NFCU is open to everybody!?!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much insight in this thread.    

It would have been better if it had not been posted anywhere.

- rep's for all you rejects.

Posted Images

I had a savings account with USAA and closed it. Unlike NFCU, they have different tiers of membership. They had nothing to offer me. At least with NFCU I am a "full" member and eligible for all of their products.

+1,000 second class status did not offer much.

Here's been my progress so far with applying.

Appd online on Saturday and then emailed supporting docs to membershipdocs@navyfederal.org a few minutes later.

Got an email Monday saying to provide ID and proof of the physical address submitted on the application and to email them to BSADocs@navyfederal.org I'm like WTF, already sent docs, although I noticed this is a different email. Okay fine, email the docs to the new address Monday afternoon. Then today I get an email saying "thank you for your interest in joining NFCU, but before you can become a member with us, we need the attached membership application completed". Another WTF moment. Okay fine. I replied back to that email asking where can I resend all docs and application. I decided to say screw it, I'll stop by a local branch on the way home from work. Go in, got all my stuff, docs, ID, everything. Get the gal in the lobby, told her I'm having some communication issues online with NFCU and I would just like to handle it here. Asked how I was eligible, I said Navy League, and then I get the look from her like I have lobsters coming out of my hears. This isn't looking good. She then says she's new and doesn't know everything yet, so I'm like cool, this will work out. She sends a message to someone and asks me to take a seat. I wait just a few minutes, she calls me and there's a guy with her. He says Navy League? I said yep. He says San Diego? I said yep. He's like okay, no problem, but you can't open in the local branch and then writes down a fax number and the membershipdocs@navyfederal.org address, hands me an application and says to submit it that way. I thanked them and left. Went home, filled out the application and emailed that and supporting docs to the email address I just mentioned. Got a reply saying thanks and they will be in touch.

Here's my advice for anyone else going to apply. Don't do the online app. Print one out, fill it out, get your supporting docs, copy of DL, SS card and a utility bill showing the address you put on the application and send them all to membershipdocs@navyfederal.org

I just might fax them in in the morning when I get to work, just in case. For reference their fax is 703-206-4600.

Appd online on Saturday and then emailed supporting docs to membershipdocs@navyfederal.org a few minutes later.

Got an email Monday saying to provide ID and proof of the physical address submitted on the application and to email them to BSADocs@navyfederal.org I'm like WTF, already sent docs, although I noticed this is a different email. Okay fine, email the docs to the new address Monday afternoon. Then today I get an email saying "thank you for your interest in joining NFCU, but before you can become a member with us, we need the attached membership application completed". Another WTF moment. Okay fine. I replied back to that email asking where can I resend all docs and application. I decided to say screw it, I'll stop by a local branch on the way home from work. Go in, got all my stuff, docs, ID, everything. Get the gal in the lobby, told her I'm having some communication issues online with NFCU and I would just like to handle it here. Asked how I was eligible, I said Navy League, and then I get the look from her like I have lobsters coming out of my hears. This isn't looking good. She then says she's new and doesn't know everything yet, so I'm like cool, this will work out. She sends a message to someone and asks me to take a seat. I wait just a few minutes, she calls me and there's a guy with her. He says Navy League? I said yep. He says San Diego? I said yep. He's like okay, no problem, but you can't open in the local branch and then writes down a fax number and the membershipdocs@navyfederal.org address, hands me an application and says to submit it that way. I thanked them and left. Went home, filled out the application and emailed that and supporting docs to the email address I just mentioned. Got a reply saying thanks and they will be in touch.

Here's my advice for anyone else going to apply. Don't do the online app. Print one out, fill it out, get your supporting docs, copy of DL, SS card and a utility bill showing the address you put on the application and send them all to membershipdocs@navyfederal.org

I just might fax them in in the morning when I get to work, just in case. For reference their fax is 703-206-4600.

That's what i did this morning....faxed NFCU app, SDNL membership docs, DL, SS, and utility bill to 703-206-4600.

It may take a few more days this way since the paperwork has to definitely be handled by a human to process.

Is NFCU requiring your social security card too open account?

I've misplaced mine at the moment (moved recently and its boxed somewhere) :sorry:

Trying to get in before this method is shut down...

In one of the emails I got from them, copy SS card was not asked for. They asked for acceptable identification documents and listed

State issued DL

Military ID

Passport

Permanent resident Alien card

U.S. citizen ID card

Then for proof of address.

Voter card

Paystub dated within the past 2 months

Vehicle registration

Insurance documents

Bank statement

Tax docs

Utility bill

W2 from most recent tax year.

So there ya go, no SS copy asked for. I hope this helps.

I've misplaced mine at the moment (moved recently and its boxed somewhere) :sorry:

Speaking for myself, I filled out the application online, and as proof of identity I sent the drivers license, first and last page of my passport, and my phone bill as proof of address. Along with the welcome email (saved to CutePDF as a pdf file), of course. Emailed all these to the membership_docs address

I did NOT send a copy of my social security card, I have only entered it on the online application

One of my Marines goes belly-up and it involves certain lenders, my orderly will be scrubbing that Marine's blood-laced sh!t off my boots every day and the Marine either pays or GTFO out of my Marine Corps. Even if they get put out, with direct deposit and needing a two to three week lead on changing it, Navy gets at least two paychecks from you.

LOL. Do you even have boots and utilities in your seabag?

Everybody has.

Can't use them in this billet, but they are there, serviceable and still fit.

Will the navy league membership get u into USAA also.

Pops, I was waiting for that one. :rofl:

USAA doesn't allow organizational affiliations outside of the four service branches and, perhaps, Coasties and Public Health Service. That said, their membership pool is infinitely larger than Navy's. All you need pretty much is a family member who's a veteran and you can join.

I had a savings account with USAA and closed it. Unlike NFCU, they have different tiers of membership. They had nothing to offer me. At least with NFCU I am a "full" member and eligible for all of their products.

What if you guys could get first class status? ;)

Edited by PotO

In one of the emails I got from them, copy SS card was not asked for. They asked for acceptable identification documents and listed

Military ID

U.S. citizen ID card

Navy should know better than suggest the first. Title 18, U.S. Code, Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701.

Never heard of the second.

So your branch visit was similar to my own. The difference being that while they were unable to open in the local branch, the did fax the documentation on my behalf.

• Admin

USAA doesn't allow organizational affiliations outside of the four service branches and, perhaps, Coasties and Public Health Service. That said, their membership pool is infinitely larger than Navy's. All you need pretty much is a family member who's a veteran and you can join.

OK, it may have changed, but your family member has to be able to sponsor you, i.e. be a member already. I know I'm getting snail mail and email saying they are now accepting all veterans, and if I know any veterans who aren't members, I should tell them. They keep changing it, I guess. I am a first class member: my Dad was a retired army officer, and I joined while he was still alive and could sponsor me. I still do not have the exact same status my parents had, but I have access to all their products.

I've had some bad experiences with some of their credit analysts while helping Mom with her credit. Mom wouldn't bank with them - she's from the generation where you go to the bank. Your money is there. You don't send your money off somewhere where you can't go get it. :D I never could explain it to her. At any rate, my point is, the bad experiences I had dealing with them on her behalf totally turned me off to banking and credit with them.

I do have my property insurance with them, and they are excellent. Only one bad experience with a snotty "agent" and after she made the second snotty comment I hung up on her. But - I didn't move my insurance because there is no company that can come close to their rates or their service when I've had a claim.

This is probably a stupid question, can I just open a savings account to start or should I do both savings and checking?

Depends, do you want a checking account with them or just a member savings to get you in door? Either will work, except the checking account will have fees unless you direct deposit or do like 20 Visa transactions a month with them. They obviously make their money off you swiping your card. I personally just did savings as I have checking with PenFed and BofA.

I'm too old to do that. Same for NFCU...

App'd membership Friday night got an email I would hear something in 2 business days, TU pull Monday afternoon. No welcome email came. Monday night followed PPP's directions about finding member number and temp password being last 4 of member # and last 4 of SS#. Got my member #, used temp password, logged into my account.

I was able to link other bank accounts and transfer $$ into NFCU, no issue's with anything. Have not app'd any products yet, waiting on some new high limits to post to my reports before apping a CC.

Still have not received a welcome email. I feel so unwelcome...

I kid, glad to be in, without bugging my kid in the AF to join (but I continue to bug him about joining) or bugging my MIL for her Father's records (Ret. AF Colonel WWII 393 BS). I don't like bothering people or feel as if I'm using them to get something even tho I am not, feels weird. So even tho I am eligible to join through other channels, this was easier for me. I do not expect it to last long. I am confident, if questioned about my membership, I will offer up my other avenues of eligibility if I must.

If you have a security hold - can you use the SD Navy League membership to bypass the Bull S***? Does anyone have the email address for the security team that clears account freezes?

If your current application / membership is on a security audit, I don't think NL can help you. I'd wait one way or another a definitive decision has been made. Why is security flagging you?

This is probably a stupid question, can I just open a savings account to start or should I do both savings and checking?

Sure, you can open only a savings account. Not sure if there is any disadvantage to not opening both, though.

Depends, do you want a checking account with them or just a member savings to get you in door? Either will work, except the checking account will have fees unless you direct deposit or do like 20 Visa transactions a month with them. They obviously make their money off you swiping your card. I personally just did savings as I have checking with PenFed and BofA.

Fees? Where? How? I never had any.

Edited by PotO

I'm too old to do that. Same for NFCU...

Not too old. As long as you can hobble and don't need to pee into a bag you are good.

I emailed application on Saturday. Sent DL, SS Card and NL welcome email.

I received a HP on TU this morning but no Navy Fed welcome email.

So, I called in to request status. I was told that my accounts were already set up.

The CSR gave me my access code and offered to walk me through the process of getting online access.

The CSR was very nice, friendly and helpful. A good experience.

OK, it may have changed, but your family member has to be able to sponsor you, i.e. be a member already. I know I'm getting snail mail and email saying they are now accepting all veterans, and if I know any veterans who aren't members, I should tell them. They keep changing it, I guess. I am a first class member: my Dad was a retired army officer, and I joined while he was still alive and could sponsor me. I still do not have the exact same status my parents had, but I have access to all their products.

I've had some bad experiences with some of their credit analysts while helping Mom with her credit. Mom wouldn't bank with them - she's from the generation where you go to the bank. Your money is there. You don't send your money off somewhere where you can't go get it. :D I never could explain it to her. At any rate, my point is, the bad experiences I had dealing with them on her behalf totally turned me off to banking and credit with them.

I do have my property insurance with them, and they are excellent. Only one bad experience with a snotty "agent" and after she made the second snotty comment I hung up on her. But - I didn't move my insurance because there is no company that can come close to their rates or their service when I've had a claim.

Yeah, the military member needs to join first then the family follows. Now it's any honorably discharged vet can join. If you have a subscriber share account (comes from having certain insurance products), you are top tier.

I've never had issues with USAA; they've been great. As you pointed out, however, they can be very inflexible. Sometimes I think they outsource their credit products to US Skank. :)