Sign in to follow this  
brazen

Best card for travel etc

Talking at work the other day someone said Discover declines transactions frequently while traveling, even with a travel alert from customer service.

What card would you recommend for travel, that wouldn't have that problem AND has decent rewards for usage?

Go.

What cards have you had problems with while traveling?

Too generic of a question to give specific advice and yes, Discover is horrible for travel, especially outside the US.

For most people, points cards are the best way to go. IMO Chase UR is the best of the transferable points programs and you would need a CSP or Ink Plus to be able to transfer points to airline and hotel loyalty programs. The Freedom cards also earn UR points, but can not transfer without the CSP or IP. The CSP is a great travel card.

Where do you want to travel? What is your home airport? First or Business or are you fine with Economy?

Edited by mendelssohn

If you are not tied to any single rewards program, the Orbitz card can work especially if you travel to smaller towns where there are mostly mid-range chain hotels. It is not my first card I use for travel, but there have been times it worked out well.

CSP, as mendelssohn points out, is a good travel card.

For airfare, when I'm not using a co-branded card, the Penfed Amex is my default card. For hotels when not using a cobranded card, CSP is my default card. For car rentals I usually use Amex Platinum.

If you just want a generic travel card with no annual fee, it is easy to get 1.5% for travel with BOA and Crap1.

Tell us more about your parameters but be warned... if you ask 5 of us about travel cards you'll get at least 8 opinions.

Domestic travel this year. We aren't flying. However there will be hotel stays, restaurants, shopping, boat rental etc.

The Citi TY Premier is the best points earner for travel. Chase has the best points program. I would start your search with Citi and Chase.

Depending on your plans the Barclays Arrival + or Cap One Venture may work well for you ... they work as 2% cash back cards redeemable for travel expenses ... and both come with $400.00 sign up bonuses. so if you can meet the spend bonuses you can get quick and easy partial redemption on hotel and a good variety of transportation expenses. Be sure to read their terms because they may not be redeemable in a category you are interested in or may require the redemption to be for some minimum amount.

Depending on your plans the Barclays Arrival + or Cap One Venture may work well for you ... they work as 2% cash back cards redeemable for travel expenses ... and both come with $400.00 sign up bonuses. so if you can meet the spend bonuses you can get quick and easy partial redemption on hotel and a good variety of transportation expenses. Be sure to read their terms because they may not be redeemable in a category you are interested in or may require the redemption to be for some minimum amount.

For M$ or a bonus, yes. For a regular travel card, there's no reason to pay an AF for a limited redemption 2% cash back card.

Domestic travel this year. We aren't flying. However there will be hotel stays, restaurants, shopping, boat rental etc.

Domestically, the Citi Premier has been catching my eye.

PenFed is always on me for fuel domestically and for trips to CA.

CHASE IHG card has treated us well with upgrades at Intercontinental and Crowne Plazas (Holiday Inn is preferred work travel stay). But I value UR more as of late.

The sign up bonuses make the first year a pretty good deal.

(note: I don't have either of these cards)

but you could look at the card every year, the month before the fee hits, and evaluate any retention bonus they may offer and PC the cards to the no fee version if its not worth keeping. I agree that once the effect of the sign up bonus is removed they become lackluster.

For M$ or a bonus, yes. For a regular travel card, there's no reason to pay an AF for a limited redemption 2% cash back card.

Edited by mec

The sign up bonuses make the first year a pretty good deal.

(note: I don't have either of these cards)

but you could look at the card every year, the month before the fee hits, and evaluate any retention bonus they may offer and PC the cards to the no fee version if its not worth keeping. I agree that once the effect of the sign up bonus is removed they become lackluster.

Yes, that is all possible. I just got the impression that the OP was looking for long term, not a card to use for a year.

I still would say CSP because:

1. It's a long term card

2. You can transfer to travel partners

3. You can pay with points (1.25 cents each)

4. The signup bonus is 50K points, worth at least $625 (more than the Venture or Arrival+)

5. UR shopping portal

6. Options for earning 5x points with other cards and pooling points

That's all true.

I guess I don't think of the Sapphire preferred as a pay with points card because the transfer options are usually so much better. but it is probably the best pay with points card on the market. As long as you can book through Chase for what you want.

I wouldn't use my points that way, but it's still an option.

I'm just laying out the case that including for the bonus, it's a hard case to make for the Venture or Arrival+ over the CSP if someone is picking just 1 card.

And of course many people like you and me are not normal and have tons of travel cards with more complex strategies. :D

You all have my head spinning! LOL

I am just a simple rewards person.

We have several NFCU on board. Also US Perks, Discover and a few others. Eyeing Citi sortof.

Brazen,

I find it's easier to think about if you first plan the travel. Where do you want to go and stay and how do you want to get there et cetera.

Then look at the rewards cards you're considering or the ones people are suggesting and figure out how you can redeem them either by transferring points and redeeming them or using the pay with points or miles options that the cards allow.

This won't always give you the best deal but it will give you a sense of the kind of value that you can get relative to other cash back options.

Talking at work the other day someone said Discover declines transactions frequently while traveling, even with a travel alert from customer service.

What card would you recommend for travel, that wouldn't have that problem AND has decent rewards for usage?

Go.

What cards have you had problems with while traveling?

You mean a non-CB member had also had problems with Disco? :D