Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
IndyPoolPlayer

Another For-Profit Diploma Mill Bites The Dust?

Recommended Posts


 

Without going into statements which are violations of the ToS, I will just say I am not surprised.

I feel your pain.

 

Hopefully, now that word is out there about these diploma mills, people will make informed decisions about post-secondary education. I like what PBS through one of its highest rated programs (This Old House) is doing and that's encouraging high school graduates to learn the skilled trades instead of going to The Big U.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ITT Technical Institute Execs pay back $300,000 in SEC settlement

 

https://www.ibj.com/articles/69538-former-itt-educational-execs-to-pay-300000-to-settle-sec-lawsuit

 

Note this does NOT include the above mentioned BK Trustee lawsuit against the former CEO and Board. That litigation is still pending.

Edited by IndyPoolPlayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears DoE is now moving to the "buyer beware" position with regards to students, educational institutions, and federal student loans

 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/devos-rules-would-cut-estimated-dollar13b-in-student-loan-relief/ar-BBL33pD?li=BBnbcA1

 

If these diploma mills want to continue operating, they can do it outside of the federal student loan and GI Bill system. As evidenced by Corinthian, ITT, and others - they can't. Though Big Education has their hand in the slop jar too as they continue their yearly tuition and fee hikes which outpace inflation by large margin knowing federal student loans will cover the cost no matter how much Big Education charges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet people STILL insist on trying to enroll in useless programs offered by useless entities...

 

If they don't qualify to get in a real school, then perhaps they should take the hint...after all, most two-year schools take anyone with a pulse and many of the four-year schools will as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Another diploma mill bites the dust - this time it's Harrison College. The college is trying to negotiate a transfer of credits to another for-profit college National American

 

https://www.wibc.com/news/local-news/profit-harrison-college-close#overlay-context=news/local-news/profit-harrison-college-close

Before I met TAD I briefly dated a Chinese guy named Harrison.  

 

I still text him on his birthday every year, because one of his recurring disappointments in life is everyone forgetting his birthday because it's just a few days before Christmas.

 

My entire future may have been different if he had been just a little bit sluttier.

 

 

Edited by cv91915

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheVig said:

Some of you are not old enough to remember these commercial gems.

I vaguely remember those. I mostly remember her being a fat chick trying to raise money for starving Ethiopians.

 

109.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the University of Phoenix finally dies, I'll celebrate. I've had to work with graduates of this "school" and the wholesale lack of knowledge from the graduates I've encountered is shocking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, insolent1 said:

When the University of Phoenix finally dies, I'll celebrate. I've had to work with graduates of this "school" and the wholesale lack of knowledge from the graduates I've encountered is shocking. 

I worked for UoP tech support for just under two years. 90% of the calls were clearing cache and cookies, and explaining you have to buy Microsoft Office. Feels like you are working for the devil at that place. I doubt it will, but one can only hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, scott31337 said:

I worked for UoP tech support for just under two years. 90% of the calls were clearing cache and cookies, and explaining you have to buy Microsoft Office. Feels like you are working for the devil at that place. I doubt it will, but one can only hope.

Article I posted a link to over in Student Loans mentioned UoP was sold in a left-hand-right-hand exchange with another holding company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2018 at 11:47 PM, hegemony said:

Even reading past the obvious editorial bias of the linked article, this statement really sums it up IMO:

Quote

[T]hat’s because the public, including prospective students, are learning the truth.

When you see these diploma mills shutting down on the 5 O'Clock News including students left with student loan debt and useless credits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another local diploma mills abruptly shuts down and its owned by - you guessed it - ECA!

 

https://fox59.com/2018/12/05/brightwood-college-closes-suddenly-leaving-students-shocked/

 

That makes now 8 for-profit schools that have closed since late 2015 (in this local area)

 

Nov. 2015 - DeVry

Sept. 2016 - ITT Tech and MedTech College

Jan 2017 - American National

March 2017 - U of Phoenix

Sept 2017 - Brown Mackie

Sept 2018 - Harrison (formerly known as Indiana Business School)

Dec. 2018 - Brightwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2018 at 8:03 PM, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Another local diploma mills abruptly shuts down and its owned by - you guessed it - ECA!

 

https://fox59.com/2018/12/05/brightwood-college-closes-suddenly-leaving-students-shocked/

 

That makes now 8 for-profit schools that have closed since late 2015 (in this local area)

 

Nov. 2015 - DeVry

Sept. 2016 - ITT Tech and MedTech College

Jan 2017 - American National

March 2017 - U of Phoenix

Sept 2017 - Brown Mackie

Sept 2018 - Harrison (formerly known as Indiana Business School)

Dec. 2018 - Brightwood

the local coverage here: https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/education/las-vegas-nursing-college-closes-shutting-out-students-staff-1543443/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, hegemony said:
Quote

About 670 students attended the Las Vegas campus last year, according to the National Center for Education Statistics, which relies on data reported to the U.S. Department of Education. Tuition was more than $16,000 for the 2017-18 academic year

Doing the math - at least 10 million, 720 thousand dollars in tuition income per year alone - not including profits on books, add on fees like "tech fees" etc. Somebody is making a killing. I highly doubt its the teaching staff - they probably make no more than $50-60K per year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Doing the math - at least 10 million, 720 thousand dollars in tuition income per year alone - not including profits on books, add on fees like "tech fees" etc. Somebody is making a killing. I highly doubt its the teaching staff - they probably make no more than $50-60K per year.

most are per course contracts for <$4,000 a class and no bennies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hegemony said:

most are per course contracts for <$4,000 a class and no bennies.

So very few or no full time "tenured" faculty? Yeah, someone is really hoovering up the student aid dough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today.
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      176,872
    • Most Online
      1,528

    Newest Member
    victorykid1412
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines