NFCU is open to everybody!?!

I have a question for all you gurus. I followed the first post exactly and my application was processing with the membership services dept for 3 weeks. Today when I called to check on the status the front rep told me that my membership app has been denied due to "incorrect info" on the application. BSA security is asking for me to go to a NFCU branch and apply in person. I have no idea what they are talking about because I sent them 2 IDS and 2 bills with the app! But that's besides the point.

My questions are:

1: Am I doomed here? Meaning just forget abt joining NFCU as they suspect fraud maybe?

2. The nearest NFCU branch is abt 4 hrs away from me. I can make that trip however do you guys think they will accept me at the branch? With my first app being denied?

3. Another thing is, that my roommate (non military) is a NFCU member. I was hoping to not ask him for any favors, but is there any advantage of using him vs the NLSD route? If I'm using him, is it possible for me to apply over the phone with his member #? Or will it be better to go to the branch and use him as my sponsor? I hate to be stuck in BSA hell again.

I had pretty much the exact same thing happen. I ended up going to a branch, after three attempts to submit via email, to verify everything. Navy League is definitely a valid method so that won't be a problem. Within three days of my visit I had a membership, $21.5k rewards card and $15k CLOC. It's worth the hassle if you are rebuilding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much insight in this thread.    

It would have been better if it had not been posted anywhere.

- rep's for all you rejects.

Posted Images

Thanks so much for the feedback guys. I will go ahead and go into a branch. One of the reasons I don't want to go via the roommate is that I am not sure how he got in. If NFCU cancels his membership due to eligibility issues, will the the ppl he sponsored get the boot as well? Or are they safe?

Edited by Singa

Emailed my docs on Sept 27th. Just got a hard inquiry update from Credit Karma from NCFU. 2 minutes later got an email saying I was approved for membership. They pulled Transunion. I'm paying down 3 of my 4 credit cards down to 0 balances this week and waiting for it them to report (need to get my utilization down as it's very high right now). Then going to apply for a credit card and loc.

Will do they another hard pull on TU for the cc? Or will it be a soft?

Have had my card just shy of 4 months. Got approved for $1600 initially, requested a CLI and got $5000 before I received the card in the mail in June (and it was a HP). And now almost 4 months later I got a SOFT PULL cli from $5000 to $25,000!!!!!!!!

What are your Fico scores and utilization?

Edited by backto750

Have had my card just shy of 4 months. Got approved for $1600 initially, requested a CLI and got $5000 before I received the card in the mail in June (and it was a HP). And now almost 4 months later I got a SOFT PULL cli from $5000 to $25,000!!!!!!!!

According to the free fico from Discover its 676 and the one on my American Express is 703. Utilization is 9% and my income is a tad less then $32,000/year.

Edited by PizzaPowerPunch

According to the free fico from Discover its 676 and the one on my American Express is 703. Utilization is 9% and my income is a tad less then $32,000/year.

Thanks!

One more question. I just got approved today (hard pull on TU). I'm going to apply for a CC and LOC in two weeks after I get my utilization down and it reports. Will I get another hard pull or a soft pull? I just want to make sure that the new fico score with the lowered utilization is used because I'm probably too high to get approved. My scores are higher than the ones in my sig. I just haven't updated yet.

Edited by backto750

That will be another hard pull. TU or EQ, far as I know. One hard pull per product, so two if you'll be applying for CC and CLOC.

So a hard pull for membership when you just get the savings/checking account. And then two more hard pulls for CC and CLOC?

That will be another hard pull. TU or EQ, far as I know. One hard pull per product, so two if you'll be applying for CC and CLOC.

So a hard pull for membership when you just get the savings/checking account. And then two more hard pulls for CC and CLOC?

Yes. Unless you're really lucky and they double pull for the CLOC.

Thanks for creating this thread. I read through it entirely before applying. On page 52 re-reading through it again about applying for a CC and CLOC. Do you know which CC is best to apply for....for getting a higher limit? I'm more focused on a higher limit than rewards at the moment.

Thanks for creating this thread. I read through it entirely before applying. On page 52 re-reading through it again about applying for a CC and CLOC. Do you know which CC is best to apply for....for getting a higher limit? I'm more focused on a higher limit than rewards at the moment.

Don't think it really makes a difference and I believe (but not 100% sure so dont quote me on this) that you can product change to a different card if you want later on

I don't think the product matters for the limit.

There is a $50K cap on all cards except the Flagship.

I'd pick the card most useful to you, whether that be rewards or the lowest APR etc.

I'd pick the card most useful to you, whether that be rewards or the lowest APR etc.

Last question I promise :)

I've been looking around in my account. I can't find the recommendation option. I've seen people mention a recommendation option where you get $50 for a referral. I want to get my wife into NFCU since I'm a member now. Is that the best way to do it?

I've been looking around in my account. I can't find the recommendation option. I've seen people mention a recommendation option where you get $50 for a referral. I want to get my wife into NFCU since I'm a member now. Is that the best way to do it?

I believe the promo expired on 09/30

How about someone getting in because their spouse is already a member? Can you do that from your own account or do they need to go through the same submission process.

How about someone getting in because their spouse is already a member? Can you do that from your own account or do they need to go through the same submission process.

My husband just became a member. I emailed all the same documents except for proof of NLSD membership. Use your access number on the app as how she is eligible.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk