Lots of med collections - new here

The last post in this topic was posted 2283 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello all. I am new around here as I was directed this way from my questions on another site. I've read around and I think I'm understanding what to do here but want to post just to make sure I'm not missing anything. So sum it up as easily as possible. The bad stuff on my report(s) include a late payments, a high balance on the one secured card that I own, a public record for taxes, defaulted student loans and.... the reason for this post... 21 total collection accounts, 17 of which are medical.

All but two of the 17 medical accounts are unpaid. Those two were just paid within the last 15days, one as a PFD agreement and the other not (before I decided to stop and research the best way to rebuild). The remaining 15 are spread across four different CA's. They are all reporting as "in collection" with the loan type listed as either "medical debt" or "collection agency/attorney". The oldest of them is from August 2011 and the latest is November 2015; the bulk are from June 2012 - Jan 2013 (the pregnancy and birth of my daughter). I have good memory of each and all of the instances that led to the debts and am 99% sure that they are all valid and reporting correctly. I've since switched insurance companies(jobs) for most of them and do not remember the insurance I had or still have the EOB from them (how do I go about getting that if needed?)

I am not in a position to pay them all off at once as they total almost $5k and I have some other debt that hasn't hit my report yet that I'm trying to pay on to keep it from doing so but I can begin to chip away at some of it over time. I need to buy a new car around this time next year and I'd like to get my first home by the beginning of 2018 so I have some time to work on things but not really and not a lot of money to do so, at least right now.

Sooooooooooooo with all that said I want to make sure I'm understanding "the guide" correctly and not missing any information as I'm still a little confused as to how/why all this works.

First I opt out

Then I write the CRA to get old addresses removed (why is this step important?) I have not pulled EQ yet but EX and TU both have several old addresses and phone numbers, some correct and some not.

Wait to hear back/credit report to be updated?

Then I write a separate letter, the "initial hipaa dispute letter" to each CRA listing all of the accounts that they have listed on their report for me? I will hand write the top information and/or use special font for the letters

Then I wait for the responses from the CRA and/or CA?

Whom did you pay in a PFD, a CA?? What did you sign as an agreement?? What was the date of medical service for THAT collection??

What was the date of service of the other medical collection you paid to a CA??

Follow the guides:

http://www.whychat.5u.com/GUIDEBOOK.html

The reason to delete old addresses ( if you have moved since the dates of medical services) is that your initial dispute requires that the CRA "matches" via a computer inquiry system inquiry to the reporting CA all your data. If there is a discrepancy between the address the CA has and your report, the account must be deleted.

http://www.whychat.5u.com/GUIDE%20HIPAA%20PROGRAM.html

Send the initial dispute letter to each CRA listing ALL medical accounts ONLY as they appear on THAT report.

http://whychat.5u.com/hipaadisp.html

Come back to THIS POST for additional instructions once you have the results from the initial dispute letter.

DO NOT contact any of the CAs in any way other than through this program. Do NOT try to dispute anything other than medical accounts until you have finished clearing your reports of medical accounts. DO NOT communicate with any CRA in ANY way other than snail mail-- no telephone, internet, fax or carrier pigeon.

Whom did you pay in a PFD, a CA?? What did you sign as an agreement?? What was the date of medical service for THAT collection??

Yes a CA. After I paid the first collection without any prior research or knowledge, I just called them and paid it... I then started reading around. With this debt I went to the OC (it was an urgent care visit) and tried to pay them directly and they wouldn't take it. I then wrote a letter to the CA and they wrote back and then I paid them. Hopefully that worked if not I'll be back complaining about that one in while. The date of service for that collection was late 2015 October or November I can't remember off the top of my head.

The date of service to the first one I paid with no agreement/letter/anything was.... Spring of 2014

Follow the guides:

The reason to delete old addresses ( if you have moved since the dates of medical services) is that your initial dispute requires that the CRA "matches" via a computer inquiry system inquiry to the reporting CA all your data. If there is a discrepancy between the address the CA has and your report, the account must be deleted.

Interesting. I definitely don't live at the same address for some. I do for others. So I should wait to hear back from the CRA about the address deletions before the initial dispute?

Send the initial dispute letter to each CRA listing ALL medical accounts ONLY as they appear on THAT report.

Got it!

Come back to THIS POST for additional instructions once you have the results from the initial dispute letter.

Got it!

DO NOT contact any of the CAs in any way other than through this program. Do NOT try to dispute anything other than medical accounts until you have finished clearing your reports of medical accounts. DO NOT communicate with any CRA in ANY way other than snail mail-- no telephone, internet, fax or carrier pigeon.

Ok so the other 4 collection accounts on my report that AREN'T medical (one unpaid credit charge off, one paid credit card collection, one unpaid cable and one unpaid cell phone both collections) don't touch those either until after this process with the medical accounts?

Yes a CA. After I paid the first collection without any prior research or knowledge, I just called them and paid it... I then started reading around. With this debt I went to the OC (it was an urgent care visit) and tried to pay them directly and they wouldn't take it. I then wrote a letter to the CA and they wrote back and then I paid them. Hopefully that worked if not I'll be back complaining about that one in while. The date of service for that collection was late 2015 October or November I can't remember off the top of my head.

The date of service to the first one I paid with no agreement/letter/anything was.... Spring of 2014 Both of these are likely still on your reports, perhaps reporting as "paid" collections. You need to dispute them along with all the other medical accounts as a "paid" collection is just as bad as an unpaid one except for the 1st one from 2014 because if it is now reporting as "paid" it is also UPDATED to 2016- so it is now WORSE for your scores because while it is still derogatory, it is NEWER

Follow the guides:

Interesting. I definitely don't live at the same address for some. I do for others. So I should wait to hear back from the CRA about the address deletions before the initial dispute? Preferably yes, make sure you have opted out BEFORE deleting old addresses, otherwise your new data will be sold to the data miners and defeat the purpose of address deletions

Got it!

Got it!

Ok so the other 4 collection accounts on my report that AREN'T medical (one unpaid credit charge off, one paid credit card collection, one unpaid cable and one unpaid cell phone both collections) don't touch those either until after this process with the medical accounts? Correct

IF after completing the HIPAA letter program as far as you are able to go, on those RECENT medical collections ( under 2 years) where you have been able to establish a CLEAR CURRENT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP between the reporting CA and the OC and you have EOMBs that MATCH the amounts requested, we have a method of forcing the OC to accept payment and prevent the CA from reporting it as a paid collection.

Great! Got it! I'll get started on this right away with the opt out and address deletion. Thanks so much!!!

Meanwhile I can work on some of my other debts that aren't in collections or on my report as well as catching up my late payments. Feels so good to have a plan.

Great! Got it! I'll get started on this right away with the opt out and address deletion. Thanks so much!!!

Meanwhile I can work on some of my other debts that aren't in collections or on my report as well as catching up my late payments. Feels so good to have a plan.

Hi Dimp... Yes it does :) I have horrible CR's due to a messy divorce in 2011. 9 medical that I have absolutely no idea what they are ( since I haven't lived in that state for over 6 yrs.) several collections that I'm still working on and two judgments (1 is showing 1 is not). It took me a long time to be able to even address 1 collection, I was to scared. However, since I started following this credit board, I have gotten rid of several collections, all my medical accounts deleted from two of the CRA's and still working on the third, a pretty substantial jump in my credit score more knowledge about credit, junk debt buyers, and how to stand up for my rights. Stay strong and be diligent... If you do what this board suggests.. you will be seeing a change as well.. Now that power in itself :)

The last post in this topic was posted 2283 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.