Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Effect on scores for closing small CL's opened after BK?

The last post in this topic was posted 5873 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I'm wondering what the score effect will be if I close the small limit card accounts I opened after my BK. The age ranges are all between 2 and 6 years, the bal's are all zero and the pay histories are flawless. Closing them will improve my average account age considerably. I'm going to close one as a test to see the effect, but if anyone has been down that road before and can give me some indication - I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I dont think you should close any of them. They all help your utilization and age. I believe the age will be helped more with open credit card accounts.

if they have annual fees or monthly membership fees then it may make sense to close them. I have closed a couple of my post BK toy cards. Sure your scores may dip, but they will rebound in short order.

Be sure that before you close ANY of them that you have other positive TLs, namely higher limit lower fee cards, open.

if they have annual fees or monthly membership fees then it may make sense to close them. I have closed a couple of my post BK toy cards. Sure your scores may dip, but they will rebound in short order.

Be sure that before you close ANY of them that you have other positive TLs, namely higher limit lower fee cards, open.

The OP was alluding to gaining points by closing, fee's are a reason to close but FICO is not.

You gain nothing by closing them I'm not sure why you feel this is an advantage? Please advise?

I gain older average age of my accounts. Also, I presently have 11 open credit card accounts, and the 7 small limit cards only account for 10% of my available credit. I'm thinking 4 open cards looks a LOT better than 11. And the cards I plan to close are 1st Premier, Orchard etc. -- all high rates and low limits with nowhere to go.

Thanks.

You gain nothing by closing them I'm not sure why you feel this is an advantage? Please advise?

I gain older average age of my accounts. Also, I presently have 11 open credit card accounts, and the 7 small limit cards only account for 10% of my available credit. I'm thinking 4 open cards looks a LOT better than 11. And the cards I plan to close are 1st Premier, Orchard etc. -- all high rates and low limits with nowhere to go.

Thanks.

the accounts you have that are old are closed due to the BK correct? closing open accounts will not help you.

I can't agree that 4 cards looks better than 11. My guess is each card closing will cost say, who knows let's make up a number, 8 points. If you are going to do it I suggest you space your card closings 7 months apart or so.

Thanks.

the accounts you have that are old are closed due to the BK correct? closing open accounts will not help you.

No - my oldest, best accounts are 2 high limit cards (25K) over 15 years old, and the third is 4 years old with a 5K limit. The fourth one was opened this year (10K limit). Those four account for 90% of my available credit and calculate to an average age of 8.5 years. Add in the "toy" cards and the average age goes down to 5 years.

Thanks.

No - my oldest, best accounts are 2 high limit cards (25K) over 15 years old, and the third is 4 years old with a 5K limit. The fourth one was opened this year (10K limit). Those four account for 90% of my available credit and calculate to an average age of 8.5 years. Add in the "toy" cards and the average age goes down to 5 years.

Thanks.

WOW!

how did you get to keep those account through the BK process??????

"No - my oldest, best accounts are 2 high limit cards (25K) over 15 years old, and the third is 4 years old with a 5K limit. The fourth one was opened this year (10K limit). Those four account for 90% of my available credit and calculate to an average age of 8.5 years. Add in the "toy" cards and the average age goes down to 5 years."

If you both closed the newer cards and got them deleted of your report your score might go up. Just closing them and leaving them on your report won't impact your average age of accounts until they fall off of your credit reports in 10 year.

If you both closed the newer cards and got them deleted of your report your score might go up. Just closing them and leaving them on your report wont impact your average age of accounts until they fall off of your credit reports in 10 year.

Good point Alex, and very true

P.S. where you been man?

Just asking, would it do any good to keep it open, dispute it off, let it age, CLI over time, then get it re-reported after its aged w/CLI or no?

The last post in this topic was posted 5873 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.