Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

The Master Credit Card/Financial Services Computer Glitch Thread

Lifeextension.com has a few credit cards on file with me. Noticed today that my AMEX account was showing $1.00 charge from them, despite no recent orders. Turns out their billing system just did an "update" an now placed a temp hold on all the cards in their database to see if they are still active and have the correct info. Odd. She said the hold will disappear in a few days.

While it is more of an annoyance than a glitch, I'm bugged that more card issuers don't allow you to overpay your card or make payments from their portals for more than the balance due. If I'm going to be charging a lot, I like to often pay before the statement cuts. So many banks and CU's get spooked against allowing this, but I can't determine a reason why.

I THINK I JUST FOUND A COMPUTER GLITCH AT AMAZON.

I just finished processing a return for a defective item we received a couple of days ago.  Seconds later I started getting text/email/FB Messenger notifications stating that I'd just used my card online at Amazon.  For $1.

59 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

I THINK I JUST FOUND A COMPUTER GLITCH AT AMAZON.

I just finished processing a return for a defective item we received a couple of days ago.  Seconds later I started getting text/email/FB Messenger notifications stating that I'd just used my card online at Amazon.  For $1.

Literally every American Express revolver I have shows a $1.00 Amazon authorization, including my Macy's Amex and the AU card on my EveryDay account.  Every Amex I have is on file with Amazon.

My Aviator Mastercard (used to make this particular purchase and the target card for the refund) also has an authorization from Amazon.  None of the other Mastercards I've sampled, nor any of the Visas I've checked, have an authorization.

It appears that the COMPUTER GLITCH may only be impacting Amex cards on my Amazon profile.  

On 9/2/2018 at 10:16 AM, cv91915 said:

Literally every American Express revolver I have shows a $1.00 Amazon authorization, including my Macy's Amex and the AU card on my EveryDay account.  Every Amex I have is on file with Amazon.

My Aviator Mastercard (used to make this particular purchase and the target card for the refund) also has an authorization from Amazon.  None of the other Mastercards I've sampled, nor any of the Visas I've checked, have an authorization.

It appears that the COMPUTER GLITCH may only be impacting Amex cards on my Amazon profile.  

I just saw this post, but I have the same thing randomly happening on my Disco card.  $1.00 pending auth from Amazon, even though I didn't buy anything.  I thought it was fraud, so I called Disco about it the first time it happened and they said it is something Amazon does to verify the card is still valid or something like that.

The charges never post, nor have I had an issues with fraudulent transactions on that card.  So not just an Amex thing, however I have not noticed it on any of the V/MC cards I have linked.

I have a US Bank story to share, and thought this might be a good place. 

I was caught up in a fraud team "glitch."

I called to activate my Cash Plus card, but the rep said my account was already closed. Call the Fraud team. Gave me the number. 

Fraud/Verifications team said there was an issue with implementation of new automated fraud system and it flagged a bunch of accounts it shouldn't have. 

They were able to reverse the account closure. Call back to main line and activate my card. Woohoo!

A few days later, I received a letter from the "CUSTOMER VALIDATION DEPT" saying my account has been cancelled due to "UNVERIFIABLE INFORMATION and VIOLATION OF CARDMEMBER AGREEMENT." The letter was dated before I received the card. "No further use of your card will be permitted, please destroy any cards you have in your possession immediately" etc. I had since activated the card and started using it so I never called.

Then another week goes by and I receive another letter. Same date as the first, two days after application. From the "Verifications Department", "We have reason to believe that a credit card has been opened with your name and personal information. It was opened on XX/XX/XXX via Internet. The address on the application was: XX

We are concerned that the information on the app may not be accurate or you did not apply for this credit card. 
It is imperative that you contact us immediately. 

The address was correct and hasn't changed for a year. The only thing I can think of is my IP may have shown up as out of state. 

After two 8 minute plus waits on hold, I was able to speak to a rep. They said you can disregard that letter it must have been lost in the mail. My initial call to verify was enough. I checked and although the name was different on the first letter, the phone number was the same. Great!

THIS TECHNICALLY ISN'T CREDIT OR FINANCIAL BUT IT IS THE BEST COMPUTER GLITCH I'VE ENCOUNTERED IN A WHILE.

RjdEnxV.png

DISCOVRY GLITCH!!!!!

7QPZGXe.png

Should I call the 100% US BASED CUSTOMER SERVICE number and ask Heather in Utah to go reboot the web server?

2 hours ago, hegemony said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I just read about that. Wouldn't it be a violation of SEC/Fed/NASD margin rules if they let a customer buy $1 million in securities in an account that was only worth $4,000?

I don't have Robinhood Gold or margin capabilities on my account because I wouldn't use it, plus there's a monthly fee even if you don't use it. Having a $1 million margin position in the account with little equity can be deadly if the market swung in the wrong direction.

Anyway, the zero commission feature on Robinhood is now not very compelling since most of the other brokerages now offer the same.

Edited by Burgerwars