Sign in to follow this  
Konrad2012

Discover is so worthless

Discover is really a worthless company.

I set a travel alert up once I arrived in China. When using the card, I had two charges go through, and two charges declined. All charges were for less than the equivalent of 30USD each.

Later I received a fraud alert via email. I logged into my secure account, and verified the charges. The computer said my account was unlocked.

Went to use the card today at a Starbucks for the equivalent of 8USD and it was declined. Got on Live Chat and the lady from SLC, UT told me my card was locked and I needed to contact the fraud department to handle it.

I called the fraud department and got some guy in Ohio. He looked over my account and said the lock had been cleared two days earlier. Well the card was declined just hours ago, and 20 minutes ago someone in your company was showing the card was locked in her computer.

I've had more problems with this stupid card than all of my other credit cards combined. I've had two charges declined for online shopping that I clicked through Discover Deals to make. Do they think some fraudster is so kind as to log into my account and click through Discover Deals to make a purchase just so I get a couple extra bucks out of their fraud? None of my declines were M$ related. The declines were for a $100 bread machine, and a cheap dryer I was buying someone for their rental property, for two cups of coffee, one time at a Target.

I wish they would spend more effort on making a decent product and computer system, and less time marketing to me how neat they are and that they have all US customer service. Why the hell do I care where the customer service is? Every time I have had to call Disco CSR's, it has been because of a problem. I'd rather their CSR's were in Manila, or Dhaka, or Chennai and NOT have to call them, than to feel better that an American is telling me sorry as opposed to one of the former.

I set a travel alert up once I arrived in China. When using the card, I had two charges go through, and two charges declined. All charges were for less than the equivalent of 30USD each.

Later I received a fraud alert via email. I logged into my secure account, and verified the charges. The computer said my account was unlocked.

Went to use the card today at a Starbucks for the equivalent of 8USD and it was declined. Got on Live Chat and the lady from SLC, UT told me my card was locked and I needed to contact the fraud department to handle it.

I called the fraud department and got some guy in Ohio. He looked over my account and said the lock had been cleared two days earlier. Well the card was declined just hours ago, and 20 minutes ago someone in your company was showing the card was locked in her computer.

I've had more problems with this stupid card than all of my other credit cards combined. I've had two charges declined for online shopping that I clicked through Discover Deals to make. Do they think some fraudster is so kind as to log into my account and click through Discover Deals to make a purchase just so I get a couple extra bucks out of their fraud? None of my declines were M$ related. The declines were for a $100 bread machine, and a cheap dryer I was buying someone for their rental property, for two cups of coffee, one time at a Target.

I wish they would spend more effort on making a decent product and computer system, and less time marketing to me how neat they are and that they have all US customer service. Why the hell do I care where the customer service is? Every time I have had to call Disco CSR's, it has been because of a problem. I'd rather their CSR's were in Manila, or Dhaka, or Chennai and NOT have to call them, than to feel better that an American is telling me sorry as opposed to one of the former.

They don't know that you clicked through Discovery Deals. They don't keep track.

You think Disco card is bad, try Disco banking. They are worse.

Wonder if they need more advanced timing for the request (which is ridiculous if that's the case).

Initial thought was point of sale transactions fit under a different umbrella than your IP address location for online portal shopping but you got denied for both. Discover fail indeed.

*How's M$ going over there? :evilgrin:

Wonder if they need more advanced timing for the request (which is ridiculous if that's the case).

Initial thought was point of sale transactions fit under a different umbrella than your IP address location for online portal shopping but you got denied for both. Discover fail indeed.

The portal shopping issues were previous fails from my home IP.

The current China fails are all card present transactions, with a travel alert set AND already jumping through fraud alert hoops. And all the fails are under $30/each.

*How's M$ going over there? :evilgrin:

The Chase Inks, Chase Freedom Unlimited, SPGs and Citi ATT never stop...

Remind me again what's the advantage of using Disco over other 0% FTF Cards like Visa/MC in Asia?

Remind me again what's the advantage of using Disco over other 0% FTF Cards like Visa/MC in Asia?

Because at least in China the acceptance rate for Visa / MC / AmEx is dismal.

Outside of 3 or 4 "international" hotels, nowhere will accept V/MC/AMEX where I am.

Back to my HSBC RMB card.

Edited by Konrad2012

Outside of 3 or 4 "international" hotels, nowhere will accept V/MC/AMEX where I am.

That's what I do -- just use a local card.

I was really trying to see how the local places would act with a foreign card that had no chip or UnionPay symbol. Discover found an entirely different way to screw up. Asshats. But hey, I got to have that great US customer service give me conflicting account info minutes apart. Edited by Konrad2012

I was really trying to see how the local places would act with a foreign card that had no chip or UnionPay symbol. Discover found an entirely different way to screw up. Asshats. But hey, I got to have that great US customer service give me conflicting account info minutes apart.

Discover used to be great here as far as acceptance was concerned until they started with chip cards. After that it just went to hell in a handbasket. It was fun just telling reluctant merchants to "Just swipe the damned thing!" and seeing the looks on their faces when it worked.

Linguistically great customer service straight from some clown in Utah or a slight language struggle from a poor guy in Mumbai. I'll pass on the clown, thank you.

In general, chip transactions IME have taken longer than the standard swipe.

Does China Have Apple Pay?

I've never had a problem finding Visa or Amex, but then I've only been to large cities like Beijing, Shanghai, and Xi'an

I gave up getting Discovery accepted (non-chip card) in HKG and PEK recently. I am also tired of the rewards system which has a 30% failure rate and when I call the CSRs see the problem but have no power to do something about it. I am only keeping it open to see if I can push them to > 50k later this year. Short of the card being a crowbar at that point, I'll close it and be done with subprimeDiscovery.

I've never had a problem finding Visa or Amex, but then I've only been to large cities like Beijing, Shanghai, and Xi'an

I'll be in Shanghai in October. Not once, when traveling to other countries overseas did I bring a Discover Card. Does anyone suggest I need to bring it to Shanghai?

It's a non-chipped card. Should I ask for a chipped one?

Also, when going out of the country, notify your card issuers for the cards you plan on using, of your travel plans. Card issuers often do freeze accounts when they start seeing foreign charges right out of the blue.

I'll be in Shanghai in October. Not once, when traveling to other countries overseas did I bring a Discover Card. Does anyone suggest I need to bring it to Shanghai?

Also, when going out of the country, notify your card issuers for the cards you plan on using, of your travel plans. Card issuers often do freeze accounts when they start seeing foreign charges right out of the blue.

Apparently you don't need to notify Amex (according to them).

I took my Discover to Japan for fun mostly, but I expected that it would work better there than anywhere outside of North America with the JCB network. In general, JCB and Union Pay do not equal Discover. The card doesn't always work, especially with a chip, and don't expect to have the bonus categories always count.

Amex is cool without notifications. Chase always replies to me saying "thanks but you don't need to tell us." I notified BOA since my card was new but didn't use it. I also let Penfed and UNFCU know but did not use them. CSP and Amex Platinum got whored-out a lot in 2 weeks while out of the country :)

I saw a sign at a restaurant from CGB Bank that everything was in Chinese except for the CGB logo and "Apple Pay". So I am assuming it's here in some form. There's also AliPay and WeChat pay.

I garauntee you the local Dongbei dumpling restaurant didn't accept AMEX or Visa in Xi'an

:rofl:

Apple Pay in China is a turd.

First, you need to create a Chinese iTunes account. Easy enough.

*Second, you need to add credit cards to your Chinese Apple Pay.

Third, every time you want to use Apple Pay, you must be logged in with your Chinese iTunes account.

Fourth, try and find one of the very few merchants that accept Apple Pay.

* Pesky little issue: Virtually impossible to add a non-Chinese card to Chinese Apple Pay.

If you have a non-chipped Disco card then you should be ok.

There is a little printable instruction card on the Disco website written in Chinese. With that, you will have an extremely high rate of success. Where I think Hege went wrong is that they swipe his card on the wrong POS. Merchants that accept international cards have two POS machines -- one is for UnionPay and the other for V/MC/AX. Disco will never work on anything other than the UnionPay terminal. Many merchants will look at your card and immediately think it's an international card and swipe it on the V/MC/AX terminal, where it will promptly fail.

When I had a non-chipped Disco my success rate was 100%.

I saw a sign at a restaurant from CGB Bank that everything was in Chinese except for the CGB logo and "Apple Pay". So I am assuming it's here in some form. There's also AliPay and WeChat pay.

With Alipay and WeChat pay you have to have a Chinese ATM or credit card. And even then, it's extremely hit or miss getting those cards to register on Alipay or WeChat for non-Chinese individuals.

Discover was kind enough to send me a survey to complete based upon my recent experiences.

I'm guessing my responses will not be in any of their advertising materials :lol:

Since Disco advertises that they are accepted in China when 9 times out of 10 they are not, is that something a CFPB complaint can address?