Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

NFCU is open to everybody!?!

So ima sucker for this....

Just joined the San diego navy league....sent the $25 + $10 donation for good karma.

I printed out the 'congratulatory' membership form from the navy league.

Do i need to wait for the navy league membership card and docs that they're sending in the mail, or do I go ahead and print out the NFCU app, and send that in with the congratulatory Navy league membership form that I juust printed out when I joined?

TIA

+1

I just came to ask this myself since the email online is only an "Order Summary". Worst case scenario, one of my best friends currently serves in the Navy and is stationed near San Diego, so I'll imagine my contribution helps him in some way.

You can join Navy Federal immediately after you sign up for the Navy League online, no need to wait for the membership card in the mail.

When I applied I sent my Navy Fed application around 5-6am and got an email by 2pm saying I was approved and my accounts were successfully opened. YMMV with how long it takes, some people have reported it taking a couple days.

I still haven't heard back and I did mine lat Sunday.

I called 2 days later they said it was in security.

I also saw a TU pull but not a hard inq, got the notification.

Said it was a security pull.

I have seen those sort of pulls on Experian also that doesn't rate as a hard inq.

So I think they are holding apps and reviewing everything now.

Or just holding a sample of those that applied through Navy league.

So just be aware this could take awhile.

I talked to a guy over at MF he did his before mine and they told him to wait about a week.

So I will call next Friday or just wait for an email or letter.

Hmm I don't recall seeing this on their online application before. It's technically the same thing you do on the paper application. Is there anyone who hasn't joined that wants to volunteer to GP it and try it out?

YeDpxdi.png

Edited by PizzaPowerPunch

Do you have to maintain an annual membership with the Navy League?

In other words, will there be a $25 AF?

No, once you are in a credit union, you are usually in for life. Job change, moving, decide you dont like the Navy League...none of that usually matters.

Thanks Konrad!

Should have remembered the tenacity with which some credit unions cling ... ;)

Hmm I don't recall seeing this on their online application before. It's technically the same thing you do on the paper application. Is there anyone who hasn't joined that wants to volunteer to GP it and try it out?

YeDpxdi.png

I did it this way online yesterday. NFCU email says application is under review. I emailed scanned documents that Konrad suggested this morning.

Edited by cloknem

For those who joined the Navy League, how long did it take to receive the membership card? I understand for application purposes people are using the email they received, but I'm curious about the card itself.

For those who joined the Navy League, how long did it take to receive the membership card? I understand for application purposes people are using the email they received, but I'm curious about the card itself.

Just got mine yesterday in mail. Joined May 19th. So about a month.

A rep from Navy just told a friend that my brother told to join thru the San Diego League to get in that this is about to expire...The rep did not elaborate much else but she just called to tell me to tell you all if you're going to get in this way go ahead and don't wait.

A rep from Navy just told a friend that my brother told to join thru the San Diego League to get in that this is about to expire...The rep did not elaborate much else but she just called to tell me to tell you all if you're going to get in this way go ahead and don't wait.

Interesting. A rep called your brothers friend telling them to join soon if they want in and that they should go let other people know this method of joining NFCU is about to expire? Sorry this sounds a bit suspicious and you only have 23 posts (Don't take it personally, I take the vast majority of stuff I read on the internet with a grain of salt, especially on a message board from someone who barely has any posts) But this sounds kind of silly.

Can anyone else confirm? Not saying you're making it up, just that its a bit suspicious and the "brothers friend" part

That is not what I said....please read.

I said my brothers friend called to join the San Diego League way.... They did let her join but the rep did say that was about to expire.... I also said in my post the rep did not elaborate further was passing along what she called and told me. I've been a member there for over 4 years so no benefit to me one way or another was just trying to be helpful as what thus board and it's members are supposed to be towards one another.

You have 34 posts so I'm not too far behind you....have been reading and learning here for quite awhile now, however never wanted to post due to people like yourself.

That is not what I said....please read.

I said my brothers friend called to join the San Diego League way.... They did let her join but the rep did say that was about to expire.... I also said in my post the rep did not elaborate further was passing along what she called and told me. I've been a member there for over 4 years so no benefit to me one way or another was just trying to be helpful as what thus board and it's members are supposed to be towards one another.

First I said don't take it personally, because like I said I take stuff like this with a grain of salt until we know for sure (which people should, people shouldn't blindly believe everything a random person says on a message board). And I also asked "Can anyone else confirm?" because I'm curious myself if anyone else has heard anything similar. I never said I don't believe you, I just said i'm taking it with a grain of salt until others come forward saying they've heard the same thing.

I'll make my move tomorrow. Trying to decide if I will do it in person at the local branch or through email. Guess I'll flip a coin. I'll share my results regardless.

I submitted all my docs via email Friday evening. Not passing up the opportunity. Will post back with results.

We have a way in thru DWs grandmother but I've been lazy on going that route. This method requires no family involvement. :good:

What are you guys sending in as 2 forms of I.D.?

Drivers license, SS card, birth certificate? Man that's alot of info going thru the wires and into strangers hands.

I sent Drivers License and social security card

This. I appd last night and submitted the above and a current copy of a utility bill.

I hate doing that. Paranoia ya know.

Jeesh...I gotta figure out how to scan/save/pdf/email....I need a secretary.

I hate doing that. Paranoia ya know.

Jeesh...I gotta figure out how to scan/save/pdf/email....I need a secretary.

There is such a thing as secure email you could look into. Or you can fax it from your computer. Usually couple pages free or a small fee to send a larger fax.

http://www.faxzero.com is what I usually use. Free 3 pages,5 pages per day. Works amazing. $1.99 fax up to 25 pages.

Theres numerous other ones too that work the same you fax right from the site, no need to sign up for an account or anything.

http://www.gotfreefax.com/ 98 cents for 10 pages

http://myfax.com/free/

http://www.faxfree.com/

I'll make my move tomorrow. Trying to decide if I will do it in person at the local branch or through email. Guess I'll flip a coin. I'll share my results regardless.

If you have a local branch that is convenient....I would absolutely go into a branch if you REALLY want to join NFCU. This will expedite the process and enable you to address any issues on the spot and in person. Plus you can avoid any questions regarding your identity. Now if you do visit a branch, please report back here with details and any intel that you can extricate from the NFCU branch staff.

Edited by Rogue

If you have a local branch that is convenient....I would absolutely go into a branch if you REALLY want to join NFCU. This will expedite the process and enable you to address any issues on the spot and in person. Plus you can avoid any questions regarding your identity. Now if you do visit a branch, please report back here with details and any intel that you can extricate from the NFCU branch staff.

I'd recommend going into a branch too. Also you get your debit card instantly that way if that matters to you.

And yes, if you do go into a branch, please report back with any info you get from the staff!

Hey PPP....I was going to rep you for all of your work and information in regards to NFCU here on CB....heck even HEGE is going to join the Navy now! Unfortunately I am not able to rep you for some reason here?