Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

The Master Credit Card/Financial Services Computer Glitch Thread

To raise awareness, I'm going to keep a running thread on credit and banking issues caused by "computer glitches."

Here is an ACH payment problem caused by a computer glitch.

You cannot access CLOC funds online. They will send you access checks. Other than that, it's accessed via your checking account.
Say you have $500 in checking and make a $1000 payment (either by check, ACH or debit card -- not sure about BillPay), the $500 will disappear from checking and then it will pull $500 from your CLOC. If you want the whole $1,000 to come from your CLOC, then you need to first remove the $500 from checking and place it in savings. Or just use the CLOC access checks.
I maintain two checking accounts. The one tied to the CLOC has a very minimum balance. Using checks or debit on that account goes directly to CLOC.

Thanks PotO for the explanation I appreciate that. :wave:
A second checking account is free and you can keep a $5 balance. Get a debit card which then becomes your new CLOC Credit Card.
Is it looked upon negatively (like using an overdraft) if you use the CLOC regularly and PIF every month? I ask because I always have side projects with friends who find things to fix up and flip. I could use it as a slush account to fix and flip stuff. That way my cash balances stay more consistent if I ever want to apply for a "real" loan or line of credit.

I've never tried, but I think it might be ok.
I use my $25k Penfed PLOC anywhere from $5k to $20k every month and always PIF and never a problem. Of course I learned the hard way in the first month that they report the balance of your PLOC on the last day or last business day of the month to the credit bureaus and NOT your statement date balance. I could do a lot more fix and flip projects (not real estate) if I had a higher line of credit somewhere, like say $100k. Any suggestions on where to look? I was thinking Chase since I carry large bank account balances with them and have my business merchant account with them where I run over $200k a month through, but they pull Experian (frozen) and I have 2 baddies left on EX and a FICO 08 of 670. My TU & EQ are both 750+. Any suggestions other than switching my banking relationship? I am open to that also though.

Chase doesn't have PLOC on the personal banking side. Perhaps on business side they do. I think it's mostly credit unions that have PLOC products.
Ok, thanks. I just started building my business credit, so will look at a BLOC. Since I put over $200k every month through my merchant account with Chase (zero chargebacks in over a year), do you think I have a chance of a BLOC with them, even though my EX is inferior to my other bureaus at 670? I would have to unfreeze for them, but like I said earlier, my EQ and TU are 750+ and clean as a whistle.

I'm not sure if that would be a help or not. I also use Chase Payment Tech and as far as I can see there is no practical connection between them and the actual banking.

Seems like there is no connection as I have called Chase due to my merchant ACH not showing up and the Chase Bank rep was oblivious to why it could be and live transferred me to Payment Tech to resolve the issue. Twice in the past year they have had computer glitches that caused me to not get my ACH the next day and thankfully it has not been a problem for me. Why I tell people NEVER write checks on the "come", expecting a regular ACH, etc that shows up 99% of the time. Always make sure if it doesn't, you can cover it. Bank errors DO HAPPEN, but it will be YOU that will suffer the consequences if a payment or check bounces. Another good reason to have PLOC's or BLOC's as backups and ASK your bank to use them as overdraft protection because they will not always do that. A lot of banks will also let you tie your credit cards to your bank accounts as an overdraft measure. Most banks are getting away from this, but it is an option. Banking is an art, not a science. Relationships at your bank or CU are critical also. Have at least one person at each branch that will go to bat for you. Donate to their spouse's charity, take them golfing, happy hour, etc. Personal relationships are still the key to the "edge" in today's digital banking era.

No idea what was going on over at Amex. They did all this automatically, I never contacted them.

We are writing to let you know that we are issuing Membership Rewards ® points to your account listed above. Due to a technical error, we were unable to issue these points at the time that you earned them. At American Express, we are committed to providing the best possible experience, which includes informing you of errors such as this.

q1nZncF.png

No idea what was going on over at Amex. They did all this automatically, I never contacted them.

We are writing to let you know that we are issuing Membership Rewards ® points to your account listed above. Due to a technical error, we were unable to issue these points at the time that you earned them. At American Express, we are committed to providing the best possible experience, which includes informing you of errors such as this.

q1nZncF.png

The glitch is a mouse.

Last year AMEX issued me 100,000 MR'S for an AMEX Pt bonus that should have been 75,000 for a BGR. :ph34r:

...and I'm sure you called them up right away to tell them about their mistake. :rofl:

Glitch causes extra gas discounts.

My ExxonMobil card was the first card I app'd for at the very beginning of my journey, was given a $300 CL and have had it for 18 months now. I've probably charged a total of 500 bucks on it total. Today, out of the blue I got an alert that there was a change to my ExxonMobil card. Whopping $100 CLI to $400. Where o where shall I spend this new found credit? LOL

Congrats. $100 is $100 IMO. They started me with $200 and no CLI so far. (7 mo)
I use it to fill up 2X a mo and PIf each time. Basically use to get my 12 cents off per gallon for the first year I think? Maybe 6 mo... Then 6 cents. Plus I like the speed pass. It's linked to my Plenti rewards card.
Only thing that sucks is if I use it and then it posts before my payment does.. Even one tank at $40 makes me 20% Util. I always try to stay below 10 on all my cards.
Anyway, congrats.

ExxonMobil card is an AWESOME card to use in Canada.... because they give you a 6 or 12 cent per LITER discount in US$... LOL!!!
Interesting little glitch i their system... But, a few weeks back, I got somewhere around 60 cents per gallon off, when it was all converted into US..

Computer glitch at Amex delayed an AF refund for over two years.

The check was attached to this notice below a perforated line, so there must be another computer glitch somewhere based on the wording on the notice.

Scan1_zps4l83khkb.png

Synchrony bank "inadvertently" sold account to debt collector and later issues a refund for the amount paid.

We have identified that the referenced account was inadvertently sold. The account has been bought back and payments that were made to the debt buyer on the account are being refunded to you. The account will no longer be reported to the credit reporting agencies. Please find the attached refund check

Original post: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/59eqbn/just_got_a_check_for_1500_from_synchrony_bank_not/

Archive: http://archive.is/yg63n

One bank error in my favor was when I logged into the Bank of America website and did an ACH pull transaction from another bank. I got a message a bit later that the transaction failed. When I logged into the other bank, they pushed that amount to that checking account instead. There was never a corresponding deduction from Bank of America. On their website it was just listed as a failed pull.

It's been over five years, so I think they never figured it out. It wasn't a big amount of money that I made. I kind of wish I entered a bigger amount.

More recently with this "accurate bank," Bank of America charged me a monthly fee for my checking account, even though the minimum balance was way over the minimum amount of $1,500 to avoid a service charge. I think my minimum balance was about $3,000. I called the bank about the approximately $10 fee, and they explained my minimum went below $1,500. I told them unless something has changed in the world of mathematics in the past month, I believe $3,000 is still greater than $1,500. The representative puts me on hold and comes back telling me that indeed $3,000 is greater than $1,500. They reversed the charge.

Edited by Burgerwars

You recently received the first monthly statement for your new Alliant Cashback Visa® Signature Credit Card. You may have noticed that your cashback earnings were calculated on your statement as 2.5% cashback instead of 3% cashback.

We apologize for this error, and are already working on fixing the problem so that your upcoming statements will display your cashback earnings accurately.

We will notify you when your statement correctly reflects your 3% cashback earnings.

You recently received the first monthly statement for your new Alliant Cashback Visa® Signature Credit Card. You may have noticed that your cashback earnings were calculated on your statement as 2.5% cashback instead of 3% cashback.

We apologize for this error, and are already working on fixing the problem so that your upcoming statements will display your cashback earnings accurately.

We will notify you when your statement correctly reflects your 3% cashback earnings.

What is the sum of glitch and memberlicious?

for me it was over about $80

for me it was over about $80

Yum..

Debit card (I know, we shouldn't really be using one) but...

Not sure if this happens with credit cards but I had many issues when my last name had a 'space' by accident; let's just say it's spelled like a French name but some put space and others don't.

For whatever reason, this caused number of rejection at mostly restaurants. Never had an issue at gas stations and other location but needless to say back when I used my debit cards for purchases it was embarrassing :\ As soon as the bank confirmed and profusely apologized they updated my card and never had an issue then. I think it was good experience as I rarely use my debit card unless I have to take cash out for any reason.