Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

The Master "Resolving Unauthorized Use of Discovery Cards" Thread

Over the years I have read multiple accounts of Discovery cardholders who have had difficulty resolving incidents of fraudulent usage of their cards.

In my own experience with American Express and Bank of America, when I've noticed unauthorized activity, a five-minute phone call resulted in the reversal of the unauthorized charges and a replacement card delivered quickly.

This thread is to collect anecdotes about resolving unauthorized spending on a Discovery card, regardless of whether it was resolved easily and in the consumer's favor or not.

I'll quote posts from other CB threads here, and encourage you to tell your own relevant stories or post others you find on this board.

Please help me!

On my Discover statement closing in July there are two charges for $24.48 each. The merchant listed is Worldpay Gelsenkirchendeu.

I immediately called Discover to dispute these charges. The representative I talked to said that it appeared to be Skype charges, but that they would investigate.

I have NEVER used Skype.

Today I got correspondence from Discover saying that these charges are valid based on the merchant's documentation. The letter continued to say if I wanted Discover to continue looking into this, I needed to send them any new documentation of them to consider.

I don't have any documentation because I did not make/authorize these charges. How do I prove this?

Thanks

Thread: https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=547459

From the same thread (CB user ruscorp)

Definitely a Discovery issue. Way back before Discovery blacklisted me. I had the same issue with what appeared to be my mag-strip being cloned.

​I told them I didn't recognize a charge. So they just went back to the merchant and obtained a receipt copy.

I reopened and then said it was fraud. They said it had to be me because the card "was present" for the transaction and closed the case.

I reopened again and after some kicking and screaming got my $40 back. Process took about 60 days.

They certainly slant toward the merchant. Never had this issue with any other card.

Post from CB user

Imma make it rain trick

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=547268&p=5514727

I see this was revived... Hopefully you sent US Bank a nice document explaining it all. I've become accustom to just typing out exactly what happened and sending it in. The big boys (banks, companies) like to play footsies and then the customer can sometimes be the odd man out on disputes. I had Discover do this to me on charges there were out right fraud. They came back and verified even though I had already sent them a lengthy document explaining why it was fraud and things I did not do. Also, when they decide against you, often the merchant just provides the transaction and that they did business with what appeared to be you... Ive seen some of this merchant verification... It's literally just a line item junk file just showing a purchase. I kind of equate it to when you dispute information on your report with one of the big 3 and they verify the information even though you already know it isn't and you wonder how in the world it would be verified.

I demanded they reopen it and sent the same document in again.

2 weeks later closed and all fraud reversed.

In the process of dealing with this. So far discover has been on the ball with this.

Had a text message alert from them on Thursday notifying of unusual transactions. Within ten minutes the card was shutdown and the CSR had a new card fedexed over which I received on Friday.

There were two pending fraudulent charges on the old card and they are both gone now.

In the process of dealing with this. So far discover has been on the ball with this.

Had a text message alert from them on Thursday notifying of unusual transactions. Within ten minutes the card was shutdown and the CSR had a new card fedexed over which I received on Friday.

There were two pending fraudulent charges on the old card and they are both gone now.

This has been my experience with them as well.

Over the years I have read multiple accounts of Discovery cardholders who have had difficulty resolving incidents of fraudulent usage of their cards.

In my own experience with American Express and Bank of America, when I've noticed unauthorized activity, a five-minute phone call resulted in the reversal of the unauthorized charges and a replacement card delivered quickly.

This thread is to collect anecdotes about resolving unauthorized spending on a Discovery card, regardless of whether it was resolved easily and in the consumer's favor or not.

I'll quote posts from other CB threads here, and encourage you to tell your own relevant stories or post others you find on this board.

Amex definitely has the most consumer based attitude when it comes to challenging charges. I know many small business don't use Amex mainly because of their chargeback policy, not just the processing fees.

Because so many people mistakenly called it that.

True story, Kat. :P

I was :rolleyes: at the thread, in general. I know it's slow around here, but jeez.

Carry on.

Because so many people mistakenly called it that.

True story, Kat. :P

I was :rolleyes: at the thread, in general. I know it's slow around here, but jeez.

Carry on.

5 star thread!!!!! :good:

Amex definitely has the most consumer based attitude when it comes to challenging charges. I know many small business don't use Amex mainly because of their chargeback policy, not just the processing fees.

Small business owner here. I've been hit with a couple Amex chargebacks all of them from shady customers. Even with pages of proof I shipped product and customer received product, I have only "won" a single chargeback. It's probably cost me several thousand dollars in the last 12 months. Not much you can do about it on the business end, which is unfortunate.

Small business owner here. I've been hit with a couple Amex chargebacks all of them from shady customers. Even with pages of proof I shipped product and customer received product, I have only "won" a single chargeback. It's probably cost me several thousand dollars in the last 12 months. Not much you can do about it on the business end, which is unfortunate.

Wow... American Excrement really does suck!

Chase always seems to detect fraudulent usage and decline the charges but very seldom declines my charges. It seems like a fairly sophisticated fraud detection system.

In contrast, BofA froze my card for attempting to buy coffee at a Starbucks in my hometown.