Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Barclaycard Aviator Silver - EQM Earning/Posting Question

On 11/9/2018 at 4:20 AM, cv91915 said:

The Spend-O-Meter was updated overnight to reflect reaching the $50k threshold as of 11/8.

The 3,000 additional EQDs are not yet reflected on my AAdvantage account.  I will monitor and post updates.

In the interim...

I moved the assortment of all ~8 auto pays to other cards in preparation for closing this one. 

This card went from being worth multiples of the $195 AF to completely worthless to me with the devaluation of just one benefit.

xbGjACs.jpg

HbZ0hoj.png

That was fast.  EQDs showed up today with an effective date of 11/8.

The transaction hadn't yet shown up as of 5:15 a.m., but I was just looking for something else on my AAdvantage account and noticed that it posted sometime in the past few hours.

UvalpZW.png

UBpWWBZ.png

On 11/9/2018 at 9:30 AM, cv91915 said:

(Excerpted to highlight notable points for comment:)

The two biggest downgrades from EP to PP (or below) in 2020 will be:

- The point-earning multiple for redeemable miles, but it doesn't seem like either of us needs more of those (we're at 800k and 400k, and they're stacking up faster than we're using them);

- The 4 SWUs, which are getting increasingly difficult to use.  Last time I tried to book an eligible flight from SAN-HKG there were zero seats for the ensuing 6 months.

So "with you" on banking additional AA miles  (and you've said all that's to be said re SWU's): 

Risk of a seemingly inevitable mile devaluation is very significant.  Both Bev and I relay upon practically all our revenue tickets to maintain desired tier status; FF mile redemption is largely limited to companion family/friends on vacation trips.  I'd estimate that this year we've earned 200k miles between travel/cc spend this year, and only used 60k.  Even dropping out the Aviator spend after next year, we could easily end up with a bank of 2.5 mil miles going into retirement.

That's a healthy bank on which to coast for 5+ years with limited airfare outlay ... but only if we aren't looking at redeeming 100k miles for a typical domestic ticket by then ;)

Mitigating factors for 2019 spending and beyond:

- Putting $50k a year on the Aviator came with an opportunity cost compared to optimizing the spending with other cards, and I can refocus my spending to maximize its return in other equally (or more) meaningful ways.

- I've been paying out-of-pocket for a lot of the discretionary trips between SAN and MUD, and next year I will do more reward redemptions.  This will save a few thousand dollars a year (at the expense of progress toward status, but I'll take the money).

"Opportunity cost" is a huge consideration!  I've rationalized the Silver Aviator as having a 4.2% rebate value, putting it within spitting distance of Chase Sapphire Reserve's 4.5%.  However, I'm using the Reserve points toward current year airfare on non-AA flights.  The newly earned AA miles, on a "first-in first-out" accounting, are about 10 years from redemption (with noted devaluation risk).

As I suggested in a previous post, the most prudent move for me might be to bite the bullet to book FC on one or two itineraries a year so that I meet the EXP EQD spend threshold on revenue tickets alone, and ditch the Aviator for good!!

On 11/9/2018 at 9:30 AM, cv91915 said:

There is also the potential loss of domestic upgrades, however most of the people on the lower end of EP will end up on the higher end of PP (as I presumably will), so at least in theory there won't be much of a difference in this perk. 

Theoretically you're right.  But I'd fear that the purchase reserve of FC seats during the advance upgrade posting would put a PP at much greater risk of being deferred to a gate upgrade.  (I'll own up to being a pessimist, at heart, whenever it comes to upgrade prospects ;) )

On my most frequent routes (ATL -> MS, PA, NV, typically cx via CLT/DFW), I'm enjoying an upgrade success rate of 70%-80% (and relish the benefit:  FC upgrades facilitate A LOT of quality "catch up" naps).

Against, say 80+ segments a year on those routes, I'd gladly pay up $50 ($100 on longer segments) to preserve each incremental upgrade vs Plat Pro.  If I assume a 25% reduction in upgrades (say, a decline to 50%/60% success), that alone justifies $1000 out of pocket to preserve EXP.

< apologies for obsessing on this, but with 40+ itineraries per year, I spend at least 300-400 hours in airports or in flight a year.  We're talking about major "lifestyle" considerations here! :) >

Edited by hdporter

An EQM question came up in another thread, so I wanted to continue that conversation in this thread.

2 hours ago, MWGardener said:

Thanks.  Apping the Aviator Red today, and discussing Citi Exec as well.

Regarding EQMs and EQDs, what thinking drove you to change course.  We are looking at making the majority of our air travel on AA and SWA, so knowing how best to leverage the AA plan is of strong interest.

Appreciate your guidance and insights.

As you may be aware, EQMs and EQDs from credit card spending matter if you want to accelerate your way to the next AA status level.  

Here is an overview of AA's status levels and the requirements to reach them.  https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/elite-status/aadvantage-elite-status.jsp 

For the past three years, EQDs from credit card spending put me over the finish line for attaining Executive Platinum (EP) status.  

AA recently raised the EQD requirement from 12k to 15k https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/aadvantage-program-updates.jsp .  

Next, Barclays diluted the EQD earning benefit.  You can now only earn 3,000 EQDs from spending (vs. 6,000 before).  And now the 3,000 EQDs require the same amount of spending ($50,000 in a calendar year) as the 6,000 required before.

Here is where I finished in 2018:

UBpWWBZ.png

6,000 of the 15,772 EQDs are from spending.  There is little realistic chance that my flying will increase enough next year to hit 15,000 EQDs with only 3,000 from spending, so I'm no longer focusing my spending on maximizing AA EQDs.  Unfortunately, this also means that 2019 will be my last year at the Executive Platinum level for the foreseeable future.

Edited by cv91915

The deadline for current Executive Platinum members to use the SWUs earned in 2019 for 2020 Executive Platinum status has been extended through 7/31/2021.  This is the redemption deadline.  Travel can occur as late as late as 3/31/2022.

While on the phone with an AA agent on another matter, I asked if the recently-announced automatic one-year status extension automatically includes additional SWUs for 2021.

It does not.

Earning additional SWUs requires reaching the reduced activity threshold shown in the chart below (this is the same threshold required to earn EP status if you don't currently have it).

CcsPj00.png

Edited by cv91915

Earlier this week AA announced a number of changes to elite earning thresholds for next year.

Q4 2020 activity will be counted with 2021 activity for elite status qualification, so the 3000 EQDs that I will receive in November for spending $50k on my Aviator Silver this year will be counted in two separate qualification years.  😋 

The earning requirements have increased, but the amount of time available to reach them has also increased (from 12 to 15 months).

They are also waiving the EQD requirement for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro status if you spend $30,000 on one of the cobranded Citi or Barclays cards, although only 2021 spending counts.  

Among the changes (full update  here ):

gqYXQB3.png

- The EQD requirement to reach Gold, Platinum or Platinum Pro is waived if you spend $30,000 on one of several Citi or Barclays AA cards.

I passed the second 2020 EQM milestone with Aviator Silver spending on 10/15, and the EQD milestone on 11/6.

The EQMs finally posted to my AAdvantage account last night, backdated to the day they were earned.  EQDs are still pending.  

2020 status for all customers has been automatically carried over into 2021, so the main benefits for hitting Executive Platinum thresholds this year are:

• 4 more system-wide upgrades
  • Upgrade priority (priority within a status tier is based on EQDs earned in the previous 12 months)

Now the challenge is using all 8 of my SWUs on international flights before the SWUs expire.  The expiration date for the 4 I picked up in 2019 for use in 2020 has already been extended once.

I'm flying on award tickets for the remainder of 2020, since additional EQMs are pointless and more EQDs would only bring marginal incremental benefit.

I do expect AA to have various promotions in 2021 that will make it easier for people who didn't fly much in 2020 to accelerate the earning of elite benefits and EQDs.   While I do enjoy playing the game, I'm only going to play it as long as it continues to pay me back.  

CoamWst.png 

7rIcSdW.png

D7sCB8P.png  

3000 EQDs earned as of 11/6 posted sometime during the night.

I normally wait until near the end of the year to finish the $50k in spending so the EQDs post near the end of the year, since upgrade priority within a status tier goes by EQDs earned in the previous 12 months.

This year there is a double benefit to these Aviator-spending EQDs, because elite qualification for 2022 will include not just 2021 flight activity, but also everything earned in the fourth quarter of 2020.  That means that these EQDs will effectively be counted toward two different status years (2021 and 2022) and will fully offset the increased EQD requirements to re-qualify for Executive Platinum in 2022 ($9,000 -> $12,000).

ixPwpnf.png

3PJ2a00.png

On 12/11/2020 at 3:02 AM, cv91915 said:

This year there is a double benefit to these Aviator-spending EQDs, because elite qualification for 2022 will include not just 2021 flight activity, but also everything earned in the fourth quarter of 2020.  That means that these EQDs will effectively be counted toward two different status years (2021 and 2022) and will fully offset the increased EQD requirements to re-qualify for Executive Platinum in 2022 ($9,000 -> $12,000).

You are one of the worst posters on CB, posting your imaginary credit card benefits to hoodwink the rest of us who work hard every day and don't have the luxury of having 27 credit cards, a Turkish husband with boobs, and your silver "look at me" 2008 Lexus RX.

The terms say base EQDs, and assuming you have the eye-hand coordination to use an internet-connected device to check your AAdvantage account right now you'll see how wrong you are, you flaming bag of giraffe diarrhea. 

At some point I'm going to see you on a Frontier flight, and on that day - with great pleasure - I'm going to sneak up behind you and wipe a bloody booger in your hair.

I gather that self-flagellation is a recreational pastime, but I wouldn't beat yourself up over this over sight.  It's difficult to discern and keep track of all the nuances with airline and credit card programs.

It's not like you wouldn't have stretched to renew EXP into 2021 if you had understood that the bonus EQD's (and EQM's) weren't going to carry over.