Sign in to follow this  
creditrepair2014

1960 American Express Credit Card

Too bad D* is dead, but I wonder if I track down Charles if he will add me as an authorized user to increase my AAOA! :)

Edited by creditrepair2014

Too bad D* is dead, but I wonder if I track down Charles if he will add me as an authorized user to increase my AAOA! :)

^^

Me too, me too!!

^^

Me too, me too!!

If only there was a way to find out his address :) I can't believe Amex used to include customer address on their credit card!

Actually that card is from the 1950s since it expires April 1960.

Guess they didn't add the "Member Since" year back then.

^^

Me too, me too!!

If only there was a way to find out his address :) I can't believe Amex used to include customer address on their credit card!

back then everyone was listed in the phone book with an address... unless you didn't have a phone... privacy was not an issue...

"I'm in the book" was the most common phrase in the world.

D* isn't the only thing that's dead... I think Charles probably is too.

There was a Charles F. Lewis in Knoxville whose son, Frederick, died in 2009 at the age of 87. Charles was not listed as one of his survivors.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/frederick-lewis-obituary?pid=1000000178944892

Edited by ClaimJumper

D* isn't the only thing that's dead... I think Charles probably is too.

There was a Charles F. Lewis in Knoxville whose son, Frederick, died in 2009 at the age of 87. Charles was not listed as one of his survivors.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/frederick-lewis-obituary?pid=1000000178944892

Awesome detective work!

I wonder if his descendants would be interested in obtaining the credit card.

"Son: William F. Lewis of Atlanta, GA

Sister: Margaret L. Stepherson of Memphis

Seven grandchildren

Seven great-grandchildren"

Unfortunately, probably Charles is also dead.

I lived in Knoxville for 25 years until moving to CA in 2009. Fox Lonas Rd still exists!!

I know a man he is 88, been with Amex he says since they had a card. I know he also still even has a great deal of Traveler's Cheques - claims he uses them on occasion.

He has a bunch of old expired cards of various types (Amex thru visa/MC and tons of dept. stores) and I did see an original Sears Discover. He is a pack rat and won't part with any.... It sure is cool to see some of those old cards.

I have come across buyers and sellers of old charge card plates, it was surprising to find them a commodity.

HL

I know a man he is 88, been with Amex he says since they had a card. I know he also still even has a great deal of Traveler's Cheques - claims he uses them on occasion.

He has a bunch of old expired cards of various types (Amex thru visa/MC and tons of dept. stores) and I did see an original Sears Discover. He is a pack rat and won't part with any.... It sure is cool to see some of those old cards.

I have come across buyers and sellers of old charge card plates, it was surprising to find them a commodity.

HL

I remember my mom had a CHOICE Card and something called a "Washington Shopping Plate", which was a light blue card that you could use at several different department store chains (Hecht's, W&L, Garfinckel's, etc.) in the DC area back in the day. She used that puppy a lot. It was very convenient.

Here's a page about the Washington Shopping Plate: http://www.humealumni.org/changes.html

The pics they show are generic images. The card was embossed with the cardholder's name and account # just like other CCs, like this:

dc+washington+shopping+plate.jpg

Sadly, none of the stores listed exist anymore.

Edited by TampaDude

I had a Garfinkles charge. Man, I am getting OLD.

I feel the same way! So many stores that used to be.... Then when you are staring at 40..... SO depressing...

HL

I had a Garfinkles charge. Man, I am getting OLD.

I feel the same way! So many stores that used to be.... Then when you are staring at 40..... SO depressing...

HL

40? You young whippersnapper, you. :grin:

From the other article posted here in this board, AmEx started issuing cards in 1958, expiring in 1960... so apparently this is one of the first cards ever issued by AmEx. Pretty cool

Ah.... Hecht's....they just came up in convo with DW the other day. Bought out by Macy's. And for the home improvement crowd, one of the original DIY big box stores, Hechinger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah.... Hecht's....they just came up in convo with DW the other day. Bought out by Macy's. And for the home improvement crowd, one of the original DIY big box stores, Hechinger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember Hechinger. They had a store just down the road from us back in VA. My dad used to shop there all the time.