NFCU is open to everybody!?!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much insight in this thread.    

It would have been better if it had not been posted anywhere.

- rep's for all you rejects.

Posted Images

Okay, I'll ask the obvious question, other than high limits and approvals for people with less than perfect credit, what is the big draw for this CU when there are so many others in the ocean?

Forbidden fruit, people want what they can't have (which technically describes most credit unions but Navy is the largest, affiliated with the miltary, is known for good customer service and has some decent credit cards)

Same thing with USAA. People would go crazy if they could get into USAA.

Edited by PizzaPowerPunch

Okay, I'll ask the obvious question, other than high limits and approvals for people with less than perfect credit, what is the big draw for this CU when there are so many others in the ocean?

Forbidden fruit, people want what they can't have.

According to this thread, there is nothing forbidden about it.

Just wanted to ask because I skipped over what looked like an argument and might have missed something. Does the SD chapter accept members that are not local? I live on the east coast and if this is a way to get in to NFCU without lying I would like to try it out.

Like I told cv91915 to do (until I found out he has a San Diego address he used) try it out and see, and let us know, and it can help put the debate to rest. The thread over on myfico got locked. I'm genuinely curious myself, I got into Navy League a few days before word was going around Navy League started restricting membership.

New topic over at MF, that states it is open to join from anywhere. I will be trying today, but I live in SoCal so it may not be a perfect data point. I live about 100 miles from SD in Orange county.

Linky to MF. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/NLUS-San-Diego-alive-and-well/td-p/4640823

Forbidden fruit, people want what they can't have.

According to this thread, there is nothing forbidden about it.

True, but it is a "secret" way and Navy doesn't advertise it anywhere hahaha

Just wanted to ask because I skipped over what looked like an argument and might have missed something. Does the SD chapter accept members that are not local? I live on the east coast and if this is a way to get in to NFCU without lying I would like to try it out.

Like I told cv91915 to do (until I found out he has a San Diego address he used) try it out and see, and let us know, and it can help put the debate to rest. The thread over on myfico got locked. I'm genuinely curious myself, I got into Navy League a few days before word was going around Navy League started restricting membership.

New topic over at MF, that states it is open to join from anywhere. I will be trying today, but I live in SoCal so it may not be a perfect data point. I live about 100 miles from SD in Orange county.

Linky to MF. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/NLUS-San-Diego-alive-and-well/td-p/4640823

Good to know someone just made it up to create drama.

I have everything ready to email in. Do you need to send funding, or will they allow you to fund once the account is opened?

edit- signed up for San Diego Navy League today from the opposite coast

Edited by Goose123

I have everything ready to email in. Do you need to send funding, or will they allow you to fund once the account is opened?

edit- signed up for San Diego Navy League today from the opposite coast

Can fund it once the account is opened. Your savings will show -$5. I deposited money via Paypal after my account was opened and applied and got instant approved for a credit card before I funded my account.

Once approved and your savings and/or checking is open, find your access number here

https://my.navyfederal.org/NFOAA_Auth/mktfindmyaccessnumber.xhtml

Password to online banking will be last 4 digits of access number and last 4 of social security (if I remember right) and it will ask you to set a new password when you first login (unless you check the box on the application stating you don't want online access, But if you did that you can probably sign up online banking yourself on the website)

Edited by PizzaPowerPunch

Forbidden fruit, people want what they can't have (which technically describes most credit unions but Navy is the largest, affiliated with the miltary, is known for good customer service and has some decent credit cards)

I am also a member(?) of USAA. I "got in" before they changed their eligibility requirements. I have checking and savings, for reasons I cannot explain.

Nothing to see here, although the 1% fee (and no other fees) on foreign ATM withdrawals was nice. I dumped some money into checking before we went to Europe last summer, and I used my USAA ATM card to get cash a couple of times. So I guess they've been useful once in five years.

Promotional CD rates and other financial products.

I'm doubting that Navy league ever restricted membership. One person couldn't find the link so assumed that they shut down the entire membership? Navy leagues website was undergoing renovation to change the link from one form to the national form it now links to?

But yes, if I was the one person out of thousands that everyone was indicating got a not well-known workaround shut down I would be hugely defensive too.

And this is my main point: people see something happening so that they jump, assuming why it happened. The more simpleminded, no need to name names here, will miss that point.

Since none of us are NFCU or Navy league None of us are privy to what or why they make the decisions they do. We are left guessing.

It has been hypothesized you have to join the San Diego Chapter but if it's true that merely belonging to the Navy league grants you membership to NFCU... it shouldn't really matter which chapter you join.

Determining true cause-and-effect is a little more complicated than "well I did it so that must be how it works." as illustrated by others who have gotten membership only later to have it revoked. " Well I got in that way" Will only stand if a security review were performed and passed. Restated, just because I didn't get a speeding citation for driving 90 in a certain area doesn't mean that it's legal to drive 90 it just means that I didn't get caught.

And while the NFCU's response that people have posted seems fairly clear I, for one,have a little bit of concern by their last line.

Doesn't mean this isn't a valid method of joining. Doesn't mean people shouldn't attempt to join.

Edited by mfarmer

To sum up this thread, all of the information in my original post was correct.

Thanks again to CreditHunting for bringing this to my attention.

Yes, and no. As others have indicated if this is truly a legitimate way of joining Then it's truly a legitimate way of joining . At the same time each of us, all of us, want to belong to an exclusive club where after we've joined membership gets shut down.

That's the purpose of forums like this is to share information for us all.

That being said, all of the bickering, instant attacks, fragile egos and impotent people sure makes sharing information challenging.

Just because one person doesn't interpret things the same as you doesn't mean the other person is wrong. Just because one person proposes an alternative explanation doesn't mean that they're arguing with you. This has been and remains my largest criticism of this forum.

I think it's possible to share information, support each other and work things through without having to attack each other

I am also a member(?) of USAA. I "got in" before they changed their eligibility requirements. I have checking and savings, for reasons I cannot explain.

Nothing to see here, although the 1% fee (and no other fees) on foreign ATM withdrawals was nice. I dumped some money into checking before we went to Europe last summer, and I used my USAA ATM card to get cash a couple of times. So I guess they've been useful once in five years.

I used to have second class status with USAA but got tired of it and closed my Amex.

from what I read today APYs are not spectacular.

I used to have second class status with USAA but got tired of it and closed my Amex.

from what I read today APYs are not spectacular.

Last year they had a 5% promo offer, many people like the no fee 0% BT offers as well.

Why is that? You're in, I'm in, PotO is in, screw everyone else? It's a credit union membership, not a CC rewards loophole, or a CRA trick. Rewards loopholes and CRA tricks, when the loopholes get closed, takes away the benefits for the previous knowledge holders. If NFCU closes this loophole, it just means new people can't join. No previous members are affected.

Why is that? You're in, I'm in, PotO is in, screw everyone else? It's a credit union membership, not a CC rewards loophole, or a CRA trick. Rewards loopholes and CRA tricks, when the loopholes get closed, takes away the benefits for the previous knowledge holders. If NFCU closes this loophole, it just means new people can't join. No previous members are affected.

Because NFCU was already aware of it and shut it down because the floodgates were opened. When information gets spread by PM, it's more of a trickle.

Passing some time and ran into this statement from an older thread on a real estate forum which I found odd because of the recent MF thread.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/432/topics/165712-stupid-question

"Residential Real Estate Agent from Corpus Christi, Texas

replied over 1 year ago

So I just got word from the Higher Ups at Navy Federal that if you join the "Navy League of San Diego", you will qualify for a Navy Federal membership. Anyone can join by paying the dues for one year. If you're in college, the dues are $25, if not they're $65. So with this, anyone can take advantage of the 100% financing conventional loan products at Navy Federal!

Here's a link to the Navy League:

http://www.navyleague-sd.com/index.php?i=Membership"