The Master Product Change Thread

Hello CB,

I had the Citi Preferred Secured Card, graduated to unsecured and I'm about 2 months shy of the 1yr mark with it, looking to move into Thank You Preferred or AAdvantage MC, seems like 1yr is the sweet spot for PC. My question is, once your PC is granted do you still get to participate in the points reward promo?

Just a quick update, I called Citi today for a PC figured I'd roll the dice, even though it is under a year since I've had my card, I'm currently at the 10 month mark, the Rep had no problem doing it for me but as she was processing the PC it could not go through because my current credit limit is not high enough! In order to PC into the Thank You Premier and AAdvantage Platinum card you need a min. credit limit of $2K and $500 for Thank You Preferred.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just PCd my Amex Greenie to a Platinum.   The $150 AF on the Greenie isn't worth it to me, but this account is *D 1995 so I want to keep it open.  The only uses I've had for my Greenie wer

Chat agent said the PC would take 24-48 hours... it's already done.  

Looks like the Freedom Unlimited is the logical choice (3 URs/$ on dining).  I don't think this card has ever been in my wallet.

Called AMEX today and requested to see if they would PC my old Clear card I've had for almost a decade. No dice. This is a legacy product that isn't eligible for PC. Kind of a shame to have a $20k card with a 1% rewards structure. I use it once or twice a year with AMEX Offers, but only put through about $600 last year in total. Even their retentions team wasn't able to help.

• 1 year later...

Check your Amex cards for upgrade/PC offers.  

So far this year I've done two Hilton upgrades on the same account (no-AF to $95 to $450 versions) for a total of 300,000 Hilton points.  Note: each upgrade had a spending requirement.

I just accepted an offer to upgrade my Blue Cash Everyday (no AF) to a Blue Cash Preferred ($95 AF).  Offer was $1,000 in spending in 3 months = $250 statement credit.

Chat agent informed me that any spending that occurs after the image of the card changes on the Amex site counts toward the required spending.  The image changes when the PC is complete.

U2d3Yk2.png

18 hours ago, cv91915 said:

So far this year I've done two Hilton upgrades on the same account (no-AF to $95 to $450 versions) for a total of 300,000 Hilton points.  Note: each upgrade had a spending requirement.

I just accepted an offer to upgrade my Blue Cash Everyday (no AF) to a Blue Cash Preferred ($95 AF).  Offer was $1,000 in spending in 3 months = $250 statement credit.

Chat agent informed me that any spending that occurs after the image of the card changes on the Amex site counts toward the required spending.  The image changes when the PC is complete.

U2d3Yk2.png

87vl3Re.png

19 hours ago, cv91915 said:

U2d3Yk2.png

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

87vl3Re.png

$1,000 spending for $250 statement credit is complete.

• 4 months later...

The AF on TAD's Bank of America Premium Rewards Visa posted on 11/30, so I just PCd it to a WWF card (WWF = "World Wildlife Fund," although a pro wrestling version would be pretty novel). 

I will select gas as our "3%" category, but we'll get the Preferred Rewards bonus for all purchases on this no-AF 3/2/1 card.

I chose the WWF version to visually distinguish it from the Cash Rewards Visa, which has the same rewards structure, but that one has online shopping as the "3%" category (5.25%).

From here:

• AF will be refunded
  • New card arrives in 2-4 weeks (from the BoA script, but it never takes this long)
  • New benefits/rewards structure kicks in upon activating the new card
  • The existing card will continue to work until the new one arrives

Nothing non-standard here, just posting the details while they are fresh in my head.

Edited by cv91915

TAD spent only ~$10,000 on his TYP in the past 12 months, so there's no point in paying the $95 AF that just posted.

I PCd this to a Double Cash, which will be a good card for him since he refuses to carry more than one credit card (yes, I've tried to get him to carry a backup). 

Notes from the call:

- 60 days to redeem remaining TY points

- AF refunded when PC is complete
- Account number will change
- Account benefits change to the new card's within 11 days from today
- Can switch back to TYP card until 1/26/20
- New card arrives in 10-14 business days
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 4:16 AM, cv91915 said:

The AF on TAD's Bank of America Premium Rewards Visa posted on 11/30, so I just PCd it to a WWF card (WWF = "World Wildlife Fund," although a pro wrestling version would be pretty novel). 

I will select gas as our "3%" category, but we'll get the Preferred Rewards bonus for all purchases on this no-AF 3/2/1 card.

I chose the WWF version to visually distinguish it from the Cash Rewards Visa, which has the same rewards structure, but that one has online shopping as the "3%" category (5.25%).

From here:

• AF will be refunded
  • New card arrives in 2-4 weeks (from the BoA script, but it never takes this long)

Nothing non-standard here, just posting the details while they are fresh in my head.

🤬

Despite being depicted on their web site as a Visa, TAD's new WWF card was issued as a Mastercard.

So much for 5.25% back on gas at Costco (unlike in San Diego, you can actually get gas at a Mudland Costco without waiting in line for an hour and a half).

Logged into the account:

dAp7XDE.jpg

As advertised:

4iWApCF.jpg

Edited by cv91915
On 12/6/2019 at 7:16 AM, cv91915 said:

From here:

• AF will be refunded

18 hours ago, cv91915 said:

🤬

Despite being depicted on their web site as a Visa, TAD's new WWF card was issued as a Mastercard.

So much for 5.25% back on gas at Costco (unlike in San Diego, you can actually get gas at a Mudland Costco without waiting in line for an hour and a half).

Logged into the account:

dAp7XDE.jpg

As advertised:

4iWApCF.jpg

The card is still available as a Visa.  

To have the card reissued as a Visa requires a repeat of the product change process, which I just completed by phone.

Other notes:

The AF refund on the Premium Rewards card hadn't yet materialized, so the agent manually pushed a $95 credit, which should appear on the account in 2-3 days.  

The WWF MC was mailed on 12/24, which is 18 days after the original PC request.

Edited by cv91915
  • 3 months later...

Our third Bank of America 3/2/1 (5.25 / 3.5 / 1.75) card is on the way.

8cal_prmsigcm_v_250x158.png

\/  \/  \/  \/  \/ is now \/  \/  \/  \/  \/

lafu_cshsigvhd_v_250.png

They would have PCd the Premium Rewards card to another Cash Rewards card, but I didn't want to have to look at the card numbers in order to visually distinguish one physical card from another.

The other 3/2/1 (5.25 / 3.5 / 1.75) cards in our household:

qvyb_cshsigvhd_v_tiger_250x158.png 8ckn_cshsigcm_v_250x158.png

Selected "3%" categories are currently:

Cash Rewards:  Online shopping (hit the $2,500 quarterly cap yesterday 😐 )

WWF:  Online shopping (switched this morning from gas)

US Pride:  TBD

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

lafu_cshsigvhd_v_250.png

They would have PCd the Premium Rewards card to another Cash Rewards card, but I didn't want to have to look at the card numbers in order to visually distinguish one physical card from another.

That red Cash Rewards is hideous. Why can't BoA do something in fake metal like Cap1 and Discovery?

3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

lafu_cshsigvhd_v_250.png

A Pride card that isn't a rainbow? MCmVNzH.gif

Edited by hegemony
1 hour ago, Occam said:

That red Cash Rewards is hideous. Why can't BoA do something in fake metal like Cap1 and Discovery?

The red card is fine.  The tiger card and the angry bird card, on the other hand.... good lord.  :swoon: 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 1:19 PM, cv91915 said:

lafu_cshsigvhd_v_250.png

On the first phone call the agent was working remotely and didn't have the same level of access she normally has to complete the product change, so she had to submit an internal request to be fulfilled after we concluded the call.

Several days later I got an email notification that the new card had shipped, but it took a second call yesterday to get the AF from the Premium Rewards card refunded.

As of now, my angry bird card is still in transit, but my account makes it appear as though I could end up with two cards that have @Occam's beloved red design.

3Rk1ZAi.png

Edited by cv91915
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 9:58 AM, cv91915 said:

On the first phone call the agent was working remotely and didn't have the same level of access she normally has to complete the product change, so she had to submit an internal request to be fulfilled after we concluded the call.

Several days later I got an email notification that the new card had shipped, but it took a second call yesterday to get the AF from the Premium Rewards card refunded.

As of now, my angry bird card is still in transit, but my account makes it appear as though I could end up with two cards that have @Occam's beloved red design.

3Rk1ZAi.png

I ended up receiving a second red Cash Rewards Visa instead of the angry bird motif I requested.

Rather than burn more energy getting this switched, I just took a Sharpie and scribbled something random on the face of the second card.  Problem solved.

• 6 months later...

I just PCd my Amex Greenie to a Platinum.

The $150 AF on the Greenie isn't worth it to me, but this account is *D 1995 so I want to keep it open.  The only uses I've had for my Greenie were:

- 3X on dining, which I'll need to switch to another card (TBD)

- Amex Offers

I had a 25,000-MR offer ($2k spend), which made this is an easy decision.  Between the MRs and the Uber credits, I'm starting a year of Platinum membership $100 in the hole, instead of $150 with the Greenie.  

[Well, technically, there's one full month left before the anniversary date, so I'm also expecting to pay ($550-150)/12 for 1-2 months as well, but at least the Platinum has more benefits ways to claw back my own money.]

If this account wasn't *D 1995 it wouldn't be worth keeping a charge card at all. 

On 5/15/2020 at 5:05 AM, cv91915 said:

I ended up receiving a second red Cash Rewards Visa instead of the angry bird motif I requested.

Rather than burn more energy getting this switched, I just took a Sharpie and scribbled something random on the face of the second card.  Problem solved.

You've got a Sharpie. Why not make it a Black Card?

Changed my 15-year-old Chase United Explorer card ($95 AF, originally it was a OnePass Plus Continental card) to the "United Gateway" no-annual fee card: now 2 miles per dollar on United and gas purchases (yawn) and 1 miles per dollar on everything else. But most importantly, the terms include the "Expanded Award Availability" access to XN mileage fares, just like the United cards with AFs. 

I did it the month before my AF was to be charged, and I got a pro-rated refund posted to my account the next week. So Chase is refunding AFs when you downgrade United cards, even right up to the 11th month of the AF year. 

On 11/16/2020 at 5:10 AM, cv91915 said:

I just PCd my Amex Greenie to a Platinum.

The $150 AF on the Greenie isn't worth it to me, but this account is *D 1995 so I want to keep it open.  The only uses I've had for my Greenie were:

- 3X on dining, which I'll need to switch to another card (TBD)

- Amex Offers

I had a 25,000-MR offer ($2k spend), which made this is an easy decision.  Between the MRs and the Uber credits, I'm starting a year of Platinum membership $100 in the hole, instead of $150 with the Greenie.  

[Well, technically, there's one full month left before the anniversary date, so I'm also expecting to pay ($550-150)/12 for 1-2 months as well, but at least the Platinum has more benefits ways to claw back my own money.]

If this account wasn't *D 1995 it wouldn't be worth keeping a charge card at all. 

I don't know what else could possibly be coming from "FISERV (STARWOOD-OMAHA)," but when did Amex switch to subprime shipping?

Priority Mail?  :rofl:  Things are tough all over. 

D04OiDu.png 

14 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I don't know what else could possibly be coming from "FISERV (STARWOOD-OMAHA)," but when did Amex switch to subprime shipping?

Priority Mail?  :rofl:  Things are tough all over. 

Now that UPS has nerfed their delivery guarantees in the face of coronavirus challenges (incl Next Day & 2nd Day), I'm not going to fault Amex here. 

I've gained newfound respect for USPS (at least they don't leave my packages beside the driveway, in open visibility of the street.  It's always in the mailbox, or on my doorstep (which is at least partially obscured from drive-by lookers).  And USPS Informed Delivery has been a fairly reliable tool for FC mail.

• 7 months later...

After finally getting past the most annoying IVR system I've encountered in a very long time, I just PCd my Freedom Unlimited Visa to a Freedom Flex.

There is no Visa version of the Flex, so there will soon be a Mastercard with my name on it, on the way to my mailbox to make all of my credit dreams come true.

Having a second rotating 5% category card from Chase may be as worthless as t1ts on a boar, but these are my t1ts.  And this is my boar.

• 1 month later...