NFCU is open to everybody!?!

Does anyone have the link to NLSD membership page. I typed "San Diego" into the box where it asked "Which local council would you like to join?" except my welcome email says nothing about San Diego. Will this be an issue?

Yes

Thanks CV. That's what I was afraid of. Are there two separate emails that are sent? Because the only email that I've received thus far acknowledges membership and receipt. I'm assuming I'll receive another one from the San Diego Council that includes my membership number. No? TIA

You won't get an email from Navy League San Diego .. Only the 2nd email you will receive from NLUS will or should indicate that your local council is San Diego with Membership# .. if they ended up not assigning you the San Diego Chapter in their 2nd email, try emailing the President of the NLSD and he will make it happen. His Name is Jon Berg-Johnsen and his email is: presidentsdnl@gmail.com
Thanks Mido. I appreciate your response and help. I'm looking forward to getting in.

You're Welcome .. Just wait for the 2nd email and read it carefully and if your NOT assigned SD then shoot him an email. Good Luck :wave:

Mido, one last thing. Do you recall how long it took you to receive the 2nd email? Just curious. Trying to set my expectations. Thanks!

• I applied with NLUS over the phone in the beginning of December and they charged my card immediately and I received their Welcome Email (1st one) while i was on the phone with them :)
  • I received their (2nd Email) that has my membership number and SD as assigned Council within a week of the 1st email.

Thanks for the info, bud! I really appreciate it.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much insight in this thread.    

It would have been better if it had not been posted anywhere.

- rep's for all you rejects.

Posted Images

I'm going to apply for a CLI on the cash rewards card in the morning once they apply my $1,700 payment.

My initial limit was $2,300.

Not sure if I should ask for 25k, 35k or 50k.

My other highest limits are 9k Lowe's, 7.9k Wells Fargo home projects card and 5.5k BofA card.

Ended up requesting 25k and got the 24 hour notice. Navy called 2 hours later while I was on the other line... I called them back and they said they wanted to check that my income was 54k / month. I guess I didn't read the instructions on the fields. Told them that it was 4.5k / month they updated underwriting and the came back on the phone to tell me they would make a decision within 24 hours. About an hour later the online interface is showing available credit as 24k.

Congrats .. did they really ask you for 54K/month ????? or this's typing error and you meant to say 5K /month??

Anyway 24K is pretty good jump from $2,300

I accidentally typed annual income in the box they were asking for monthly income in. I guess that didn't sound right to the underwriter based on what they know about me.

Feels good to get a higher limit. It's 4.36 X my highest Bank "credit card" limit

I'm very happy for you, mec. You're making nice progress!

I'm going to apply for a CLI on the cash rewards card in the morning once they apply my $1,700 payment.

My initial limit was $2,300.

Not sure if I should ask for 25k, 35k or 50k.

My other highest limits are 9k Lowe's, 7.9k Wells Fargo home projects card and 5.5k BofA card.

Ended up requesting 25k and got the 24 hour notice. Navy called 2 hours later while I was on the other line... I called them back and they said they wanted to check that my income was 54k / month. I guess I didn't read the instructions on the fields. Told them that it was 4.5k / month they updated underwriting and the came back on the phone to tell me they would make a decision within 24 hours. About an hour later the online interface is showing available credit as 24k.

Congrats .. did they really ask you for 54K/month ????? or this's typing error and you meant to say 5K /month??

Anyway 24K is pretty good jump from $2,300

I accidentally typed annual income in the box they were asking for monthly income in. I guess that didn't sound right to the underwriter based on what they know about me.

Feels good to get a higher limit. It's 4.36 X my highest Bank "credit card" limit

I'm very happy for you, mec. You're making nice progress!

Great job Mec!!!

It took me a while to be convinced about NFCU, but they have now extended me more than 50℅ of my total available credit. Mendelssohn's thread about rebuilding with NFCU and this thread eventually sunk in.

I have to say I would feel a little skittish about using them as my primary banking institution based on some of the shutdowns I have read about on this forum. But they have been really a great help trying to increase overall credit. And their website, app, and customer service have been fairly easy to deal with.

I feel like they will be giving me good options in a lot of different ways for years to come.

You can access it through the debt card or via ACH as well as through checks. The checks they send related to the CLOC have a trailing number that will cause them to bypass any funds in your checking account and draw exclusively from the CLOC.

Did you have to order these checks or did they just send them to you? I haven't received any checks yet and when I called they said I could order some for my everday checking that would work for cloc only if there were no funds in it.

They sent one book just for the CLOC. If I remember correctly it may have taken up to 2 weeks for them to arrive. I later ordered a set of checks for the checking account. Not sure why I did... probably just to collect some checks and it seemed like I may someday want to have them, but I may never use one.

I think they were just shy of 20 bucks for about 200 check, a couple of registers and a plastic book cover.

Edited by mec

They sent one book just for the CLOC. If I remember correctly it may have taken up to 2 weeks for them to arrive. I later ordered a set of checks for the checking account. Not sure why I did... probably just to collect some checks and it seemed like I may someday want to have them, but I may never use one.

I think they were just shy of 20 bucks for about 200 check, a couple of registers and a plastic book cover.

Are the checks they sent you coded any different than the ones you ordered in terms of drawing directly from cloc instead of cash in checking? Thanks

For anyone interested, my friend (who is now following the steps posted here) called Navy League today inquiring about his membership letter. They told him they are about 3-4 weeks behind due to high volume.

Side note: I only sent my receipt (email copy) to NFCU - I didn't wait for the actual membership letter - and everything has worked out ok so far. The receipt DID have San Diego mentioned.

Edited by Savannah1

I also emailed the receipt from Navy League, which showed my preference of San Diego chapter on it (near the bottom receipt area just above the CC#), instead of waiting for 2nd welcome letter which turns out did not show the San Diego chapter on it. They had no problem with the receipt and accepted everything sent,

I received a acceptance email from NFCU 3 days later saying I should receive my welcome packet in the mail in 7-10 days... but then had a credit pull by them on TU 2 days later. Kinda backwards. Approval then pull. I just wish they would have given the member number in the acceptance email so I could access the online account right away, instead of waiting for snail mail.

I also emailed the receipt from Navy League, which showed my preference of San Diego chapter on it (near the bottom receipt area just above the CC#), instead of waiting for 2nd welcome letter which turns out did not show the San Diego chapter on it. They had no problem with the receipt and accepted everything sent,

I received a acceptance email from NFCU 3 days later saying I should receive my welcome packet in the mail in 7-10 days... but then had a credit pull by them on TU 2 days later. Kinda backwards. Approval then pull. I just wish they would have given the member number in the acceptance email so I could access the online account right away, instead of waiting for snail mail.

With NFCU you can call in and get your account/login info.

With NFCU you can call in and get your account/login info.

Thanks for the info. appreciate it. I will give them a call tomorrow.

I called to check on my membership application a few days after applying. The very nice guy who helped me had my application pushed through and gave me all my login info while I was on the phone.

So (to anyone) I suggest calling - they're very helpful.

Timeline to NFCU Membership:

Joined Navy League on Wednesday evening 1/4/17 and received an email acknowledging my receipt and donation at 9:46pm. Read it and thought it was weird that it didn’t say San Diego Council even after I wrote “San Diego” in the box that asked “Which Local Council would you like to join?” DO NOT COMPLETE THE NLSD MEMBERSHIP USING THIS LINK!!! https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/jointoday If you do, you will be disappointed that the San Diego Council will not appear on your welcome email.

The next day morning at 9:02am I sent in the following docs:

1. Completed NFCU membership application
  2. Scanned copy of the email acknowledging my membership into the Navy League (even though San Diego Council was nowhere to be found on the email)
  3. Copy of Driver’s license (front & back)
  4. Copy of Social Security card (front & back)
  5. Copy of most recent utility bill

At that point, I decided to wait.

After continuing to read threads on Friday 1/6/17, I realized the copy of the email that I sent wasn’t going to work so I made a call on Friday afternoon to check the status of my application. It became evident that there were questions about the validity of the Council that I joined. After reading that the San Diego Council was taking 3-4 weeks at times to send valid confirmations of membership that include Council designation and member numbers, I decided to complete another application and pay another $25 to join again. What can I say? I’m the impatient type. However, the time I used the following link: https://join.navyleague.org/wordpress/membership-form/ This web address is the correct NLSD membership form to complete.

I received another welcome email but this one said SAN DIEGO under the section “You will be assigned a Council based on your zip code unless you have a preferred council.” COOL!

This morning 1/7/2017, I called NFCU 9:15am EST and spoke to “Frankie”. She was awesome! She went back and forth between me and membership and told me the first email that I sent didn’t not have the council on it and would not work. I told her I had sent the wrong welcome email and had the one that said SAN DIEGO council. She asked that I email the scanned copy to membershipdocs@navyfederal.org. I promptly did such. She waited as I did it. Once I told her it was sent, she went back to membership and checked to see if it was received. When she came back she said that all emails had to go through a security scan and it might take a while before they received it. She told me to call back in one hour.

I waited until 10:06am and called back. The lady I spoke with basically stonewalled me. She told me that no one worked in membership on the weekends (which I knew was a lie) and that I should call back next Wednesday. I asked her if it would be better if I went to the branch and applied there. She told me no and that by doing such it could actually take longer. I could feel that she wasn’t concerned with helping me, so I simply hung up. But I didn’t give up.

I called back at 10:52am and went through the same process with another CSR. She was more helpful but she basically told me to be patient that I should no something by early next week. After hanging up with her, I decided that I was going to go to the branch anyway.

When I arrived at the branch, I told the receptionist that I was seeking to become a member through Navy League San Diego. She immediately told that they couldn’t help me and that all membership apps through NLSD had to be faxed or scanned. She slipped up and said that all they could do is scan my docs and send them and that I could do that myself. I politely told her that I would rather someone in the branch do it for me because the national membership office would answer their email before they answered mine. She asked me to wait until someone could help me.

About 5 minutes later, I was helped by a branch employee. I was thinking she would take me all the way through completion. She didn’t. She scanned my docs and said that I should hear something in 2-3 business days. I left the branch at 11:55am EST feeling impatient with the process.

I decided to call one final time at 12:57pm EST. I was greeted by Holly. I told her that this was third time that I had called today and each time there was a back and forth about documentation and I had resent docs every time. She put me on hold. She came back 2-3 times during the course of 15 minutes. Alas, at approximately 1:15pm she said, “WELCOME TO NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION! YOU’RE MEMBERSHIP HAS BEEN APPROVED!!!” Thank GOD!!!!

She spent the next 15 minutes giving me my access number and password and explaining the many many benefits of being a member. I told her that I wanted to immediately app for the Cash Rewards Visa and CLOC. She promptly got me connected to the credit card dept. I app’d and was instantly approved for $14,300. I told the CSR that I would like to app for the CLOC as well and she forwarded me to that department and I was instantly approved for the full $15,000. Not a bad days work! :grin:

The moral of the story is: you’ve got to HUCA until you get someone who wants to help you complete the process. I’m typing this will a smile from ear-to-ear!

My stats:

EX08 - 738 with 10 inquiries (5 in the last two months)

TU08 - 780 with 9 inquiries (3 in the last two months)

EQ08 - 774 with 6 inquiries (2 in the last two months)

AAOA:

EX - 5.1 years (oldest 15.1 years)

TU - 4.6 years (oldest 14.7 years)

EQ - 6.4 years (oldest 6.4 years)

7 new TL’s in the past 2 months.

Utilization: 2% across the board

New Accounts not reporting yet:

PenFed - $13,500 Visa Platinum Rewards

PenFed - $13,500 PLOC

No baddies.

I think that’s about it, folks. I wish the rest of you the best of luck getting in. I’m exhausted. Off to the garden for the remainder of 2017. Gotta let these accounts age.

Blessings! Happy New Year All!

By they way, they pulled TU for the membership and TU and EQ for CC and CLOC. I hope this helps others. :)

Edited by fthomasjr

Timeline to NFCU Membership:

Joined Navy League on Wednesday evening 1/4/17 and received an email acknowledging my receipt and donation at 9:46pm. Read it and thought it was weird that it didnt say San Diego Council even after I wrote San Diego in the box that asked Which Local Council would you like to join? DO NOT COMPLETE THE NLSD MEMBERSHIP USING THIS LINK!!! https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/jointoday If you do, you will be disappointed that the San Diego Council will not appear on your welcome email.

The next day morning at 9:02am I sent in the following docs:

• Completed NFCU membership application
  • Scanned copy of the email acknowledging my membership into the Navy League (even though San Diego Council was nowhere to be found on the email)
  • Copy of Drivers license (front & back)
  • Copy of Social Security card (front & back)
  • Copy of most recent utility bill

At that point, I decided to wait.

After continuing to read threads on Friday 1/6/17, I realized the copy of the email that I sent wasnt going to work so I made a call on Friday afternoon to check the status of my application. It became evident that there were questions about the validity of the Council that I joined. After reading that the San Diego Council was taking 3-4 weeks at times to send valid confirmations of membership that include Council designation and member numbers, I decided to complete another application and pay another $25 to join again. What can I say? Im the impatient type. However, the time I used the following link: https://join.navyleague.org/wordpress/membership-form/ This web address is the correct NLSD membership form to complete.

I received another welcome email but this one said SAN DIEGO under the section You will be assigned a Council based on your zip code unless you have a preferred council. COOL!

This morning 1/7/2017, I called NFCU 9:15am EST and spoke to Frankie. She was awesome! She went back and forth between me and membership and told me the first email that I sent didnt not have the council on it and would not work. I told her I had sent the wrong welcome email and had the one that said SAN DIEGO council. She asked that I email the scanned copy to membershipdocs@navyfederal.org. I promptly did such. She waited as I did it. Once I told her it was sent, she went back to membership and checked to see if it was received. When she came back she said that all emails had to go through a security scan and it might take a while before they received it. She told me to call back in one hour.

I waited until 10:06am and called back. The lady I spoke with basically stonewalled me. She told me that no one worked in membership on the weekends (which I knew was a lie) and that I should call back next Wednesday. I asked her if it would be better if I went to the branch and applied there. She told me no and that by doing such it could actually take longer. I could feel that she wasnt concerned with helping me, so I simply hung up. But I didnt give up.

I called back at 10:52am and went through the same process with another CSR. She was more helpful but she basically told me to be patient that I should no something by early next week. After hanging up with her, I decided that I was going to go to the branch anyway.

When I arrived at the branch, I told the receptionist that I was seeking to become a member through Navy League San Diego. She immediately told that they couldnt help me and that all membership apps through NLSD had to be faxed or scanned. She slipped up and said that all they could do is scan my docs and send them and that I could do that myself. I politely told her that I would rather someone in the branch do it for me because the national membership office would answer their email before they answered mine. She asked me to wait until someone could help me.

About 5 minutes later, I was helped by a branch employee. I was thinking she would take me all the way through completion. She didnt. She scanned my docs and said that I should hear something in 2-3 business days. I left the branch at 11:55am EST feeling impatient with the process.

I decided to call one final time at 12:57pm EST. I was greeted by Holly. I told her that this was third time that I had called today and each time there was a back and forth about documentation and I had resent docs every time. She put me on hold. She came back 2-3 times during the course of 15 minutes. Alas, at approximately 1:15pm she said, WELCOME TO NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION! YOURE MEMBERSHIP HAS BEEN APPROVED!!! Thank GOD!!!!

She spent the next 15 minutes giving me my access number and password and explaining the many many benefits of being a member. I told her that I wanted to immediately app for the Cash Rewards Visa and CLOC. She promptly got me connected to the credit card dept. I appd and was instantly approved for $14,300. I told the CSR that I would like to app for the CLOC as well and she forwarded me to that department and I was instantly approved for the full $15,000. Not a bad days work! :grin:

The moral of the story is: youve got to HUCA until you get someone who wants to help you complete the process. Im typing this will a smile from ear-to-ear!

My stats:

EX08 - 738 with 10 inquiries (5 in the last two months)

TU08 - 780 with 9 inquiries (3 in the last two months)

EQ08 - 774 with 6 inquiries (2 in the last two months)

AAOA:

EX - 5.1 years (oldest 15.1 years)

TU - 4.6 years (oldest 14.7 years)

EQ - 6.4 years (oldest 6.4 years)

7 new TLs in the past 2 months.

Utilization: 2% across the board

New Accounts not reporting yet:

PenFed - $13,500 Visa Platinum Rewards

PenFed - $13,500 PLOC

No baddies.

I think thats about it, folks. I wish the rest of you the best of luck getting in. Im exhausted. Off to the garden for the remainder of 2017. Gotta let these accounts age.

Blessings! Happy New Year All!

By they way, they pulled TU for the membership and TU and EQ for CC and CLOC. I hope this helps others. :)

Congrats! Love your persistence!

Joined Navy League on Wednesday evening 1/4/17 and received an email acknowledging my receipt and donation at 9:46pm. Read it and thought it was weird that it didn’t say San Diego Council even after I wrote “San Diego” in the box that asked “Which Local Council would you like to join?” DO NOT COMPLETE THE NLSD MEMBERSHIP USING THIS LINK!!! https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/jointoday If you do, you will be disappointed that the San Diego Council will not appear on your welcome email.

I just did this exact same thing without thinking about it. Googled their website and just did it all there instead of looking for a link. Got the receipt email and it doesn't say anything about San Diego on it. Guess I won't be able to join NFCU for a month.

I know this has been covered, but i'm trying to get a quick answer for my inquiring daughter...

I joined NFCU back in july through the San Diego NL....can my college sophomore daughter that doesn't live with me, join NFCU through me?

She's been on my AMEX BCP and CHASE CSP for 2 yrs now, and she recently got cards in her name with BOA, Cap One, Disc (without consulting me lst, but anyway).

Thanks

I know this has been covered, but i'm trying to get a quick answer for my inquiring daughter...

I joined NFCU back in july through the San Diego NL....can my college sophomore daughter that doesn't live with me, join NFCU through me?

She's been on my AMEX BCP and CHASE CSP for 2 yrs now, and she recently got cards in her name with BOA, Cap One, Disc (without consulting me lst, but anyway).

Thanks

Monger, she absolutely can! That's another one of the beautiful perks of membership with NFCU! Get her signed up!!! Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just did this exact same thing without thinking about it. Googled their website and just did it all there instead of looking for a link. Got the receipt email and it doesn't say anything about San Diego on it. Guess I won't be able to join NFCU for a month.

Yeah that sucks, dragon. I decided to bite the bullet and donate another $25 instead of wait another month. Good luck on getting your membership application approved sooner rather than later.

Yeah that sucks, dragon. I decided to bite the bullet and donate another $25 instead of wait another month. Good luck on getting your membership application approved sooner rather than later.

Yeah I might do the same. I've always wanted an NFCU account. Maybe its the semi-exclusivity or because a few navy friends have been constantly praising them for years, I dont know.. I am slightly worried though they will deny me cause my scores suck.

I joined using the wrong link also but I emailed the president and he said there was only one person working on the membership applications. He also said that you could join the Tri-city council or the Coronado council. Both are qualifications for NFCU membership. Just thought I'd let everyone know

When filling out the paper application for NFCU what are you supposed to put for Section B. Membership Eligibility, and Section C. Affiliation?

Section B. Membership Eligibility: Association/Community/Company --> Navy League San Diego

Section C. : Leave it blank (Unless any of them applies to you)

Section D. : Leave it blank (Unless any of them applies to you)