So I took the car in for routine service at the blue oval establishment, which is about a mile from my workplace. I usually just walk it from there to the office since there's nice walking paths. Anyway, cutting through the new car inventory to get to the sidewalk an overeager sales rep trying to make his numbers spots me ... ruh roh.

OSR: "Can I interest you in something here on the lot?"

Me: "No, just dropped mine off for service"

OSR: "GREAT! I can go back in the shop and appraise your trade in for you"

Me: "Ummm no I'm not interested in trading"

OSR: "Which vehicle is it ... I'll go take a look"

Me: (trying not to be rude) .. gives the year, model, and color of the car in the shop

OSR: "Do you owe anything on it"

Me: "No. I have no car payments and want to stay that way"

OSR: "There's never a better time than now, interest rates aren't getting any better than zero and up to 72 mon....."

Me: (patience wearing thin) "No, I'm not interested in trading"

OSR: "What are you thinking for a payment? I guarantee I can get you into something here for whatever payment you'd like"

Me: (spots the setup and goes for the kill...) "How about a payment of zero. Will that work for you? Take that to your manager and see if he'll work that"

OSR: "Have a good day..." and walks off, doesn't even offer a business card or anything.

• 2 months later...

Close call - I thought I was seeing the demise of one vehicle where the transmission was failing. I didn't want to spend upwards of $5K on a rebuilt (with labor) but the noise the car was making was unbearable.

Turns out it was a wheel bearing. Which on this car is a whole hub and spindle assembly. $400 parts and labor. I hope these vehicles don't start in with the nickel-and-diming

So I took the car in for routine service at the blue oval establishment, which is about a mile from my workplace. I usually just walk it from there to the office since there's nice walking paths. Anyway, cutting through the new car inventory to get to the sidewalk an overeager sales rep trying to make his numbers spots me ... ruh roh.

Me: (trying not to be rude) .. gives the year, model, and color of the car in the shop

OSR: "There's never a better time than now, interest rates aren't getting any better than zero and up to 72 mon....."

OSR: "What are you thinking for a payment? I guarantee I can get you into something here for whatever payment you'd like"

Me: (spots the setup and goes for the kill...) "How about a payment of zero. Will that work for you? Take that to your manager and see if he'll work that"

OSR: "Have a good day..." and walks off, doesn't even offer a business card or anything.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Close call - I thought I was seeing the demise of one vehicle where the transmission was failing. I didn't want to spend upwards of $5K on a rebuilt (with labor) but the noise the car was making was unbearable.

Turns out it was a wheel bearing. Which on this car is a whole hub and spindle assembly. $400 parts and labor. I hope these vehicles don't start in with the nickel-and-diming

Indy do you have any mechanical experience or are inclined in anyway? If so I'm sure a few good you tube videos and a Sunday or so can have you wrenching away the savings

Indy do you have any mechanical experience or are inclined in anyway? If so I'm sure a few good you tube videos and a Sunday or so can have you wrenching away the savings

Yes I do, I've overhauled engines and such before on older cars (pre-EFI). I don't have the room in my garage (filled to the top with DW's "stuff") and I don't have time to spend hours turning wrenches and guessing at problems.

Yes I do, I've overhauled engines and such before on older cars (pre-EFI). I don't have the room in my garage (filled to the top with DW's "stuff") and I don't have time to spend hours turning wrenches and guessing at problems.

Your a better man than I, my garage is my domicile, I don't think a DW, SO, etc. Coulf pack their things in there, I said it a million times when my former and I were house shopping I don't care you can do what ever you want with the house. The garage is mine.

Your a better man than I, my garage is my domicile, I don't think a DW, SO, etc. Coulf pack their things in there, I said it a million times when my former and I were house shopping I don't care you can do what ever you want with the house. The garage is mine.

Yeah, well combining two households into one - I brought my stuff in from storage, and furnished the house. DW then got all of her stuff from storage and with nowhere to put it, ended up in the garage "for the time being" .... four years later

Yeah, well combining two households into one - I brought my stuff in from storage, and furnished the house. DW then got all of her stuff from storage and with nowhere to put it, ended up in the garage "for the time being" .... four years later

For the time being what that really means, it's gonna sit where it's at till I really meed to find something, I die, or you move it yourself

Congrats! It's a great feeling, and easy to get used to. I had been payment free for the past 12 years until this past summer, when my Subaru with over 235K miles finally died. Repairs exceeded what car was worth, so I found a great certified pre-owned vehicle, and paid cash. I am done making payments on vehicles.

My 2006 Sienna w/186,000 miles was leaking oil last night. Dropped it off at the mechanic. $35 fix.

No issues (knock on wood) with my 2003 Pilot (208,000 miles).

Congrats! It's a great feeling, and easy to get used to. I had been payment free for the past 12 years until this past summer, when my Subaru with over 235K miles finally died. Repairs exceeded what car was worth, so I found a great certified pre-owned vehicle, and paid cash. I am done making payments on vehicles.

Intelligent. I'm sure you are well on your way to wealth, if you aren't already there.

It's nice being payment free though. We've been car loan free for a couple years now. If you put a car payment into a savings account each month, you can pay cash for your next purchase.

It's nice being payment free though. We've been car loan free for a couple years now. If you put a car payment into a savings account each month, you can pay cash for your next purchase.

That is what I want to do, though now we're snowballing the remainder of our revolving debt. I should be close to zero revolving by the time the ball drops in Times Square.

:rofl: I'm going to remember that line.

• 4 years later...

Update on this thread -

June 2016 - PIF'ed my previous vehicle

July 2017 - Transmission starts to give problems. Has a slight shimmy at 50-60 MPH. Decided to live with it.

August 2017 - Vehicle turns over 100K miles.

September 2017 - I was perusing Auto Trader dot com and found a vehicle I wanted and bought it. Loan was 72 months minimum payments, but I paid much more than minimum.

So I was vehicle payment free for about 14 months.

Fast forward to now after a forced job change in 2019 and DW becoming XDW in 2020, Managed to keep my financial affairs in order - and on Friday submitted my final payment for this vehicle loan.

Once again I am free of vehicle loan payments!!

Now that I'm not sharing paychecks with a spouse, I can now do what I wanted to do back then and put what I would pay for vehicle payment into savings for a down payment on the next vehicle purchase. The vehicle is still in good shape with 128K on the clock. Needs some paint work on the front bumper (road salt damage) and removal of door dings but besides that it shows very nicely.

Talk about Memberlicious.....

I called the See You for my payoff amount. While I was on the phone with the rep I was online and did the clickety click click to make the payment. The funds came out of my primary checking account Monday and today it was posted to my loan at the See You. Now the remaining balance is 10 cents.

So I inquired. The answer was this was the interest accrued between the time I clicked send on the payment to when it posted to my loan, and since there was a weekend it took extra time for the ACH to clear.

Fine. So I transferred 10 cents from the savings to the loan. Now watch, it'll come up with a nickel balance for the interest between when I logged into the See You website to when I clicked submit on the transfer of 10 cents.

• 1 month later...

Interesting this ... now that my vehicle loan is paid off, seems according to FICO 8 (standard) I'm 29 points less desirable based upon EX and TU CRA data. Comparing January (car loan open) with 830 (+-5) to February (car loan PIF and closed) with 801 (+-5).

FICO 8 Bankcard Option (via Citi) shows no change between the two months at 830/850.

Revolving <1% (not zero or "two dollar") - about $300 in revolving balances between the two months on both CRs. Between $200 to $400 seems to be what reports. For science I need to get to zero dollars reporting and note the effect.

Inquiries - Same in both months, no new inquiries.

No new lates, no new accounts, just open accounts decreased by one, and closed accounts increased by one. Car loan reporting properly as paid in full no lates.