Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Apple Pay is Almost Two Years Old - and It's Still Useless

But chips are universal for card issuers.

Apple Pay is Apple only.

You realize Apple Pay is just branding for an actual standard, right? Apple Pay = Samsung Pay = Android Pay = Contactless Payments = NFC Payments. Apple Pay will work where ever any of the mentioned payments work.

Apple Pay is Apple only.

You realize Apple Pay is just branding for an actual standard, right? Apple Pay = Samsung Pay = Android Pay = Contactless Payments = NFC Payments. Apple Pay will work where ever any of the mentioned payments work.

Apple Pay works where Apple Pay is accepted.

Apple Pay is Apple only.

Samsung Pay uses NFC as well as MST meaning it can be used where NFC does NOT work.

Thanks for playing.

I've used Apple Pay since day 1. Granted, it's taken a while for more merchants to add the capability and it will still be a while before more mom & pop shops switch over to a credit card terminal that accepts it, but it's extremely convenient and it works. I use it mainly at supermarkets and drug stores. Other than that, I shop mainly online and Apple Pay is becoming an accepted form of payment online too, however most of my online shopping is via Amazon and they have my card on file so clicking on a buy now button doesn't get any simpler.

How about they worry about rolling out pull Chip & PIN first before worrying about NFC. I don't think we will get to a point anytime soon where the physical card is eliminated (I mean some people still write checks in stores...) so in my view going to C&P is much more meaningful advance then full NFC acceptance.

Not an apple fan at all! My last work phone was an iPhone and I could not wait till my 24 months was up so I could get another android.

I have never used any of my phones for paying a merchant. I have a new fangled invention called a wallet and my phone is usually in my car or briefcase. JMHO and good luck

Apple Pay gets 4.5% in airfare with a US Bank Altitude card, right?

I have the card, havent figured out Apple Pay yet... Was busy meeting minimum spends after I got the card, I have it loaded up on my iPhone, will try using it one of these days. Need to watch a how to buy things online with Apple Pay YouTube tutorial...

MP

Edited by moneypyts

Apple Pay gets 4.5% in airfare with a US Bank Altitude card, right?

I have the card, havent figured out Apple Pay yet... Was busy meeting minimum spends after I got the card, I have it loaded up on my iPhone, will try using it one of these days. Need to watch a how to buy things online with Apple Pay YouTube tutorial...

MP

I'd forgotten about the Apple Pay bonus.

According to footnote #3 on the page linked below, you earn 3x on travel regardless of whether you pay with the card or a mobile wallet. Further, all mobile wallet purchases of any type earn 3x.

http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/mycardusb/html/altitude_reserve.html

Since each point is worth $0.015, that's 4.5% back on all travel purchases, and 4.5% back on mobile wallet purchases of any kind.

How about they worry about rolling out pull Chip & PIN first before worrying about NFC. I don't think we will get to a point anytime soon where the physical card is eliminated (I mean some people still write checks in stores...) so in my view going to C&P is much more meaningful advance then full NFC acceptance.

I really don't look forward to chip with PIN.. imagine trying to remember various pins.

I am not a fan of the chip cards at mom & pop shops with those simple little terminals. I have gone off, and close to it, many times with my card still stuck in the terminal because there is nothing but my crappy memory to remind me it's in there. The ones at larger retailers beep at you. So while I am signing a paper receipt, I get distracted and go off without my card, have a clerk chasing me down, or remember after I get in my car. Never had that happen when I swiped because the card stayed in my hand. Phone is always with me - in my purse or pocket - so I look forward to the day that more places take mobile payments.

NFC is the future. Most terminals can do it just need an update or something to turn the feature on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

One of these days I'm going to try to pay for a $10 Micky D's order with a $25 coin and ask for change. They are small, about the size of a quarter, No doubt they won't take it. So I'll have to use fiat instead.

1999-quarter-ounce-american-platinum-eag

That $25 coin is fiat currency too... The $25 value is independent of the commodity value of the metal it’s made of.

One of these days I'm going to try to pay for a $10 Micky D's order with a $25 coin and ask for change. They are small, about the size of a quarter, No doubt they won't take it. So I'll have to use fiat instead.

1999-quarter-ounce-american-platinum-eag

That $25 coin is fiat currency too... The $25 value is independent of the commodity value of the metal it’s made of.

Yes, it's fiat also when used at face value ($25) in the same sense as a US double eagle ($20) or an old silver dollar. I used to collect the latter as a kid when they were still in circulation to some degree. At the time it was specie, and paper dollar silver certificates could still be switched for raw silver at one of the US govt. assay offices. I actually took a bunch of $1 certs down to the one in New York and got the raw silver a few days before the govt. discontinued redemption in the 60's. All US coin and currency can be traded at market value or stated value as fiat.

Don't think a clerk at McDs would take it for even $25 as it would look like some sort of scam with something bought off of Alibaba.

I am not a fan of the chip cards at mom & pop shops with those simple little terminals. I have gone off, and close to it, many times with my card still stuck in the terminal because there is nothing but my crappy memory to remind me it's in there. The ones at larger retailers beep at you. So while I am signing a paper receipt, I get distracted and go off without my card, have a clerk chasing me down, or remember after I get in my car. Never had that happen when I swiped because the card stayed in my hand. Phone is always with me - in my purse or pocket - so I look forward to the day that more places take mobile payments.

With chip & PIN there is no signing, thus no distraction...

on gas stations and internet and phone providers???

As useless as tits on a boar.

I have never seen a gas station that takes NFC payments. Who goes to their phone or internet provider to pay their bill??

The last time I had to go to a Charter office to exchange a fried box there were only salamanders in there and I doubt they had a credit card. JMHO

As useless as tits on a boar.

I have never seen a gas station that takes NFC payments. Who goes to their phone or internet provider to pay their bill??

The last time I had to go to a Charter office to exchange a fried box there were only salamanders in there and I doubt they had a credit card. JMHO

I read that as gas station purchases, internet and phone provider payments, and mobile payments via one of the listed technologies at any merchant that accepts them.

I read that as gas station purchases, internet and phone provider payments, and mobile payments via one of the listed technologies at any merchant that accepts them.
You read and also used Oxford comma correct. :-) Edited by credit_help

You read and also used Oxford comma correct. :-)

I usually don't put the comma before the and, however there was another and right before, so I used the comma for clarity.

I don't know if that makes mine an Oxford comma or not, since it wasn't at the end of a simple list like red, blue, and green.

Edited by cv91915

I usually don't put the comma before the and, however there was another and right before, so I used the comma for clarity.

I don't know if that makes mine an Oxford comma or not, since it wasn't at the end of a simple list like red, blue, and green.

I took

Gas station purchases

Internet & phone provider payments

Mobile payments

as a list which is in the middle of sentence.

I took

Gas station purchases

Mobile payments

Yes, that is a list which contains a list, which I was attempting to contrast with a list that does not.

I hope no one starts to confuse me with andydallas,,,,,, who , barfs out commas,,,, in,, place,, of,, spa,ces,, other p,unctua,,tion, and, more ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I took

Gas station purchases

Mobile payments

Yes, that is a list which contains a list, which I was attempting to contrast with a list that does not.

I hope no one starts to confuse me with andydallas,,,,,, who , barfs out commas,,,, in,, place,, of,, spa,ces,, other p,unctua,,tion, and, more ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Does bad punctuation bug you? :-) Where's Andy? Edited by credit_help

My iPad Pro 12.9" updated during the night, and when it restarted it wanted me to set up Apple Pay.

I would imagine that the convenience of Apple Pay is only multiplied when it involves dragging a device that's almost as big as a laptop into the store to pay for some Carmex.

My iPad Pro 12.9" updated during the night, and when it restarted it wanted me to set up Apple Pay.

I would imagine that the convenience of Apple Pay is only multiplied when it involves dragging a device that's almost as big as a laptop into the store to pay for some Carmex.

Apple Pay isn’t just for paying in stores. You can use it for paying online or in apps.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201239#inapp

Edited by credit_help