Sign in to follow this  
MB82x

Kohl's Charge-Off: Removeable?

Hi all!

I'm finding myself in a bit of a credit pickle, as a report pull and a collection letter have revealed a black eye on my credit report - and it's one I'd like to rectify.

A while back (2014), I went into Kohl's with a wad of cash, and the intention of buying some new bedding and stuff for the apartment. At the register, the cashier somehow talked me into getting a Kohl's credit card. Turns out I spent a bit under $300 that day.

Fast forward a month later, and I never received the card. Nor a statement. Nor a phone call, or any communication from Kohl's. Two months later, still nothing. Three months later, again nothing. At some point, probably the day after the purchase, the Kohl's CC crossed my mind, then never entered my thought-process again. Until 2016, when I received a collection bill from Qualia Collection Services for nearly double the amount (nearly $300 in fees)...

I pulled my credit report and sure enough, there's a nearly $600 charge-off from late 2014 from Kohl's on it. Basically, the account sat open for about 8 months without me ever receiving a bill, letter, phone call or physical card from Kohl's before they closed it and charged it off.

QCS has not reported anything to the CRA's, at least yet - and as I understand it, mailing a check to QCS today would not be the wisest course of action from a credit report stand point.

I'd like to try and get this cleared up, and I'm able to pay it off - but would prefer to not pay the outlandish fees if possible. The most important thing to me though is getting my report cleared up. Would appreciate any advice on what would be a good first step, and if anyone has any similar experiences that they were able to rectify.

Thank you!

If they haven't reported it to the CRA's and are still in DV proccess then I believe you're safe to pay it off BEFORE they report it - at least that's what I did with Comcast when they screwed up the final bill and never sent one (instead opting to try to send us to collections over $23)

If they haven't reported it to the CRA's and are still in DV proccess then I believe you're safe to pay it off BEFORE they report it - at least that's what I did with Comcast when they screwed up the final bill and never sent one (instead opting to try to send us to collections over $23)

Well, the CA hasn't reported it - but the OC has. I'd like to get it wrapped up before the CA reports and also get the OC to take it off. Looking for my best bet in order to achieve this.

Well, the CA hasn't reported it - but the OC has. I'd like to get it wrapped up before the CA reports and also get the OC to take it off. Looking for my best bet in order to achieve this.

Call OC.

I defaulted on a Kohls card in late 2009 along with several other cards(Chase,2x BOA). Kohls is the only chargeoff still on my reports. If they are reporting charged off on your report, they are there for good. No CA ever popped up on my reports, just Kohls.