Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Barclaycard Aviator Silver - EQM Earning/Posting Question

YYZ in December? Guess you're really trying to avoid the ball stickage. The flip side of that strategy is phallic shrinkage.

Yes. Plans with friends changed from Thanksgiving in Costa Rica to New Years in Toronto.

If you'll recall, our other genius travel move this year was going to Puerto Rico in July.

:offtopic:

I've got >15k EQM with UA on COPA but was sad to learn that while COPA BIS count for EQM they do not count toward EQD. This leaves me $14 away from 1K in terms of spend (well over for 1K EQM) with no trips planned for the rest of 2016. Since I generally don't play upgrade roulette I'm not sure I'll make the effort to reach 1K for the marginal increase in benefits. Perhaps UA will gift me 1K as it gifted me Gold for 2016?

I've got >15k EQM with UA on COPA but was sad to learn that while COPA BIS count for EQM they do not count toward EQD. This leaves me $14 away from 1K in terms of spend (well over for 1K EQM) with no trips planned for the rest of 2016. Since I generally don't play upgrade roulette I'm not sure I'll make the effort to reach 1K for the marginal increase in benefits. Perhaps UA will gift me 1K as it gifted me Gold for 2016?

I'd do the shortest, cheapest mileage run you can find.

The 2 extra miles/$ and the 6 GPU's should be worth it.

I'd do the shortest, cheapest mileage run you can find.

The 2 extra miles/$ and the 6 GPU's should be worth it.

after typing the above and reading what I wrote I suppose it makes a lot of sense. I expect 2017 to be a heavier travel year. Luckily most of my BIS miles are longhaul and not earned via 50 flights to MUD.

Edited by hegemony

They wouldn't claw back the EQMs if I downgraded the card now, would they?

I could survive a 5,000 EQM clawback thanks to some recent unplanned travel, but if I lost all 10,000 I'd lose EP status.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-30%20at%208.18.4

I only have one more revenue ticket planned for 2016 (one-way, SAN-DFW-YYZ, on 12/28), and I don't see that changing.

Point of interest: Barclaycard doesn't charge any additional AF when you upgrade from the Red to the Silver in the middle of a membership year. I paid the $89 AF in April of 2016, nothing additional for the Silver benefits since then, and if I downgrade back to Red, the chances of getting the AF waived next year are about 100% based on what I've read.

By sheer coincidence, TD just called and told me that he may to have to cancel a $4,000+ order for some equipment he ordered for work (and paid for with the Aviator in October), because the vendor won't have what he needs in the timeline they promised.

We stopped using the card immediately after we hit $40,000 in spending, so we'll see what happens. I'll post back if he initiates the refund, and I'll document the outcome and chronology of events in this thread.

I'm glad I have a cushion in case I lose the second batch of EQMs I earned from spending.

Has Barclay's clawed back points before? This isn't Amex, but the real question is this: is Exec Plat status worth the annual fee of the Silver card?

After all, you did get an upgrade out of Mudville!

I am sure they will deduct the 4,000 redeemable miles we earned for the purchase. In question are the EQMs.

The two upgrades I've already gotten are worth more than the $195 AF on this card.

Has Barclay's clawed back points before? This isn't Amex, but the real question is this: is Exec Plat status worth the annual fee of the Silver card?

I am sure they will deduct the 4,000 redeemable miles we earned for the purchase. In question are the EQMs.

The two upgrades I've already gotten are worth more than the $195 AF on this card.

Buy $4K in VGC's

Buy $4K in VGC's

I have enough cushion to withstand a 5,000 EQM clawback and still keep Executive Platinum status... this is more of an academic discussion.

We are sitting on about 1.1 million AA miles, so M$ing for more isn't going to happen.

Buy $4K in VGC's

I have enough cushion to withstand a 5,000 EQM clawback and still keep Executive Platinum status... this is more of an academic discussion.

We are sitting on about 1.1 million AA miles, so M$ing for more isn't going to happen.

I was only suggesting it to keep the EQM for Ex Pt. I wouldn't actively try to M$ AA miles other than easy sign-up bonuses or multipliers.

Buy $4K in VGC's

I was only suggesting it to keep the EQM for Ex Pt. I wouldn't actively try to MS AA miles other than easy sign-up bonuses or multipliers.

Makes sense.

I learned some things from this exercise... for one, it's hard to know until late in the year if the EQMs from spending are even worth pursuing.

In retrospect, I'd rather have wasted a Saturday flying an extra, inexpensive R/T to DFW or SEA to get to Executive Platinum, rather than wasting five months R$ing $40,000 on this card... but it was impossible to know in January that this would be the choice.

I could survive a 5,000 EQM clawback thanks to some recent unplanned travel, but if I lost all 10,000 I'd lose EP status.

I only have one more revenue ticket planned for 2016 (one-way, SAN-DFW-YYZ, on 12/28), and I don't see that changing.

Point of interest: Barclaycard doesn't charge any additional AF when you upgrade from the Red to the Silver in the middle of a membership year. I paid the $89 AF in April of 2016, nothing additional for the Silver benefits since then, and if I downgrade back to Red, the chances of getting the AF waived next year are about 100% based on what I've read.

By sheer coincidence, TD just called and told me that he may to have to cancel a $4,000+ order for some equipment he ordered for work (and paid for with the Aviator in October), because the vendor won't have what he needs in the timeline they promised.

We stopped using the card immediately after we hit $40,000 in spending, so we'll see what happens. I'll post back if he initiates the refund, and I'll document the outcome and chronology of events in this thread.

I'm glad I have a cushion in case I lose the second batch of EQMs I earned from spending.

Chronology:

12/01/16: Posting date of ~$4,000 credit due to canceled order. Aviator account shows -4,000 redeemable miles earned this statement cycle

12/07/16: EQM balance on AA.com remains unchanged.

Has the statement closed/cut yet?

No, it closes on the 21st. That's obviously the next milestone, and we'll see what happens from there.

Chronology:

12/01/16: Posting date of ~$4,000 credit due to canceled order. Aviator account shows -4,000 redeemable miles earned this statement cycle

Chronology:

12/21/16: Statement closed and showed -4,000 AA miles earned for the statement cycle. I expect these to be deducted from my AAdvantage balance in the next few days. The graphic which shows dollars spent and EQMs earned is unchanged.

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-22%20at%203.49.1

Chronology:

Chronology:

12/21/16: Statement closed and showed -4,000 AA miles earned for the statement cycle. I expect these to be deducted from my AAdvantage balance in the next few days. The graphic which shows dollars spent and EQMs earned is unchanged.

To my surprise, the -4,000 redeemable miles are not yet reflected on my AAdvantage account...

Chronology:

Chronology:

To my surprise, the -4,000 redeemable miles are not yet reflected on my AAdvantage account...

Maybe Barclay's is waiting a month or two, hoping you'll spend on the card, and then they won't have to subtract the add miles to your account? Based on your spend last year, the algorithm probably predicts you'll spend any minute now!

But seriously, they probably have some advantage not to make a negative transaction immediately.

Chronology:

Chronology:

Maybe Barclay's is waiting a month or two, hoping you'll spend on the card, and then they won't have to subtract the add miles to your account? Based on your spend last year, the algorithm probably predicts you'll spend any minute now!

But seriously, they probably have some advantage not to make a negative transaction immediately.

You might be right. We did start spending with the card again... about $1,500 in the past week, with another $500 pending. This year I need EQDs and EQMs from spending, thanks to the continued devaluation of the AAdvantage program.

It's worth it, though...

Since attaining Executive Platinum status, I've been upgraded on all but one flight, which was today from Phoenix to San Diego.

I was originally on a later flight, but changed at the last minute to get out early. I sat in a middle seat in the first row of coach, and was lucky to get that. There wasn't an empty seat on the plane.

Edited by cv91915

Conclusions:

• A ~$4,000 return which took our total 2016 spending from just over $40,000 to just over $36,000 did not result in losing the EQMs that I received after initially hitting the $40,000 threshold.
  • Neither the Dec 2016 statement (-$4,000 balance) nor the January statement (-$1,400 balance) resulted in miles being deducted from my AAdvantage account.
  • All spending since 1/1/17 is counting toward the 2017 EQM benefit, even though we started the year with a "deficit." After spending against the entire credit balance, recently the account has gone positive by a couple thousand dollars, and yet:

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-04%20at%208.12.0

I wouldn't have made it to Executive Platinum this year without the bonus EQMs from my 2016 Aviator Silver spending. Here are some of the benefits of EP status that I have enjoyed so far:

One of the four SWUs that I requested for our trip to Paris in May just went through. This is worth ~$1,783 (https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=542359&p=5616913).

I've also gotten complimentary upgrades to First on ~2/3 of the flights I've taken so far this year, and I've used the free same-day flight change benefit twice (saving $75 each time).

On the most recent same-day flight change I was the last one to request a seat (I walked up to the gate as boarding was nearly complete), and I ended up displacing a standby passenger on a nearly-full flight the morning after we all got stuck in Chicago due to weather. :angel:

This is why some years I put a chunk of our household spending on this card, even though on the surface getting 6% back on groceries might appear to be more rewarding.

Edited by cv91915

I wouldn't have made it to Executive Platinum this year without the bonus EQMs from my 2016 Aviator Silver spending. Here are some of the benefits of EP status that I have enjoyed so far:

One of the four SWUs that I requested for our trip to Paris in May just went through. This is worth ~$1,783 (https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=542359&p=5616913).

I've also gotten complimentary upgrades to First on ~2/3 of the flights I've taken so far this year, and I've used the free same-day flight change benefit twice (saving $75 each time).

On the most recent same-day flight change I was the last one to request a seat (I walked up to the gate as boarding was nearly complete), and I ended up displacing a standby passenger on a nearly-full flight the morning after we all got stuck in Chicago due to weather. :angel:

This is why some years I put a chunk of our household spending on this card, even though on the surface getting 6% back on groceries might appear to be more rewarding.

This is an excellent summary of the somewhat-intangible benefits that a "travel card" can bring (i.e., what top-tier elite status really gets you), that a "cash back card" cannot. However, the most benefit is for people who travel the most. I totally agree that getting the last seat out after a storm is much more important than 6% on groceries. It's the "priceless" part of those Mastercard commercials.

This is an excellent summary of the somewhat-intangible benefits that a "travel card" can bring (i.e., what top-tier elite status really gets you), that a "cash back card" cannot. However, the most benefit is for people who travel the most. I totally agree that getting the last seat out after a storm is much more important than 6% on groceries. It's the "priceless" part of those Mastercard commercials.

Glad you found the comments useful. This is definitely a niche spending strategy, but it's perfect for us right now.

There is no way I will retain EP status in 2018, however this year AA has added another tier between Platinum and Executive Platinum (called Platinum Pro), and with the travel I have planned and one batch of EQMs and EQDs from $25,000 in Aviator Silver spending I should just make it to PP status.

We'll see how much value I get from that next year, and we'll also see if it's worth it to stay the course with where we put our first $25,000 of spending in calendar year 2018.

I crossed the $20,000 spending threshold for 2017 in mid March.

Based on my experience last year, I would have expected to see the EQMs show up on my AAdvantage account a few days ago, with a retroactive posting date of 3/31.

I'm still waiting.

I've also passed the $25,000 threshold for 3,000 EQDs, although I haven't taken the time to pinpoint when that happened. The EQDs haven't shown up on my AAdvantage account either.

I hope they didn't subtract last year's $4k returned charges from this year's spending.

And certainly you don't want to call and ask that directly. But maybe they're just slow in mileage fulfillment? Busy with finally getting new apps and sending miles for those in-flight Aviator Reds?

My unsolicited thought is to wait 1 more month (it is early in the year), and then call and ask why they haven't sent your EQM and EQD yet? Or here's another thought, maybe the new EQD process is still being worked out by IT, and they haven't Transferred any body's yet? I wish we had more data points for you, but this is not a very common card at CB, I don't think.