Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Method of attack for CR - utility co please help

The last post in this topic was posted 1490 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

There is a utility company (electric) that was paid back in oct 2014. I am trying to get this off of my cr report, but need to know how to proceed since the online dispute reasons from EQ do no really pertain to me. The account as follows:

ABC electric company

account status: 120+days past due

type of account: open

Date of last payment: 10/2014

Date reported: 10/2014

Date closed: 10/2014

DOFD: 10/2013

Activity designator: Paid and closed

Term Frequency: single payment loan

High Credit: $150

Actual payment amount: 150

EQ has reasons such as: 1. not mine 2. balance paid - reporting delinquent in error 3. dates/amount/credit limit in error....things such as this.

I was going to dispute as not mine and hopefully and comes off, but in case it doesn't, i don't want to select that and have nothing to dispute it as again. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

No. Besides lying (the account IS yours, correct?) you are only likely in cementing the account to your report, causing them to refuse any further request for investigation and get a fraud alert put on your account causing problems for future credit repair or applications.

Search "Pay OC not CA" at the top of this forum

Re-reading: apparently the account is Paid In Full?

Above advice stands, but attempt to locate errors or discrepancies in reporting and dispute based on those. If a no go attempt locating executive office to request deletion. If a no go search for a rep willing to delete for goodwill

Edited by mfarmer

Try a complaint with your state public utility commission. They helped me get an old phone overcharge off my CR. My charge was in error, but you can always claim your bill was full of errors I reckon if you feel it was.

Thanks you guys for your input. I did have the account with the utility company, however, i don't remember the amount being what they stated it was on CR because my electric bill was always around the $40 or $50 mark because of the size of my apartment that i resided in at the time. I was going to dispute not mine, because i really couldn't find another reason on EQ to dispute it as. As far as it reporting as 120+days past due...that is an error i think. I will look at the tradeline/CA account and send my request via certified mail and hope for the best.

Am I understanding correctly that you're going to ignore the advice and dispute fraudulently as "not mine" anyways!?

If I'm incorrect - so that continuing to contribute might help - your post isn't making sense: is the negative info being reported by CA or OC!? Your 1st post listed OC as person reporting; your last post says you'll look at "tradeline/CA account." Two whole different issues; 2 whole different ways of approaching.

But again: if you're disputing as "not mine," let me know - I'd save my breath (and time) in that case

Do not dispute it online.

CMRR only.

Look over the information on your credit report and look for anything that might be wrong.

It could be the amount being off by $1 or the date by 1 day. It would be incorrect and you can dispute that.

Get all 3 of your reports and look how the account does not match. The dates will be different, amounts, status, etc.

Use that to your advantage.

Mfarmer, thanks for the correction. It is being reported by the OC and not a CA, my error. Please don't think I'm ignoring your advice, I mean that in a sincere way, advice taken. I'm going to look over the trade line again because there are two errors I see so far that I think might help when disputing, and no I will not dispute "not mine". I will send cmrr on Monday.

Again, it is always good to get a supervisory governmental agency/commission involved if you can, and all utilities have those in most states. Worked well for me, and it is free.

I disagree with mfarmer's characterization of a "not mine" dispute as "lying" or "fraud". This fails to meet the legal definition of fraud, and given that the details of the account as reported by the CRA's do not match the OP's records or recollection of her account with the OC, it is not an unreasonable an unreasonable conclusion that the reported account must belong to someone else. I also disagree with mfarmer's assertion that a "not mine" dispute will somehow lead to a fraud alert. (Got any data to back that up, mfarmer? There are literally hundreds of threads discussing "not mine" disputes that did not lead to a fraud alert).

OP - there are two schools of thought on disputing multiple items. The standard practice has been to dispute each incorrect item individually. This gives you multiple dispute attempts, in the hopes that one of your attempts will land on the desk of someone who's either sympathetic, or (more likely) who simply doesn't want to go through the steps of properly vetting the dispute, and you'll get a deletion. The other practice is the "Jack Attack" (google it). The theory behind the Jack Attack is that the CRA agent's are expected to process X disputes per hour, and if they open your letter and see a dozen specific items they're supposed to investigate, they'll take the easy path and delete the record. In your case, it sounds like you might dispute Account Status, DoFD, Do Last Payment, High Credit, Actual Payment. Whether you do a Jack Attack, or dispute one at a time, I'd save "not mine" for last.

You also have another approach that you can do in parallel with the CRA disputes. As Whipster pointed out, most (all?) utility companies are answerable to a State oversight body. Sending a letter to the executive office of your utility company and CC'ing your State utility commission will often get quick results, because the utility company doesn't want the hassle of addressing the complaint with the utility commission.

The last post in this topic was posted 1490 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.