downtown at 1030pm to go before a magistrate and entertain the idea of taking temporary custody of the daughter along with a restraining order against the parents.

Well the saga continues. I just got a visit from social services regarding the daughter.

No molesting, but apparently her parents like to give her an occasional beat down.

More to come as they want me to go downtown at 1030pm to go before a magistrate and entertain the idea of taking temporary custody of the daughter along with a restraining order against the parents.

Is this an arrangement you can tolerate? IMHO It provides for an in on their side and would be a negative.

Little bit of a melt down at the shelter?

or the girl made it up to get out of there and in with you?

can't blame her if that's the case, either way

• Admin

Doesn't she have any other relatives? Grand parents maybe. TRO's aren't worth the paper they're printed on. The kid is going to have issues, maybe big ones, and the parents will still think they have a way to get to you. They obviously think the rules don't apply to them, and they obviously expect family members to take care of them.

Tell social services no way, and walk out. I remember having to do that with Mom in a hospital ER. She had a broken bone and there was no way I could have taken care of her. I told her to trust me, I was going to get her admitted. When the nurse got ready to send us on our way, I just said "I'm not taking her home, I can't take care of her." The nurse said they didn't admit people for a broken arm (really bad break and Mom could not stand up, at that stage.) I repeated what I said and told them to do whatever they had to do, turned around, winked at Mom and walked out. They admitted her.

Do that with the kid. They will put her in a foster home, and you can have time to find another relative to take her. They will pressure you, and guilt you because they need you to step in. If you take her, you'll be letting the elephant put his foot in the tent. Her parents will be back in very little time.

No other relatives. Grandparents are deceased. The father has a brother and sister. However the brother and sister are meth heads and have police records to go with it.

The daughter has bruises on her back and legs. Some old ,some fresh looking. Also two large scar / lash marks on her back.....almost torture type looking.

She is currently in foster care until I figure out if we want to become parents and take her in.

In the mean time though I do have full access / visitation to her. A restraining order is in effect for the parents. I agree restraining orders are worthless most of the time. It's actually two orders. Can't go near the kid, and can't come near me and the DW.

Social services is really trying to pull out all the stops to get me to take her in. Offering to fast track all kinds of assistance in the form of food stamps, medicade, welfare type checks, etc. I told them me and the DW probably make too much money for that stuff. Was told different laws and financial requirements apply in this situation.

Later today, the DW and I are taking her to lunch. We've got a bazillion questions for her.

Way too sad , she's going to need counseling/therapy

& might be better if you don't ask too many questions in a public restaurant - don't instigate a meltdown/blowup

maybe High quality Carryout?

be supportive, eat first , take her out for movie , something fun = talk later, let her talk to a counselor first

Way too sad , she's going to need counseling/therapy

& might be better if you don't ask too many questions in a public restaurant - don't instigate a meltdown/blowup

maybe High quality Carryout?

be supportive, eat first , take her out for movie , something fun = talk later, let her talk to a counselor first

Good idea.

The last post in this topic was posted 1816 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.