Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

Using My Discovery Card in Canada

I hate coins of any denomination jingling around.

I keep exactly two pieces of paper currency in my wallet at all times... generally the two highest denominations I have. Sometimes that's two $100s, other times it could be a $5 and a $1.

Coins are basically garbage to me. There is no place to put them in my compact wallet, and they fall out of my pockets when I sit.

The only time I need coins in the US is for parking meters. I hardly ever use cash in the US, when I do it's mostly to tip valets at a couple spots I frequent. So I usually lock up quarters, 1's and 5's in my glove box and make my wife carry subprime cash in her purses.

I use cash a lot in China, HK and wherever else I'm roaming around Asia. Coins always work better in subway ticket machines and while I don't really use vending machines they work better there as well. I also carry one of those manly man-purses in Asia so the inconvenience of coins is lessened.

Here in NYC, paying for parking in the street requires cash or CC. Swipe .25 just like that.

The last time I was in LA, I remember the meters accepted nickels.

Is that still the case?

Here in NYC, paying for parking in the street requires cash or CC. Swipe .25 just like that.

Is that still the case?

They do. Five cents won't get you much time, depending where you park. Maybe a couple minutes. Meters now also take credit cards.

Is that still the case?

Depends on the meter. Some take nickels/dimes/quarters. Some only quarters. Some take CC's and coins. Some take CC's only.

I've had an idea forever to make a parking meter with a proximity sensor to tell when the car leaves the space. When the car left, if there was time on the meter, it would cancel the remaining time so the next person got no free parking. If the car was still there when the time expired, it would send out some kind of radio signal to alert nearby parking police of the violation.

Edited by Konrad2012

A lot of the parking meters around here are pay by phone now too. Set up an account with a CC tied to it, the just pay by phone from your account when you are at a meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that still the case?

Depends on the meter. Some take nickels/dimes/quarters. Some only quarters. Some take CC's and coins. Some take CC's only.

I've had an idea forever to make a parking meter with a proximity sensor to tell when the car leaves the space. When the car left, if there was time on the meter, it would cancel the remaining time so the next person got no free parking. If the car was still there when the time expired, it would send out some kind of radio signal to alert nearby parking police of the violation.

But where would you find a city that would adopt such a punitive system?

:P

I was finally able to take the time to download the photos from our trip from the camera to my computer.

I have about 900 photos to review, and I'll post a few that are relevant to this thread in the coming days.

DSC_0281_zpso7dijko6.jpg

Edited by cv91915

Good morning from the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, by the way (two nights free thanks to the signup bonus on the Chase Fairmont card). I was also able to combine our reservation with two upgrade certificates from Fairmont's loyalty program, so we have a mountain-view suite.

How did you use your last Discovery signup bonus?

055E3080-9173-458D-851D-E173F714B00D_zps

Here are a few from the grounds of the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

DSC_0449_zpsh0gbn9yg.jpg

DSC_0450_zpsa6hajm9l.jpg

DSC_0457_zps9f5rgcda.jpg

Is that still the case?

Sorry K-Man, these meters already exist and are in use, and someone already has a patent...although that is just for the wipe out of the time...not sure about the radio signal idea.

Good morning from the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, by the way (two nights free thanks to the signup bonus on the Chase Fairmont card). I was also able to combine our reservation with two upgrade certificates from Fairmont's loyalty program, so we have a mountain-view suite.

DSC_0449_zpsh0gbn9yg.jpg

DSC_0450_zpsa6hajm9l.jpg

DSC_0457_zps9f5rgcda.jpg

Those pics are absolutely amazing!

Which camera was used for this?

Just amazing!!!!

Camera is a Nikon D3300, which I wouldn't haven't known if you hadn't asked... which then made me go look. :P

DSC_0449_zpsh0gbn9yg.jpg

DSC_0450_zpsa6hajm9l.jpg

DSC_0457_zps9f5rgcda.jpg

From one of the restaurants inside the Fairmont.

DSC_0061_zps4h3mlgzr.jpg

Dat 2 summary:

A tour company picked us up at the Fairmont and drove us to the Columbia Icefield, stopping along the way for photo ops with glaciers, lakes and other natural phenomena. The scenery was spectacular. I will post some photos in this thread at the end of my trip.
We made one stop for lunch on the way to the icefield. Lunch, which was at a facility specially designed to serve mobs of people in tour buses, was included in our tour.
After we ate, we visited the gift shop and bought a couple of things. I inserted the Discovery card into the reader and the charge wouldn't go through. The woman looked down at the reader and frowned. "Oooh... Is that a Discover card?" I substituted the Aviator MC and the charge went through.
Once we reached the Columbia Icefield we transferred to a special vehicle designed for the occasion:
ice-explorer-courtesy-brewster-3.jpg?qua
This vehicle drove us out onto a glacier, where we spent about 30 minutes. Really unique experience.
On the way back to Lake Louise we made one more stop at a small retail development (log cabin meets strip mall). We got a bag of Doritos and a scoop of ice cream (not intended for simultaneous consumption). I noticed the JCB logo on the entrance door, so I inserted the Discovery into the card reader with some confidence, and to my relief the charge went through.
We had a light dinner at our hotel, and then walked outside for a leisurely hike on the trails around Lake Louise, which in itself is spectacular to see.

Photo op on the way to the Columbia Icefield.

DSC_0120_zpsprjrvuxy.jpg

DSC_0119_zpscfyab28c.jpg

Is that still the case?

Sorry K-Man, these meters already exist and are in use, and someone already has a patent...although that is just for the wipe out of the time...not sure about the radio signal idea.

See what happens when you ponder things for 10 years and don't act.. ;)

I've never seen anything like it before. Just seemed like such a good racket for the municipalities who wouldn't want it.

Dat 2 summary:

A tour company picked us up at the Fairmont and drove us to the Columbia Icefield, stopping along the way for photo ops with glaciers, lakes and other natural phenomena. The scenery was spectacular. I will post some photos in this thread at the end of my trip.
We made one stop for lunch on the way to the icefield. Lunch, which was at a facility specially designed to serve mobs of people in tour buses, was included in our tour.
After we ate, we visited the gift shop and bought a couple of things. I inserted the Discovery card into the reader and the charge wouldn't go through. The woman looked down at the reader and frowned. "Oooh... Is that a Discover card?" I substituted the Aviator MC and the charge went through.
Once we reached the Columbia Icefield we transferred to a special vehicle designed for the occasion:
ice-explorer-courtesy-brewster-3.jpg?qua
This vehicle drove us out onto a glacier, where we spent about 30 minutes. Really unique experience.
On the way back to Lake Louise we made one more stop at a small retail development (log cabin meets strip mall). We got a bag of Doritos and a scoop of ice cream (not intended for simultaneous consumption). I noticed the JCB logo on the entrance door, so I inserted the Discovery into the card reader with some confidence, and to my relief the charge went through.
We had a light dinner at our hotel, and then walked outside for a leisurely hike on the trails around Lake Louise, which in itself is spectacular to see.

On the glacier:

DSC_0317_zpsstps7ze3.jpg

DSC_0334_zpsostmhp9h.jpg

The glacier, shot from across the street near the gift shop where the cashier was politely puzzled about what to do with my Discovery card:

DSC_0283_zpsicjig0mh.jpg

Edited by cv91915

What else could I possibly need?

IMG_5453_zpsnrbys0ln.jpg

I see your whole problem. What self respecting merchant would want anything to do with THAT butt-ugly card design? Quick, change it out to the Toronto Maple Leafs design.

IMG_5453_zpsnrbys0ln.jpg

You'll need more than Discover. Any Canadian currency you need just find an ATM.

When I go to Canada, without fail, their border services bombards me with questions. I once had to go through secondary/extended screening at Vancouver Airport. They looked through my luggage along with more questions. They finally let me in but what a pain. I'm Global Entry in the U.S. but that doesn't mean anything there for me.

Have fun.

Edited by Burgerwars

IMG_5453_zpsnrbys0ln.jpg

I see your whole problem. What self respecting merchant would want anything to do with THAT butt-ugly card design? Quick, change it out to the Toronto Maple Leafs design.
Or better yet change it for a Chicago Blackhawks card!.

:lol:

Love that photo, cv.

Isn't it creepy the way that mannish queen biotch is peering at you from behind my passport?