Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

Apple Pay is Almost Two Years Old - and It's Still Useless

Apple Pay launched in October 2014. I still have no use for it in my everyday life.

I used Apple Pay during the 10% Discovery promotion, and found to be extremely annoying, mainly because of how few places accepted it. I used it mostly for electronics purchases made in person at Best Buy. Normally I would have made these purchases online with my credit card, and had the items delivered for free to my house. I also would have gotten money back from Ebates, or miles from AAdvantage eShopping, for ordering online.

I hadn't tried Apple Pay since, until today.

I recently responded to a US Bank promotion to get $10 back on the first $10+ Apple Pay purchase on my FlexPerks Amex. After I added the card to my Wallet, I had to call in and verify my identity. Then I got a letter sent to me via USPS confirming that my card was approved for use with Apple Pay. I know that this part is on US Bank.

Today I made the qualifying purchase for the US Bank promotion at Sprout's. I still had to select "Credit" on the terminal and sign my name, even though I had already approved the transaction on my iPhone with my thumbprint.

What exactly is the point of this?

Edited by cv91915

Apple Maps works better than Apple Pay.

I stopped using Apple Maps after it had me park in a cul de sac in a residential neighborhood behind a Target, and then it wanted me to walk to the store from there.

I agree. Apple Pay/Android Pay/Google Pay only work at a sliver of the places I shop. Basically Panera Bread and McDonalds, but not other places like Vons or Target. The places are so few that I end up using a card anyway, instead of getting my phone ready.

If these services really want to be a replacement for plastic, they can't sit around what seems like 5% acceptance.

Comment of the day award right here.

So for CV all this "convenience" did was add an extra step. Is that the norm?

I stopped using Apple Maps after it had me park in a cul de sac in a residential neighborhood behind a Target, and then it wanted me to walk to the store from there.

Costco told them you need to drop 10lbs to become sample eligible again.

One chin over the line?

Edited by cv91915

One chin over the line?

Rounding error. ;)

Apple Pay launched in October 2014. I still have no use for it in my everyday life.

I used Apple Pay during the 10% Discovery promotion, and found to be extremely annoying, mainly because of how few places accepted it. I used it mostly for electronics purchases made in person at Best Buy. Normally I would have made these purchases online with my credit card, and had the items delivered for free to my house. I also would have gotten money back from Ebates, or miles from AAdvantage eShopping, for ordering online.

I hadn't tried Apple Pay since, until today.

I recently responded to a US Bank promotion to get $10 back on the first $10+ Apple Pay purchase on my FlexPerks Amex. After I added the card to my Wallet, I had to call in and verify my identity. Then I got a letter sent to me via USPS confirming that my card was approved for use with Apple Pay. I know that this part is on US Bank.

Today I made the qualifying purchase for the US Bank promotion at Sprout's. I still had to select "Credit" on the terminal and sign my name, even though I had already approved the transaction on my iPhone with my thumbprint.

What exactly is the point of this?

I just checked the terms of the US Bank offer because I hadn't seen the $10 credit post.

The credit will be paid 8-10 weeks after the promotion expires on 8/31.

I'm going to spend a lot more than $10 in aggravation making sure the credit eventually posts.

I use AP at the grocery stores each week without issue. As far as signing goes, it is based on the amount of spend. Under $50 no signature required, over $50 have to sign. Not sure if that is store specific or card specific (Amex EDP). If AP went away tomorrow, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Only benefit I can see is putting lower/specific use cards in it to not have to carry them and only carry the ones that get frequent use.

Until there is full acceptance and it can replace carrying cards, it is just a novelty IMO.

A fitting comment from Reddit

"If Apple Pay came before credit/debit cards, the invention of a battery-free payment tool that fits in your wallet might be seen as an improvement."

I use AP at the grocery stores each week without issue. As far as signing goes, it is based on the amount of spend. Under $50 no signature required, over $50 have to sign. Not sure if that is store specific or card specific (Amex EDP). If AP went away tomorrow, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Only benefit I can see is putting lower/specific use cards in it to not have to carry them and only carry the ones that get frequent use.

Until there is full acceptance and it can replace carrying cards, it is just a novelty IMO.

My Sprout's transaction via Apple Pay on my US Bank FlexPerks card was $18.28. Signature was required.

I don't shop at Sprout's much anymore but I think they require a signature on every credit card transaction, regardless of amount. And now, apparently, regardless of how the credit card is used.

A fitting comment from Reddit

"If Apple Pay came before credit/debit cards, the invention of a battery-free payment tool that fits in your wallet might be seen as an improvement."

I agree with this.

Apple Pay will never be the standard since it requires that everyone carry an Apple device.

If there was a universal smart phone payment method, it might catch on.

My Sprout's transaction via Apple Pay on my US Bank FlexPerks card was $18.28. Signature was required.

I don't shop at Sprout's much anymore but I think they require a signature on every credit card transaction, regardless of amount. And now, apparently, regardless of how the credit card is used.

So Sprouts is one of the two stores I go to each week and only have to sign > $50. Wonder if it is card specific or maybe location specific.

Having never been to a Sprout's I can only infer a judgement from what I've read on the boards from those that shop there. Sounds like a generally more upscale store (similar to Whole Foods?). If that's the case those are usually in the 'better part of town'.

Our local Whole Foods, as well as the Kroger and even WalMart, don't require signatures below $50.

Literally YMMV.

Having never been to a Sprout's I can only infer a judgement from what I've read on the boards from those that shop there. Sounds like a generally more upscale store (similar to Whole Foods?). If that's the case those are usually in the 'better part of town'.

Our local Whole Foods, as well as the Kroger and even WalMart, don't require signatures below $50.

Literally YMMV.

Trader Joes + Whole Foods / 2 = Sprout's

Here most Sprouts is in aspirational neighborhoods; one is in the hood.

We do a lot of shopping at Sprouts. The prices are much better than Whole Foods, and the quality is good.

During the Discovery Apple Pay promotion, I was asked a couple times to sign, but was also asked those times for the card. I told them that defeats the purpose of using Apple Pay, and got an answer that it "was their policy."

I would much rather carry cards since I need to anyway with Apple Pay and use the cards instead of my phone.

Literally YMMV.

Isn't there one on W Sahara? That was near my work but I never made it in to check it out. We would eat lunch near there at Bachi Burger. I was in Aliante which did not offer many choices for grocery shopping. Although I understand a new store is going in.

I would pass the another one on my way to one of my jobs. I would not stop. :lol:

Literally YMMV.

Sounds like a perfect happy medium. We do our shopping at both of those.

Literally YMMV.

Sounds like a perfect happy medium. We do our shopping at both of those.

The WF nearest me is on LVBLD and full of vegan hipsters driving electric cars and paying with Apple Pay. That WH has the dumbest entrance and exit in the county. There is an intersection people think is a 4-way stop because it looks like it should be, but it isn't. Locals know it is isn't so treat it as such while all the people from California stop as if it is a 4-way stop. I drive 5 miles further if I want WF to avoid it.

Edited by hegemony