Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

NFCU is open to everybody!?!

Earlier in the thread somebody claimed speaking with NFCU to verify membership via membership of the Navy league San Diego chapter.

I will add that NFCU IS a sponsoring organization of the Navy league.

However the instructions are to join my mailing or faxing in an application because the online application requires an answer to part C asking sponsoring members affiliation. Those mailing or faxing in applications have been leaving part C open

This makes me a bit suspicious that membership, if granted, might be in error subject to later revocation as we have heard some people suffer

It is possible that NFCU allows membership through sponsoring organization as much as it is possible that those who have gotten membership have sent simply gotten it falsely or in error pending possibility of later investigation

Not sure what you are talking about, but the fact is ...

Navy Federal membership is overseen by a Charter and National Credit Union Administration. In 2010 USA Federal Credit Union was merged with Navy Federal at the request of the National Credit Union Administration. As part of the due diligence with merger, Navy Federal was asked to continue to accept USA Federal Credit Union's Charter which includes the Navy League of United States San Diego Council. While the information you provided is accurate, Navy Federal does not actively market this information for those who are not eligible in their own right. Additionally, we do verify all membership applications to make sure everyone who has applied does fall with in our field of membership.

You are still allowed to select San Diego chapter as the one that you are joining.

Hmm. I may do this. Just because.

If you do let us know if you're successful in joining the SD NL so we know for sure whether or not if they're accepting new members from outside of the San Diego area (Unless you live in San Diego, then nevermind haha)
We have a home and live in San Diego part-time. I was planning to join with my SD address.

$80K instant approval! Do it!

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-17%20at%207.41.0

You are still allowed to select San Diego chapter as the one that you are joining.

Hmm. I may do this. Just because.

If you do let us know if you're successful in joining the SD NL so we know for sure whether or not if they're accepting new members from outside of the San Diego area (Unless you live in San Diego, then nevermind haha)
We have a home and live in San Diego part-time. I was planning to join with my SD address.
$80K instant approval! Do it!

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-17%20at%207.41.0

:good:

Oh, so wait, PotO... It actually was you who called NFCU and brought this method to their attention !?

Edited by mfarmer

Excuse me, more accurately, brought to their attention that people, otherwise not qualified, were using this as a way to join?

Excuse me, more accurately, brought to their attention that people, otherwise not qualified, were using this as a way to join?

Does it hurt when you think?

First of all, you need to RTFM. People have been calling Navy Fed for a long time to inquire whether they are eligible by being a member of the SD Council of the Navy League. The results have been always the same.

Second, the whole Navy League membership IS for those otherwise not qualified. Therefore, why would Navy need to be alerted since they themselves know people are joining through the Navy League?

Third, you are making an assumption that only an flowers would make.

Fourth, if I need to contact the highest levels of Navy, I simply call and get instant gratification. I don't bother with their secured messages.

The issue now is not Navy, Einstein. It's whether or not the Navy League has tightened up eligibility to specifically join the San Diego Council. That is not within the credit union's jurisdiction.

Gives me a warm feeling when people start acting like dicks.

Sure, it's my fault that your analytical abilities are on par with those of a purple chimp.

But thanks for the idea. Maybe I do need to make a call.

Edited by PotO

Like I said, people need to fill the paper application out for Navy Fed and email, fax, or mail it. Unless they got some serious state of the art futuristic equipment, it's being looked at by a human at Navy Federal. And with Navy being huge (the largest credit union there is) they probably have a ton of people looking at applications for new members. Why hasn't a single application been denied from someone joining via Navy League SD if it's not legit?

Like I said, people need to fill the paper application out for Navy Fed and email, fax, or mail it. Unless they got some serious state of the art futuristic equipment, it's being looked at by a human at Navy Federal. And with Navy being huge (the largest credit union there is) they probably have a ton of people looking at applications for new members. Why hasn't a single application been denied from someone joining via Navy League SD if it's not legit?

Do I need to go to a branch to get the paper application?

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/applications-forms/NFCU97.pdf

In section B, check Association/Community/Company and write San Diego Navy League off to the side. Include a copy of your drivers license and social security, and a screenshot of the email welcoming you to the Navy League San Diego and screenshot of your bank/credit card statement showing the $25 charge you made to join the SD Navy League.

Edited by PizzaPowerPunch

It is possible that NFCU allows membership through sponsoring organization as much as it is possible that those who have gotten membership have sent simply gotten it falsely or in error pending possibility of later investigation

Yes, the largest credit union, with the applications being emailed/faxed/mailed having to be manually reviewed by a human, and every single one of them being accepted/approved whos applied here and on other websites (mainly myfico)

And you're convinced all these people were accepted in by accident or mistake and not a single one denied??????????

I got the same message Poto got too, here is a screenshot rather then a copy and paste of the message if you don't believe me.

w1sgnn.jpg

PPP, I'm not sure Einstein will be able to grasp that. :)

Anyhow, as you pointed out the only issue is whether the SD Council is restricting new members. Once you are a member of the SD Council, NFCU has no option other than let you join until such time as the NCUA allows a change to NFCU's charter.

Okay, I'll ask the obvious question, other than high limits and approvals for people with less than perfect credit, what is the big draw for this CU when there are so many others in the ocean?

Okay, I'll ask the obvious question, other than high limits and approvals for people with less than perfect credit, what is the big draw for this CU when there are so many others in the ocean?

Other than what you mentioned, Hege, for the vast majority of members there is no other draw.

People with military fetishes faint at the sight of companies that pander to their proclivities.

Just wanted to ask because I skipped over what looked like an argument and might have missed something. Does the SD chapter accept members that are not local? I live on the east coast and if this is a way to get in to NFCU without lying I would like to try it out.

Just wanted to ask because I skipped over what looked like an argument and might have missed something. Does the SD chapter accept members that are not local? I live on the east coast and if this is a way to get in to NFCU without lying I would like to try it out.

At one point they did. Now the question is whether they have recently changed.

People with military fetishes faint at the sight of companies that pander to their proclivities.

This coming from someone who just paid $$ to join the Navy League so they could get into Navylicious??

Are you sure you aren't in the Village People?

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/applications-forms/NFCU97.pdf

In section B, check Association/Community/Company and write San Diego Navy League off to the side. Include a copy of your drivers license and social security, and a screenshot of the email welcoming you to the Navy League San Diego and screenshot of your bank/credit card statement showing the $25 charge you made to join the SD Navy League.

Thank you.

You can try. It's only $25 I think.

CV's attempt doesn't count because he said he's using a San Diego address to join.

Like I told cv91915 to do (until I found out he has a San Diego address he used) try it out and see, and let us know, and it can help put the debate to rest. The thread over on myfico got locked. I'm genuinely curious myself, I got into Navy League a few days before word was going around Navy League started restricting membership.

Edited by PizzaPowerPunch