Square confirms: People really don’t like those chip credit cards

Cappy

The last post in this topic was posted 2098 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

by people, they probably mean beliberflakes who hate waiting to post a new selfie.

Your patience has hit an all time low.

Time for you to shred those chip cards!

I guess you're going credit card free for now.

Congrats! :wave:

Resistance is futile. Chip cards are here to stay.

Smartphone NFC is not a 100% solution. Not everyone has smartphones and they aren't always online.

I've been without a smartphone for the past two days. Mined died. I'm waiting for a warranty replacement to arrive in the mail. If we went 100% smartphone NFC, I would starve to death waiting for a new phone.

Edited by Burgerwars

Smartphone NFC is not a 100% solution. Not everyone has smartphones and they aren't always online.

I've been without a smartphone for the past two days. Mined died. I'm waiting for a warranty replacement to arrive in the mail. If we went 100% smartphone NFC, I would starve to death waiting for a new phone.

Contactless credit cards is, IMO, the best solution. No battery needed!

Unless you keep those cards in a lead-lined armored wallet, it's the best solutions for a scammer with a scanner to walk by you on 7th Avenue and zap your wallet and steal your CC information

Unless you keep those cards in a lead-lined armored wallet, it's the best solutions for a scammer with a scanner to walk by you on 7th Avenue and zap your wallet and steal your CC information

Or if you have 2+ of those cards, and keep them near each other. Then they can't be scanned.

Or if you have 2+ of those cards, and keep them near each other. Then they can't be scanned.

Sure about that? I would think two RFID cards would give unique responses to a probing signal.

The problem is more that the chip "feels" pointless without the PIN component, even if it's more secure than a magstripe. There's no difference to the consumer; you still have to swipe/insert your card and sign. The security benefit is more obvious when you have to enter a PIN, and the card never leaves your hand (food server brings the POS terminal to your table).

NFC has a de facto PIN built into the system since you need to unlock your phone to use it.

Sure about that? I would think two RFID cards would give unique responses to a probing signal.

Yeah, I can stack 10 books at the library and the machine reads them all.

Everything that I've read confirms this.

All of my chip card transactions take longer to process than the swipe process. It is subtle but noticeable. I discussed this with several merchants who have confirmed the extra delay. For the consumer it is minimal as it is only one transaction. For the business, however, it can add up over the course of a business day. A decrease in efficiency is a step in the wrong direction for business owners.

Lost time for consumer AND merchant = fail (in aspect of efficiency)

The problem is more that the chip "feels" pointless without the PIN component, even if it's more secure than a magstripe. There's no difference to the consumer; you still have to swipe/insert your card and sign. The security benefit is more obvious when you have to enter a PIN, and the card never leaves your hand (food server brings the POS terminal to your table).

NFC has a de facto PIN built into the system since you need to unlock your phone to use it.

I have never understood the way some people use their phones. I don't "lock" my phone. I wouldn't even know how.

And why would I? It's in my pocket, unless I'm using it. Or, it's on my desk. Only a very distracted fool would leave their phone just lying around for someone to use/take.

I keep seeing slight encouragement by Wal-Mart and other CC companies trying to encourage me to use my phone to pay - a technology that thus far, escapes me. All that digital information just lying in my phone where any hacker could just join in a wifi network and access it. (That is, I'm pretty sure they can do that, if they know how)

Nah, I'll pass.

Mind you, I say that because I have no idea if using a Smart Phone is any more secure than using the chip/card. I just know I don't like having to figure out yet another method of payment. I should use a specific app for each card, or a specific app for each retailer? And how is this app used? I scan what to get my total? Some barcode on a screen?

In order for smart phone payments to catch on, this information will have to become more obvious to those obtuse folks like myself.

All of my chip card transactions take longer to process than the swipe process. It is subtle but noticeable. I discussed this with several merchants who have confirmed the extra delay. For the consumer it is minimal as it is only one transaction. For the business, however, it can add up over the course of a business day. A decrease in efficiency is a step in the wrong direction for business owners.

Lost time for consumer AND merchant = fail (in aspect of efficiency)

The difference in processing time isn't subtle at all. A swipe takes less than a second. Most chip readers sit there FOREVER processing the transaction.

Plus, with a card with a magnetic strip you can swipe it and be finished before you even get your total. With the chip reader/card, you can have 4 carts full of groceries and your card inserted when the cashier scans your first can of potted meat, but the card and the reader just sit there doing nothing until the last item is scanned and the total button is pressed. That's when the agonizing processing time begins.

Do they still have those scanners that electronically read the magnetic ink on the bottom of a check and get a third-party's approval to accept the check? Those were faster too. We should all go back to writing checks everywhere we pay in person.

I agree... not subtle at all. More like 4x as long as a swipe... not counting the "take it out... ok put it back in... nope... hold on, remove the card please sir... ok put it back in.... etc."

That happened to me yesterday. First the chip transaction didn't work. So he said to swipe.

The system then asked for it to be put back in the chip reader. Machine got stuck. 3 minutes later. Approved! :wave:

Yes... This really happened.

I agree... not subtle at all. More like 4x as long as a swipe... not counting the "take it out... ok put it back in... nope... hold on, remove the card please sir... ok put it back in.... etc."

That happened to me yesterday. First the chip transaction didn't work. So he said to swipe.

The system then asked for it to be put back in the chip reader. Machine got stuck. 3 minutes later. Approved! :wave:

Yes... This really happened.

or the cashiers who get your total ready.... then say "ok swipe please".... I swipe... then its "oh... do you have a chip? push the card in please"....

or the machines the light up on the side when its time to "swipe" but you really need to "chip"...

or Paneras who I love and they put a paper card in the chip reader that basically says "do not use this dumb thing" and they let you pay "olde skool".... LOL.

It sure is fun. LOADS of fun trying to just pay for something.

I have never understood the way some people use their phones. I don't "lock" my phone. I wouldn't even know how.

And why would I? It's in my pocket, unless I'm using it. Or, it's on my desk. Only a very distracted fool would leave their phone just lying around for someone to use/take.

I'm a careful driver, so I never wear a seatbelt. ...

With the amount of information accessible on your phone, you should take steps to secure it. All it takes is access to your email account to steal your identity.

Coincidentally, my wife was just pickpocketed and had her phone stolen. She's lived in cities her whole adult life (including NYC for 5 years), too, so she's not exactly naive.

It's one of those things you never think will happen to you until it actually does.

Anyway, I've started using NFC a lot more because, yes, the chip transactions seem slower and more annoying, while NFC is faster than both chip and swipe. Maybe this is some elaborate conspiracy between Apple/Google and EMV to get everyone to use Apple Pay/Google Wallet.

Edited by Vireo

Yes, the fact that you can not put your card away earlier is annoying and adds further delay. On top of that, you now have to deal with the receipt and the card at the same time.

Businesses must be realizing the chip reader is slowing down the checkout process and making it more awkward, a big step backwards. Surprisingly, I have not heard anything yet from the business owners perspective of lost efficiency.

• 7 months later...

The last post in this topic was posted 2098 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.