Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Barclaycard Aviator Silver - EQM Earning/Posting Question

The second batch of EQMs earned at the $40,000 spending threshold finally posted during the night, dated on June 28 when the milestone was reached.

SsAvkVM.png

A quick progress check on requalifying for Executive Platinum (12,000 EQDs and 100,000 EQMs in 2018) through January of 2020 is below.  10,000 of the EQMs and 3,000 of the EQDs have come from spending on this card. 

I'm about $9,400 shy of earning the second and final batch of EQDs from card spending.  There is a delay reaching this milestone while I finish picking up the SUB on the Citi AA Executive card I just opened.  

Now that upgrades are prioritized within each status tier by trailing 12-months EQDs, I'd rather have the second batch of 3,000 EQDs post later in the year anyway.  After August my planned travel for the year slows to a relative trickle.

rFXfZZp.png

In other news unrelated to credit card spending or rewards, I'm two trips away from reaching Million Miler status (which bestows Gold status for life, for what that's worth).  

I should cross over the million mile mark somewhere between San Diego and Dallas on July 30.  I'll pick up the bulk of the difference between now and then on a quick trip to Boston (SAN-ORD-BOS / BOS-ORD-SAN) where I'm meeting TAD for the weekend.

u8HltFZ.png

After my DCA-MUD trip yesterday I surpassed the EQD threshold required to renew my Executive Platinum status through January of 2020. 

9,109 of the EQDs earned so far were from paid airfare; the other 3,000 were from Aviator spending.

I'll surpass the required EQMs when I go back to San Diego on 10/13. 

89,205 of the current 2018 EQMs are from flying; the other 10,000 are from Aviator spending.

gr7GqQo.png

I've nearly earned the second batch of 3,000 EQDs. 

I'm going to switch to a different card for daily spending, effective immediately. 

The monthly bills I pay automatically with the Aviator will easily get me over the $50,000 spending threshold well before the end of the year.  At that point I'll get the second batch of 3,000 EQDs.

daEieFh.png

In other news I reached Million Miler status on July 30, which confers Gold status for life (for what that's worth) and got me 35,000 bonus miles and some new Million Miler luggage tags for the drawer.

hqbdA5u.png

The next million will likely 'fly' by too.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-does-time-seem-to-speed-up-with-age/

"...Our brain encodes new experiences, but not familiar ones, into memory, and our retrospective judgment of time is based on how many new memories we create over a certain period. In other words, the more new memories we build on a weekend getaway, the longer that trip will seem in hindsight.

This phenomenon, which Hammond has dubbed the holiday paradox, seems to present one of the best clues as to why, in retrospect, time seems to pass more quickly the older we get..."

Thanks to the first batch of 3,000 EQDs (and lots of actual flying) I just renewed Executive Platinum status through January of 2020.

The last 3,000 EQDs from Aviator spending are still coming.  I've slowed the spending on this card to a trickle while I pick up SUBs on some other cards, but I'll easily cross $50k with the recurring bills that get charged to this card every month.

6jtwgSf.png

8pSW6N8.png

This is sucky news.

In 2019 I'll have to spend $50k on this card to get 3,000 EQDs, the max this card will earn no matter how much I spend. 

https://onemileatatime.com/american-barclaycard-elite-qualifying-dollars/

I'm at 12,264 EQDs for the year, 9,264 from flying and 3,000 from the first $25,000 of Aviator spending, and another 3,000 EQDs from spending will be arriving in the next couple of weeks.  

I have one more trip this year on a revenue ticket (~$600), and that will be it for 2018.

4AphKlc.png

Another blog suggests that 3,000 additional EQDs can be earned by spending $25,000 on one of the Barclays Aviator business cards, but it's unlikely that I'll have the appetite to run $75k a year through two otherwise-useless Barclays products.

If AA raises the Executive Platinum EQD requirement to 15,000 like Delta and United recently did for their similar status levels, I'm officially hopping off the EP status treadmill.

Edited by cv91915

$25k credit card spend on AA airfare alone (myself and wife) for the sake $3000 EQD was a no-brainer and involved no stretch.  I'm not going to divert $25k of standard spending for the sake of maintaining the EQD bonus on $50k spend going forward and will relish moving the airfare spending over to Chase Sapphire Reserve for the 4.5% travel credit.

My "base" EQD earning from AA travel has been coming in around $10k-$11k annually.  I don't want to lose Exec Plat but I'm not sure I can fit in/justify more travel. 

Out of curiosity, having upgraded my Red to Silver this year, do I benefit from the 1 year reprieve extended to "new" cardholders?

38 minutes ago, hdporter said:

$25k credit card spend on AA airfare alone (myself and wife) for the sake $3000 EQD was a no-brainer and involved no stretch.  I'm not going to divert $25k of standard spending for the sake of maintaining the EQD bonus on $50k spend going forward and will relish moving the airfare spending over to Chase Sapphire Reserve for the 4.5% travel credit.

My "base" EQD earning from AA travel has been coming in around $10k-$11k annually.  I don't want to lose Exec Plat but I'm not sure I can fit in/justify more travel. 

Out of curiosity, having upgraded my Red to Silver this year, do I benefit from the 1 year reprieve extended to "new" cardholders?

I'm still absorbing some of this, but from this summary of the changes it appears that you could still get 3,000 EQDs for spending $25,000 on one of the Business cards (you'd have to apply for one, obviously; they won't PC a personal to a business card).

No idea if the upgrade would count as a new card for 2018. If you call and get the answer, please post it here.

On 10/23/2018 at 10:15 AM, cv91915 said:

I'm still absorbing some of this, but from this summary of the changes it appears that you could still get 3,000 EQDs for spending $25,000 on one of the Business cards (you'd have to apply for one, obviously; they won't PC a personal to a business card).

No idea if the upgrade would count as a new card for 2018. If you call and get the answer, please post it here.

Good point re a possible app for the Business card.  Silver would be closed if I did.  However, I just got a modest "tickle" from my last Aviator statement in which 10k+ miles posted to my account for $3k+ in ticket purchases (a lot of travel coming up with spouse).  I'd be sorry to see that earning diluted back to 2:1.   Food for thought ...

12 hours ago, hdporter said:

Good point re a possible app for the Business card.  Silver would be closed if I did.  However, I just got a modest "tickle" from my last Aviator statement in which 10k+ miles posted to my account for $3k+ in ticket purchases (a lot of travel coming up with spouse).  I'd be sorry to see that earning diluted back to 2:1.   Food for thought ...

I'm immune to temptation by redeemable miles...  :)  

On 10/25/2018 at 11:18 AM, cv91915 said:

I'm immune to temptation by redeemable miles...  :)  

I hear that loud and clear.  However, the 3x AA reward miles on the Silver card makes me much more comfortable charging air to my Barclays Aviator for the sake of EQD tier earning.

I'm secure in valuing AA miles at 1.4 cents.  3x gets me 4.2 cents per $1 air, close enough for comfort vs. what I'd earn on Chase Sapphire Reserve.

Of course, the fact that I have $15k+ in banked mileage takes some of that comfort away ... future devaluations are a certainty.  (Sorry for late reply ...)

cv, looking back I see your first batch of EQD bonus from the Aviator cc posted within 2 days of passing the threshold.

Last time I was able to view my credit card spending summary (Barclays website's been down since Wed pm), I had passed my $25k spend hurdle late last week.  Still no posting to my Aviator account ...

EQD balance without the 3000 boost is currently $8800.  (I have about $2500 in AA tickets for travel through the rest of the year.)  Will follow up with AA once I reconfirm Aviator spending bonus.

3 hours ago, hdporter said:

cv, looking back I see your first batch of EQD bonus from the Aviator cc posted within 2 days of passing the threshold.

Last time I was able to view my credit card spending summary (Barclays website's been down since Wed pm), I had passed my $25k spend hurdle late last week.  Still no posting to my Aviator account ...

EQD balance without the 3000 boost is currently $8800.  (I have about $2500 in AA tickets for travel through the rest of the year.)  Will follow up with AA once I reconfirm Aviator spending bonus.

I wonder if someone just unplugged a bunch of servers and went home on Wednesday night (or maybe this is a really big COMPUTER GLITCH).

I'll watch for your post.  I'm also expecting to cross a threshold very soon and will post results, and we can compare notes.

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

I wonder if someone just unplugged a bunch of servers and went home on Wednesday night (or maybe this is a really big COMPUTER GLITCH).

I'll watch for your post.  I'm also expecting to cross a threshold very soon and will post results, and we can compare notes.

Dating myself, the image of a SimCity-esque Godzilla attack has been flitting through my mind.

Just noted the separate thread post of a successful Barclays login ... looks like they inadvertently left the "system unavailable" message on the login screen (I didn't bother trying a few minutes ago until I saw the post).

So, Aviator card site says I earned 3000 EQD Oct 20 (and, FWIW, statement cut on Oct 23).  Rechecking aa.com, it hasn't posted yet, although miles related to purchases have.  Site says tx may take up to 2 weeks to post.  I'll contact them Monday if it still hasn't shown.

Edited by hdporter

So, just got off the phone with Barclays/Aviator CS ... they say it can take 6-8 weeks for the purchase EQD bonus to post to my AAdvantage account.

Also, despite no change in card number, my upgrade to Silver this year does give me a 1 year respite before the purchase threshold for the first 3000 EQD bonus is increased from $25k to $50k.

Keeping my fingers crossed CSR was well informed on both counts ;)

On 11/1/2018 at 7:26 AM, cv91915 said:

Not quite there...

wK8jGBT.png

The monthly autopay for our HOA usually gets processed on the 5th of each month, and it's charged to this card.  

That will put me over $50,000, and then I'll start watching for the EQDs to post.

On 10/23/2018 at 9:15 AM, cv91915 said:

This is sucky news.

In 2019 I'll have to spend $50k on this card to get 3,000 EQDs, the max this card will earn no matter how much I spend. 

https://onemileatatime.com/american-barclaycard-elite-qualifying-dollars/

I'm at 12,264 EQDs for the year, 9,264 from flying and 3,000 from the first $25,000 of Aviator spending, and another 3,000 EQDs from spending will be arriving in the next couple of weeks.  

I have one more trip this year on a revenue ticket (~$600), and that will be it for 2018.

4AphKlc.png

Another blog suggests that 3,000 additional EQDs can be earned by spending $25,000 on one of the Barclays Aviator business cards, but it's unlikely that I'll have the appetite to run $75k a year through two otherwise-useless Barclays products.

If AA raises the Executive Platinum EQD requirement to 15,000 like Delta and United recently did for their similar status levels, I'm officially hopping off the EP status treadmill.

Unless something changes, it looks like 2019 will be my final year for a while at the Executive Platinum status level.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/aadvantage-program-updates.jsp?tripType=roundTrip%26c=EML||20181105|ADV|MKT|SOLO||LPM_ProgramChange 

Edited by cv91915

Separately, Bev received a notice that EQD's will no longer be earned on her Red card after the first of the year.   They're really tightening up EQD's ... makes me wonder whether the business card is safe.

Of course, not an issue for us.  We've been charging all air to my Silver, and maintaining hers for the sake of the mileage redemption credit and low fee bt's.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:26 AM, cv91915 said:

Not quite there...

wK8jGBT.png

On 11/5/2018 at 5:23 AM, cv91915 said:

The monthly autopay for our HOA usually gets processed on the 5th of each month, and it's charged to this card.  

That will put me over $50,000, and then I'll start watching for the EQDs to post.

HOA payment posted overnight with a transaction date of 11/5.

The EQD spend-o-meter has not moved.

The Spend-O-Meter was updated overnight to reflect reaching the $50k threshold as of 11/8.

The 3,000 additional EQDs are not yet reflected on my AAdvantage account.  I will monitor and post updates.

In the interim...

I moved the assortment of all ~8 auto pays to other cards in preparation for closing this one. 

This card went from being worth multiples of the $195 AF to completely worthless to me with the devaluation of just one benefit.

xbGjACs.jpg

HbZ0hoj.png

My 3000 EQD bonus at $25k Aviator spend has yet to post.  Barclays states the threshold was crossed Oct 20.  (Once it posts, I'll meet my 12k EQD for EXP tier; I'll have $2k added EQD through the rest of the year through purchased itineraries.)

As far as my Silver Aviator, as previously noted, because I didn't upgrade until this year, I'm grandfathered into the present EQD bonuses until end of 2019.  On the fence as to whether I'll keep it beyond that. 

To the card's credit, since my $25k spend is strictly spent on AA airfare for Bev and myself, I figure I'm getting an effective 4.2% rebate on purchases.  (3 miles/$ air spend, valued at 1.4 cents per mile.)  I trust the companion ticket certificate at $30k will, alone, justify the $195 annual fee (I assume it's subject to much the same capacity restrictions as mileage redemption).

On the other hand, I just crossed the threshold of 1 mil banked miles; Bev has 600k+.  We're pretty vulnerable to devaluation in presently only redeeming about 100k annually.

Without an EQD kicker from the credit card at $25k spend, it's doubtful I can maintain Exec Plat on AA, unless I buy up to a couple of FC fares each year.  Really hate the idea of any unnecessary spend just to maintain status.

Well, I've got a year to come to terms with whatever's down the road ... ;)

33 minutes ago, hdporter said:

My 3000 EQD bonus at $25k Aviator spend has yet to post.  Barclays states the threshold was crossed Oct 20.  (Once it posts, I'll meet my 12k EQD for EXP tier; I'll have $2k added EQD through the rest of the year through purchased itineraries.)

As far as my Silver Aviator, as previously noted, because I didn't upgrade until this year, I'm grandfathered into the present EQD bonuses until end of 2019.  On the fence as to whether I'll keep it beyond that. 

To the card's credit, since my $25k spend is strictly spent on AA airfare for Bev and myself, I figure I'm getting an effective 4.2% rebate on purchases.  (3 miles/$ air spend, valued at 1.4 cents per mile.)  I trust the companion ticket certificate at $30k will, alone, justify the $195 annual fee (I assume it's subject to much the same capacity restrictions as mileage redemption).

On the other hand, I just crossed the threshold of 1 mil banked miles; Bev has 600k+.  We're pretty vulnerable to devaluation in presently only redeeming about 100k annually.

Without an EQD kicker from the credit card at $25k spend, it's doubtful I can maintain Exec Plat on AA, unless I buy up to a couple of FC fares each year.  Really hate the idea of any unnecessary spend just to maintain status.

Well, I've got a year to come to terms with whatever's down the road ... ;)

The EQDs were great while they lasted.

The two biggest downgrades from EP to PP (or below) in 2020 will be:

- The point-earning multiple for redeemable miles, but it doesn't seem like either of us needs more of those (we're at 800k and 400k, and they're stacking up faster than we're using them);

- The 4 SWUs, which are getting increasingly difficult to use.  Last time I tried to book an eligible flight from SAN-HKG there were zero seats for the ensuing 6 months.

There is also the potential loss of domestic upgrades, however most of the people on the lower end of EP will end up on the higher end of PP (as I presumably will), so at least in theory there won't be much of a difference in this perk.

Mitigating factors for 2019 spending and beyond:

- I can easily make up the difference in value by switching my spending strategy from EQDs on this card to SUBs on new cards;

- Putting $50k a year on the Aviator came with an opportunity cost compared to optimizing the spending with other cards, and I can refocus my spending to maximize its return in other equally (or more) meaningful ways.

- I've been paying out-of-pocket for a lot of the discretionary trips between SAN and MUD, and next year I will do more reward redemptions.  This will save a few thousand dollars a year (at the expense of progress toward status, but I'll take the money).

Edited by cv91915