Sign in to follow this  
pwd847

best no AF gas and dining card?

I feel like a newb asking this, but nothing is coming to mind. My sister just asked me to find a good gas and dining card with no AF. No matter how much explaining I do she will not budge on the AF. How unfortunate.

Citi Thank You Preferred looks good, but I don't think that card can transfer points to travel partners. I was thinking that maybe she could get the TY Premier with the AF waived for the first year and then downgrade at the 1 year mark.

Anything come to mind. It seems with the no AF requirement there isn't a whole lot.

BOA Cash is:

1% cash back on every purchase

2% at grocery stores and now at wholesale clubs

3% on gas

Penfed has a 5% card for gas (must have qualifying product or you get 3% instead)

Marvel synch card for 3% dining (and it looks pretty schweeeet)

Amex BCE gives 3% on gas

Looks like Chase AARP card is 3% in both categories.

AARP is the simple answer (1 card).

Or UMB Simply Rewards (3% on groceries, gas, dining)

The complicated answer is to also use the quarterly 5% cards:

- 5% on gas in two quarters

- 5% on dining in three quarters

- Chase Freedom: Q1 gas, Q3 dining

- Discover it: Q1 gas, Q2 dining

- Nusenda Cash Rewards: Q1+Q3 gas, Q2+Q4 dining

We are only looking for one single card. Well.....she is only looking for one single card. I'm trying to explain the amazing things that can happen with having twelve cards but she is not interested. Sam's club seems like the best so far. What happens if you are approved and then let your membership run out?

We are only looking for one single card. Well.....she is only looking for one single card. I'm trying to explain the amazing things that can happen with having twelve cards but she is not interested. Sam's club seems like the best so far. What happens if you are approved and then let your membership run out?

Keep in mind Sam's pays rewards annually. They send you a check and it has an expiration, and you have to use it at Sam's. Edited by nateinva

Looks like Chase AARP card is 3% in both categories.

AARP is the simple answer (1 card).

Or UMB Simply Rewards (3% on groceries, gas, dining)

The complicated answer is to also use the quarterly 5% cards:

- 5% on gas in two quarters

- 5% on dining in three quarters

- Chase Freedom: Q1 gas, Q3 dining

- Discover it: Q1 gas, Q2 dining

- Nusenda Cash Rewards: Q1+Q3 gas, Q2+Q4 dining

Does Is nusenda give good credit lines?

Nusenda is very good in coffee, especially if you are diabetic.

Nusenda sucks.

I actually prefer Torani® sugar-free syrups and almond milk, but it's nice to have non-sugar options to suit every taste.

Edited by cv91915

Keep in mind Sam's pays rewards annually. They send you a check and it has an expiration, and you have to use it at Sam's.

^^^ This.

Does Is nusenda give good credit lines?

No. I have a $5000 line, and $20k-$36k on most other cards.

But $5000 is totally sufficient for a $1500/quarter spend cap on the 5% categories.

Edited by tweak

Nusenda is very good in coffee, especially if you are diabetic.

Nusenda sucks.

I actually prefer Torani® sugar-free syrups and almond milk, but it's nice to have non-sugar options to suit every taste.

Almond milk and turbinado sugar is where it's at.

Sorry totally glanced over this since the last time I read through this

AARP might be the best all-around for this situation

AARP or UMB - 3% on either.

AARP or UMB - 3% on either.

I have zero experience with either but there are enough on here to assist with that.

Chase AARP minimum redemption is $25. The Marvel Card is 3% statement credit on all dining and entertainment purchases each month. AARP does have a $100 bonus available after spending $500. Sometimes the bonus goes to $200.

Chase AARP minimum redemption is $25. The Marvel Card is 3% statement credit on all dining and entertainment purchases each month. AARP does have a $100 bonus available after spending $500. Sometimes the bonus goes to $200.

Marvel is only 1% on gas ("other"), correct?

pwd, do you know what her monthly expected spend is on the two categories?

I feel like a newb asking this, but nothing is coming to mind. My sister just asked me to find a good gas and dining card with no AF. No matter how much explaining I do she will not budge on the AF. How unfortunate.

Citi Thank You Preferred looks good, but I don't think that card can transfer points to travel partners. I was thinking that maybe she could get the TY Premier with the AF waived for the first year and then downgrade at the 1 year mark.

Anything come to mind. It seems with the no AF requirement there isn't a whole lot.

restaurant-gas.png