Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Need help with OCCU.

The last post in this topic was posted 1536 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Yes, the infamous OCCU, the people who handed out credit cards like candy then when the bigwigs realized how overextended they were, froze nearly everyone's accounts including mine and LIED about it being a fraud issue.

I owe them around $100 and faxed in a D/V letter yesterday.

So I call them (yes I know "don't call them bla bla bla" )but phone calls are a hell of a lot quicker than waiting weeks on letter.

I spoke to credit services and was transferred to their internal collections dept. and they said they "don't validate debts". Rather taken aback, I asked them:

Me: You say I owe you a debt, correct?

Them: Yes

Me: So you wish to collect on said debt, correct?

Them: Yes

Me: OK, so then for legal purposes that makes you a DEBT COLLECTOR and pursuant to the FDCPA you MUST validate the debt you claim I owe.

Them: *stammering* I...I...I guess I will just have our attorney handle this.

Me: Will your attorney contact me?

Them: I highly doubt it.

Me: Will OCCU be contacting me?

Them: I SERIOUSLY doubt it.

I've been more than patient with this company but they won't help me whatsoever.

They are the worst company I have EVER dealt with.

This is the 2nd time I sent them a D/V and they told me where to go.

They claim they have an internal debt collection firm, but if they don't even know what the heck the FDCPA or a "pay for delete" is, I highly doubt it.

Edited by HelpmyCredit90

Well I highly doubt occu is going to hire a lawyer at $250 per hour to handle a $100 debt.

That being said..I'm sure if I send them a 623 letter they are going to say "make me".

..and hiring a lawyer would cost more than the debt owed, which I'm sure they know as well. So I might not have a choice but to pay them.

OCs are not required to respond to 623 letter if they think it is frivelous.

You need to do more research before going after them.

Well I sent them an ITS letter, I'm really tired of their BS.

Curious. What did you write you were going to sue them for in the letter?

Did you not pay the $100 out of spite for closing your account? Or was there a legitimate dispute that you reported to them in writing immediately after you discovered the error?

I will admit I did not pay them out of spite for closing my account, but can you blame me?

Since they told me there was fraud, and would not say anything about it, I strongly felt that someone stole my Identity.

They would not say if the account was compromised due to log in, someone stealing my card, someone changing info on my card, etc.

So due to their big fat lie, I changed credit card accounts, bank accounts, passwords etc because I simply assumed someone could compromise those as well.

This was a entire 2-3 week long process. A long and headache-y nightmare thanks to their lies.

I had a balance of $499 and paid it down to $221 until the "NICE CARD" folks told me I could not longer pay online, could not pay via ACH, and all future payments would need to be done via PAPER CHECK.

Well money aside, I felt like these people were not worth a 39 cent stamp for several months and quit paying them.

It went to 30 day late, 90 day late, etc then finally charged off.

But..this was a year ago..I am in the process of rebuilding and realized what I did was highly salamanderic but hey..we all do stupid stuff at my age.

I've asked them to validate the debt and they said "we don't do that", I told them if I cut them a check for the amount owed, if they would delete it, they said "no chance at all".

Every time I've talked to these people, they have been rude, condensing, unhelpful, and to top it all off previously LIARS, and I want their account off my reports!

Edited by HelpmyCredit90

pay it then ask for good will. write to the CEO/prez explaining your state of mind at the time. then please post his/her response here.

Let's see what their response to the ITS letter is.

It will be FOAD.

You have nothing to sue over.

You did not pay your bills because they shut your account down. The reason does not matter, it happens all the time. Pay your bills and move on.

Who is the $100 dollars hurting more right now, you or them?

You made a mistake, pushing the issue with them over a bill you owe, will stick this on your reports like glue until the very last day they can report.

Edited by C316

Doubt if they will even reply. Like I said, this is perhaps one of the first accounts I would pay due to it's low dollar amount, but they have been rude to me ever since the account charged off.

They may not respond, because you have nothing to sue over.

As hegemony suggested earlier, pay it and try a GW letter. You've been beating them with a stick when you need to sweet talk them. It was your fault that it charged off, after all.

As hegemony suggested earlier, pay it and try a GW letter. You've been beating them with a stick when you need to sweet talk them. It was your fault that it charged off, after all.

As per the last phone call, they said "my account is now being handled by an attorney", which I highly doubt it is over the dollar amount. I'm not really sure what I can do from this point on.

have you met lizardking?

What does The Doors have to do with this?

Also. Even if I do fix everything up, I still have two Charge offs in the $1600 range. I am saving money to move this winter and moving out of this craphole area is top priority.

So I am trying to legally exhaust all methods possible to delete as much as possible with paying as little as possible.

If I had quite a bit of disposable income, I could just send everyone a check. But right now better employment opportunities and a smaller chance of getting robbed (town has turned to crap) is the most important thing on my mind.

Edited by HelpmyCredit90

As per the last phone call, they said "my account is now being handled by an attorney", which I highly doubt it is over the dollar amount. I'm not really sure what I can do from this point on.

have you met lizardking?

What does The Doors have to do with this?

Keep in mind, they can sue for whatever it is you owe, plus court and attorney fees. If they get a judgement it add's a % from the day the judgement was entered depending on the state. It can add up quickly, with no out of pocket costs to them other than filing fees.

Do you really want to risk that with a debt that is so recent?

The last post in this topic was posted 1536 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.