Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

Apple Pay is Almost Two Years Old - and It's Still Useless

CV you should be able to sideload the APK. One perk of android over IOS.

Is that anything like reverse cowgirl?

Where can I read up on this?

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2452614/how-to-sideload-an-app-onto-your-android-phone-or-tablet.html

You should be able to grab the file relatively easy from a google search. Search android pay apk.

Thank you!!

I'm not saying to do this or not. Just be careful as to how and where you download a file to install. Especially with a app that does handle personal credit card information. This is how all the malware stuff happens. Download from trusted sources that are vetted.

My recommendation is this by Android Police.

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-pay/

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

Apple Pay will never be the standard since it requires that everyone carry an Apple device.

If there was a universal smart phone payment method, it might catch on.

I'm mainly a Vons, Ralph's and Target shopper. None taking Apple/Android/Google Pay or NFC near me. It will be a long time, if ever, when we can leave the plastic at home. Edited by Burgerwars

CV you should be able to sideload the APK. One perk of android over IOS.

Is that anything like reverse cowgirl?

Where can I read up on this?

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2452614/how-to-sideload-an-app-onto-your-android-phone-or-tablet.html

You should be able to grab the file relatively easy from a google search. Search android pay apk.

Thank you!!

I'm not saying to do this or not. Just be careful as to how and where you download a file to install. Especially with a app that does handle personal credit card information. This is how all the malware stuff happens. Download from trusted sources that are vetted.

My recommendation is this by Android Police.

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-pay/

I will do that, thanks. I'm also going to wear a rubber.

Apple Pay will never be the standard since it requires that everyone carry an Apple device.

I'm mainly a Vons, Ralph's and Target shopper. None taking Apple/Android/Google Pay or NFC near me. It will be a long time, if ever, when we can leave the plastic at home.

In the U.S. you are correct about that it will be several more years before we can leave credit cards home. Although, you go to places like Japan, Australia or even Canada you most definitely could leave them behind. They've been doing it for years already.

I'm mainly a Vons, Ralph's and Target shopper. None taking Apple/Android/Google Pay or NFC near me. It will be a long time, if ever, when we can leave the plastic at home.
In the U.S. you are correct about that it will be several more years before we can leave credit cards home. Although, you go to places like Japan, Australia or even Canada you most definitely could leave them behind. They've been doing it for years already.

That was not my experience in Japan.

Apple Pay launched in October 2014. I still have no use for it in my everyday life.

I used Apple Pay during the 10% Discovery promotion, and found to be extremely annoying, mainly because of how few places accepted it. I used it mostly for electronics purchases made in person at Best Buy. Normally I would have made these purchases online with my credit card, and had the items delivered for free to my house. I also would have gotten money back from Ebates, or miles from AAdvantage eShopping, for ordering online.

I hadn't tried Apple Pay since, until today.

I recently responded to a US Bank promotion to get $10 back on the first $10+ Apple Pay purchase on my FlexPerks Amex. After I added the card to my Wallet, I had to call in and verify my identity. Then I got a letter sent to me via USPS confirming that my card was approved for use with Apple Pay. I know that this part is on US Bank.

Today I made the qualifying purchase for the US Bank promotion at Sprout's. I still had to select "Credit" on the terminal and sign my name, even though I had already approved the transaction on my iPhone with my thumbprint.

What exactly is the point of this?

I am still waiting for this $10 credit. US Bank is still within the terms of the offer (credit is supposed to post 10-12 weeks after the end of the promotion, which was 8/31). Regardless, how can it possibly take this long?

Apple Pay launched in October 2014. I still have no use for it in my everyday life.

I used Apple Pay during the 10% Discovery promotion, and found to be extremely annoying, mainly because of how few places accepted it. I used it mostly for electronics purchases made in person at Best Buy. Normally I would have made these purchases online with my credit card, and had the items delivered for free to my house. I also would have gotten money back from Ebates, or miles from AAdvantage eShopping, for ordering online.

I hadn't tried Apple Pay since, until today.

I recently responded to a US Bank promotion to get $10 back on the first $10+ Apple Pay purchase on my FlexPerks Amex. After I added the card to my Wallet, I had to call in and verify my identity. Then I got a letter sent to me via USPS confirming that my card was approved for use with Apple Pay. I know that this part is on US Bank.

Today I made the qualifying purchase for the US Bank promotion at Sprout's. I still had to select "Credit" on the terminal and sign my name, even though I had already approved the transaction on my iPhone with my thumbprint.

What exactly is the point of this?

It took 109 days for the spending credit to post.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-27%20at%205.56.4

I use Android pay at fast food stores, one grocery store, and Walgreens. Not many stores or drive thrus that take Android Pay.

Edited by credit_help

For some spending promotion, one time I tried to set up Android Pay on a cheap (~$100) Android phone I have for temporary use when I travel outside the US.

It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally realized that the reason I was having trouble was that the phone didn't have NFC. :lol:

I don't use Android pay much. I used it in Melbourne Australia in August, just to see if my Wells Fargo Bank and ANZ Bank debit cards worked with it (they did). But basically I've never had issues just using my cards. It's a solution for a non-existent problem.

AP / (android/apple).... the whole NFC thing is a nice idea at best until you factor in the skimmers and have to remember to turn the feature on each time. It's a nuisance and most people just opt to swipe/insert the card and move on with their day. I can't even recall seeing someone actually tap their phone to pay for something. I've seen/done the whole NFC card tap though before when it first came out years ago. Until there's better protections in place for your card info it's best to just move on.

Not to mention if you root your phone for additional options it negates the app from working in most cases as well.

I frequently use Apple Pay via my watch, mainly at grocery stores, where it seems to be accepted no matter what. I like it.

But other than that, I usually reach for the plastic. Tapping my watch is easier than reaching for my wallet, but reaching for my wallet is less annoying than having to ask a cashier if they take Apple Pay, like Im a douche bag.

Occasionally, I'll use the drive though at McDonald's for a beverage when travelling. One of the reasons for interminable delays at the payment window is when someone insists on paying using Android/Apple/Samsung/etc. methods of e-payment.

I fail to see the perception of convenience in an electronic wallet.

Occasionally, I'll use the drive though at McDonald's for a beverage when travelling. One of the reasons for interminable delays at the payment window is when someone insists on paying using Android/Apple/Samsung/etc. methods of e-payment.

I fail to see the perception of convenience in an electronic wallet.

How do they pay using a device in drive thru? Do you have to give your phone at the window?

One of these days I'm going to try to pay for a $10 Micky D's order with a $25 coin and ask for change. They are small, about the size of a quarter, No doubt they won't take it. So I'll have to use fiat instead.

1999-quarter-ounce-american-platinum-eag

No way a payment system like this linked to a single phone manufacturer gets full, or close to it, implementation.

I think eventually contactless payments in general (apple, android, etc) will eventually get full acceptance. What will happen is that manufacturers will just stop making card readers that aren't equipped with the technology because it is cheaper to make one model. Kinda like how the keypads at drive up ATM machines have braille on them...

Probably, but Apple Pay won't be it. There needs to be something universal for it to happen.