NFCU is open to everybody!?!

I joined DW last week with me as her sponsor. She opened free checking and savings, made initial deposit, got approved for $15k cloc and $12.2k Flagship.

A few days later online account access was locked out so she finally called tonight. They said they thought it was ID theft and froze the account. She verified info over phone and was told the account would be restored within a few days.

I have a feeling we'll be driving to the Richmond VA branch soon with docs.

Not sure what spooked them...my account is still fine BTW....for now.

I will say that I use a VPN on all my computers so it looks like access is coming from random locations at any given time. I've had issues with other banks since using a VPN for all traffic and it's interesting to see how much they log on their end. I redeemed some miles for GCs recently and got a call to confirm based on the geographic location they detected.

I don't know why people bother with this clown show when they have so many other options...

She's already checked off most the other options. In another thread I mentioned getting cash back bonuses this time of year for presents and home improvements.

The Flagship has a $300 bonus right now.

Some other reasons but this was the primary factor.

We spend weekends in Richmond all the time and it's a short drive. Like you said in another thread....would you lend money to a stranger?

This crap factory gives you accounts and THEN locks them. This would be more than $300 worth of hassle for me, especially since in a year you're going to have to pay an AF or PC to one of their other subprime cards.

Have a good day cv, and remember how much NFCU loves your thingy.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much insight in this thread.    

It would have been better if it had not been posted anywhere.

- rep's for all you rejects.

Posted Images

I joined DW last week with me as her sponsor. She opened free checking and savings, made initial deposit, got approved for $15k cloc and $12.2k Flagship.

A few days later online account access was locked out so she finally called tonight. They said they thought it was ID theft and froze the account. She verified info over phone and was told the account would be restored within a few days.

I have a feeling we'll be driving to the Richmond VA branch soon with docs.

I will say that I use a VPN on all my computers so it looks like access is coming from random locations at any given time. I've had issues with other banks since using a VPN for all traffic and it's interesting to see how much they log on their end. I redeemed some miles for GCs recently and got a call to confirm based on the geographic location they detected.

I don't know why people bother with this clown show when they have so many other options...

She's already checked off most the other options. In another thread I mentioned getting cash back bonuses this time of year for presents and home improvements.

The Flagship has a $300 bonus right now.

Some other reasons but this was the primary factor.

We spend weekends in Richmond all the time and it's a short drive. Like you said in another thread....would you lend money to a stranger?

This crap factory gives you accounts and THEN locks them. This would be more than $300 worth of hassle for me, especially since in a year you're going to have to pay an AF or PC to one of their other subprime cards.

Have a good day cv, and remember how much NFCU loves your thingy.

I'm a legend in their security department.

I will say that I use a VPN on all my computers so it looks like access is coming from random locations at any given time. I've had issues with other banks since using a VPN for all traffic and it's interesting to see how much they log on their end.

It's not just the phyiscal location. Lots of the VPN IP's eventually make it to black lists.

I use a VPN usually through Hong Kong when in China. CB will not let me access occasionally. I have to log out and re-log in and I can get access. So it's shifted to a different IP.

Yup. Spammers and those in the nefarious group also love VPNs. That's probably why they tend to end up blacklisted. That's probably why I tend to get the code-in-an-email crap most times I log in to various online banking accounts.

I will say that I use a VPN on all my computers so it looks like access is coming from random locations at any given time. I've had issues with other banks since using a VPN for all traffic and it's interesting to see how much they log on their end.

It's not just the phyiscal location. Lots of the VPN IP's eventually make it to black lists.

I use a VPN usually through Hong Kong when in China. CB will not let me access occasionally. I have to log out and re-log in and I can get access. So it's shifted to a different IP.

Yup. Spammers and those in the nefarious group also love VPNs. That's probably why they tend to end up blacklisted. That's probably why I tend to get the code-in-an-email crap most times I log in to various online banking accounts.

Every time I sit down to login to all of our accounts, I make sure I have my wallet, my phone, DW's email address and any other pertinents. I've gotten used to the two step authentication but it sure is annoying. I use my cell phone on all her accounts so I can get the text msg codes....just to login and pay the freaking bill.

Every time I sit down to login to all of our accounts, I make sure I have my wallet, my phone, DW's email address and any other pertinents. I've gotten used to the two step authentication but it sure is annoying. I use my cell phone on all her accounts so I can get the text msg codes....just to login and pay the freaking bill.

Very annoying -- especially when they have to send you an e-mail code.

Discover does this every freaking time. As much as you click on the "remember this device" thingy, it does no good.

just thought i could contribute my experiences here, whatever it's worth :)

got established this week with NFCU via NLSD. immediately approved for cashRewards 2500 CL. found out today that CLOC declined due to outstanding collections. WHAT?!

checked reports, and TU is clean. equifax showing 3 open collections. turns out that the OC that i negotiated with DID request the CA to delete/remove all of the items, but apparently the CA had failed to get 3 of the accounts (of 13) included in the paperwork that they sent to EQ. not sure if this means that the cards are a TU check and CLOC an EQ check, but hey, that's what i know.

anyways, will have more non-NFCU detail in my other thread. thought this might be of interest here.

I hadn't thought of blacklisted IPs. Good point.

The service I use at home has blocks if IPs for US East, Central US and US West. Each group rotates between about 10 IPs.

It's kind of like 'unintended consequences' but I'd prefer having all my traffic encrypted any day.

I'll update my post after we find out what they decide to do with her account.

If you're on your home internet there's no benefit to using a VPN service, other than for using torrents and not getting DMCA notices and/or lawsuits. The connection to your bank is secured by TLS encryption (frequently referred to as SSL) but unencrypted connections will still be unencrypted between the VPN and the website.

If you're away from home a VPN isn't a bad idea if you're on an untrusted network. If you frequently login to your financial accounts the best solution might be to get a router with a VPN function. When correctly configured this will route all your traffic through your home internet connection and will reduce or avoid security alerts and verification issues.

I hadn't thought of blacklisted IPs. Good point.

The service I use at home has blocks if IPs for US East, Central US and US West. Each group rotates between about 10 IPs.

It's kind of like 'unintended consequences' but I'd prefer having all my traffic encrypted any day.

I'll update my post after we find out what they decide to do with her account.

If you're on your home internet there's no benefit to using a VPN service, other than for using torrents and not getting DMCA notices and/or lawsuits. The connection to your bank is secured by TLS encryption (frequently referred to as SSL) but unencrypted connections will still be unencrypted between the VPN and the website.

If you're away from home a VPN isn't a bad idea if you're on an untrusted network. If you frequently login to your financial accounts the best solution might be to get a router with a VPN function. When correctly configured this will route all your traffic through your home internet connection and will reduce or avoid security alerts and verification issues.

The VPN service I use is at a system level and browser level....browser traffic is actually getting hopped twice, with no noticeable slowdown in ping times or responsiveness. ALL traffic is encrypted, or traffic does not flow otherwise, controlled by the built in firewall. The computer will not send or receive anything until a secure tunnel has been established. If the tunnel is interrupted all traffic stops until it is restored.

There are plenty of benefits to using a VPN service with encryption at home. One of them is a direct benefit to members here......finding Amex sign up bonus offers that are otherwise not available without trying different geographical locations.

Just emailed the membership application, copy of Navy League San Diego membership and DL, SS card and utility bill.

Sent to:

membershipdocs@navyfederal.org

Now waiting to see what happens.

I sent all of that stuff snail mail back in August, but it never arrived.

They had no record of us when we called after a few weeks.

We will see how they deal with email of documents.

Just emailed the membership application, copy of Navy League San Diego membership and DL, SS card and utility bill.

Sent to:

membershipdocs@navyfederal.org

Now waiting to see what happens.

I sent all of that stuff snail mail back in August, but it never arrived.

They had no record of us when we called after a few weeks.

We will see how they deal with email of documents.

Of course your original submission arrived. They lost it.

Have you not been reading this thread? Losing applications is what they do best, followed by freezing legitimate accounts, and then illegal collection practices.

It's been over 4 months since I joined via Navy League San Diego. Is it safe to move my direct deposit over now or are my accounts still at risk of potentially being locked by their membership audit security team? Already got my credit card to a $25,000 limit. Started at $1600, got a CLI before receiving it in the mail to $5000 and another CLI to $25,000 after 3 statements cut.

This thread is so long I lost track. But can you apply online vs filling out a pdf application?

You can but read I've understood is if your membership actually gets opened & approved theres a higher chance of it being locked due to an eligibility audit. Not sure how true it is, take it with a grain of salt and YMMV

It's been over 4 months since I joined via Navy League San Diego. Is it safe to move my direct deposit over now or are my accounts still at risk of potentially being locked by their membership audit security team? Already got my credit card to a $25,000 limit. Started at $1600, got a CLI before receiving it in the mail to $5000 and another CLI to $25,000 after 3 statements cut.

I'm not sure all I know is that I'm glad I already went through their security. It took forever when I signed up but its out of the way.

By the way CONGRATS on getting your card to 25k!

Hopefully I can get results like that after the next SP.

This thread is so long I lost track. But can you apply online vs filling out a pdf application?

I applied online but got sent an email a day later to fill out the paper application and include a pic of my government issued ID and a copy of the welcome letter from SD Navy League. Still waiting on a decision since providing that info.

Awesome! Were these auto CLIs are did you ask for them?

I called NFCU. The rep was unsure if she could do it over the phone per the suggestion of the chat agent. She put me on hold to get more info on NL SD chapter apps. She said that the paper app and email is the proper channel to use. So that is what I ended up doing. All you need is the NFCU app, copy of the NL welcome letter and copy of SS and photo ID. They are open 24/7 at their main service center which is refreshing to hear for a CU.

Since I have 0 hard inquiries on TU, I expect to get one from NFCU but want to keep 4 available for future apps with Chase next year. Did I read that if you get a credit card offer from NFCU then no other hard inquiry will ensue as opposed to app-ing for the CC on demand there is another?

Edited by flanative

Awesome! Were these auto CLIs are did you ask for them?

I asked for them. The card was instant approved at 1600 and the CL I i asked for before I received the card in the mail resulted in a hard pull and wasn't an instant approval, they raised it to 5000. The CLI after 3 statements cut from $5000 to $25,000 was an instant approval and a soft pull. Always ask for $25,000 and they will counter with the max they're willing to give you. I thought i was tripping when I asked for $25,000 and I submitted it and said it was approved for the full 25k.

And I must of been really lucky when I emailed my app with NLUS San Diego welcome letter, drivers license and social security. I emailed it in the morning like 6am or something if I remember right and got an email back at like 3pm or 4pm that same day saying my membership had been opened, along with an email from Creditkarma alerting me of a hard pull from NFCU. That was during the beginning of June when I opened my NFCU membership.

And what its worth, my annual gross income is slightly less then $32,000/year.

Edited by PizzaPowerPunch

I called NFCU. The rep was unsure if she could do it over the phone per the suggestion of the chat agent. She put me on hold to get more info on NL SD chapter apps. She said that the paper app and email is the proper channel to use. So that is what I ended up doing. All you need is the NFCU app, copy of the NL welcome letter and copy of SS and photo ID. They are open 24/7 at their main service center which is refreshing to hear for a CU.

Since I have 0 hard inquiries on TU, I expect to get one from NFCU but want to keep 4 available for future apps with Chase next year. Did I read that if you get a credit card offer from NFCU then no other hard inquiry will ensue as opposed to app-ing for the CC on demand there is another?

NFCU will hard-pull like there is no tomorrow. I got one on TU for the membership, one on TU for the CC, one on TU and one on EQ for the CLOC.

When I ask for a CLI soon I expect another hard pull. Not sure if they give you an "offer" what happens, but assume it will be hard.

I had a question regarding how long I should wait to ask for a credit limit increase. I have been a member since August and I got in using the method in this thread. My initial limit approved for instantly was $2900 which is good considering before this credit card I had $300 BOA cash secured card and another local credit union card for $7000. These are the only 3 I have now and I started applying for everything in July this year. Credit at the time TU 585 fico 8 and now its 640 fico 8 TU. Of course I still quite a lot of baddies on all three reports. Also I want to mention Navy declined my CLOC request however I will try again in 6 months.

I had a question regarding how long I should wait to ask for a credit limit increase. I have been a member since August and I got in using the method in this thread. My initial limit approved for instantly was $2900 which is good considering before this credit card I had $300 BOA cash secured card and another local credit union card for $7000. These are the only 3 I have now and I started applying for everything in July this year. Credit at the time TU 585 fico 8 and now its 640 fico 8 TU. Of course I still quite a lot of baddies on all three reports. Also I want to mention Navy declined my CLOC request however I will try again in 6 months.

I tried a CLI request at 3 months and it was denied due to the card being too new. Did not stop them from doing a hard pull though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried a CLI request at 3 months and it was denied due to the card being too new. Did not stop them from doing a hard pull though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually wait 3 to 4 months and have never had a hard pull for a CLI request. Give them another month or so and try again. keeping your credit bureau files frozen is a good insurance policy.

Yeah I don't understand why someone can get a CLI within a few days of opening a card and others who wait 3 months before applying are told it's too new.

Different profiles, different outcomes.