Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

Amazon Echo-Alexa

thanks ericgunit. can it control a wired house or do I have to carry it from room to room to listen to music? how is the audio quality compared to, say, one of those Bose table top systems? Can it control satellite radio if logged into satellite radio service online? Does it control other computers or tablets (i.e., can I play music stored on my PC or Macbook? Can it control wifi enabled HVAC, fridge, and/or dishwasher? How many strings can I have on my puppet? :wave:

If your HVAC and fridge and dishwasher are all connected to Wifi using a smart home technology, then you may be able to control them.

Which smart home technology are you using?

A lot of this is happening with the help of the IFTTT app. That is how they linked the lighting system. It's a little hard to explain if you're not familiar with this app but you can google it. But basically you build a recipe to link your echo to another system (i.e. Lights). I just checked the app and I don't see any new systems have been included so for now it's just light the Philips Hue light system.

Good point, eric. IFTTT adds functionality. You can also build your own Echo recipes.

Several smart home devices work with Echo out of the box with existing recipes.

Nice. I'll have to do some more digging around the IFTTT app. Thanks!

thanks ericgunit. can it control a wired house or do I have to carry it from room to room to listen to music? how is the audio quality compared to, say, one of those Bose table top systems? Can it control satellite radio if logged into satellite radio service online? Does it control other computers or tablets (i.e., can I play music stored on my PC or Macbook? Can it control wifi enabled HVAC, fridge, and/or dishwasher? How many strings can I have on my puppet? :wave:

If your HVAC and fridge and dishwasher are all connected to Wifi using a smart home technology, then you may be able to control them.

Which smart home technology are you using?

A lot of this is happening with the help of the IFTTT app. That is how they linked the lighting system. It's a little hard to explain if you're not familiar with this app but you can google it. But basically you build a recipe to link your echo to another system (i.e. Lights). I just checked the app and I don't see any new systems have been included so for now it's just light the Philips Hue light system.
Good point, eric. IFTTT adds functionality. You can also build your own Echo recipes.

Several smart home devices work with Echo out of the box with existing recipes.

Nice. I'll have to do some more digging around the IFTTT app. Thanks!

Thanks Eric for the link the information was very informative.