Sign in to follow this  
Konrad2012

NFCU is open to everybody!?!

I've been looking at this topic for some time, and I think I'm going to join via the NLUS San Diego membership - however, a quick question, is applying by mail mandatory, or can I apply in person at a branch? There are a few not too far from me (including one a block from where I live)

Thanks!

I mean in a non San Diego branch.

I applied via email (no branch anywhere near me).

I get the impression that applying at a branch should go smoothly, but you have to count on someone getting your application submitted correctly. I think we have seen that this doesn't always happen. When you apply by email you get email confirmations which can be helpful during the process.

My FICO is about 550 (I'm just starting my credit journey). I assume I should wait a while before applying for their credit card?

Don't wait .. go for it as instructed in this thread's 1st page. They are friendly and generous than any other banks or CU that can offer someone with low FICO score. Build your credit and start your journey right and NFCU is absolutely the right starting point. Go for it and good luck.

sent from encrypted device

Thank you. I checked the first page of the thread though - and didn't see where anyone got a credit card. Do you recall anyone with a score this low getting one? I'm going to try to wade through the 100 pages to see but thought I'd check and see if anyone recalls.

Edited by Vintagephone

My FICO is about 550 (I'm just starting my credit journey). I assume I should wait a while before applying for their credit card?

Don't wait .. go for it as instructed in this thread's 1st page. They are friendly and generous than any other banks or CU that can offer someone with low FICO score. Build your credit and start your journey right and NFCU is absolutely the right starting point. Go for it and good luck.

Thank you. I checked the first page of the thread though - and didn't see where anyone got a credit card. Do you recall anyone with a score this low getting one? I'm going to try to wade through the 100 pages to see but thought I'd check and see if anyone recalls.

That is a pretty low score and nothing is guaranteed, but there are some reports of credit at NFCU at and below 550.

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?app=creditpulls

Type nfcu into the creditor field and 550 into the score field to see the results.

Edited by mec

That is a pretty low score and nothing is guaranteed, but there are some reports of credit at NFCU at and below 550.

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?app=creditpulls

Type nfcu into the creditor field and 550 into the score field to see the results.

Thank you.

Well .. I would stop worrying about the 550 score and I would pull the trigger along with the wild hair. You have nothing to lose (Its only a HP) if you got approved hooray if not you can always go with the NFCU Secured Credit Card. Just do it Don't be scared or disappointed of your low score :) Earlier of 2016 a homeless man had a better score than mine and i was in the 400s ... today and (in less than a year) i am in mid 600s and still going and improving my overall reports and NFCU offered me their unsecured CC for $16,200 (my 1st CC in yearssssss and the biggest CC i had so far .. Stop worrying and pull the trigger :)

Also this thread by Mendel is VERY helpful and i am personally following it

--> https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=572446&hl=+chase%20+strategy

Edited by Mido

Well .. I would stop worrying about the 550 score and I would pull the trigger along with the wild hair. You have nothing to lose (Its only a HP) if you got approved hooray if not you can always go with the NFCU Secured Credit Card. Just do it Don't be scared or disappointed of your low score :) Earlier of 2016 a homeless man had a better score than mine and i was in the 400s ... today and (in less than a year) i am in mid 600s and still going and improving my overall reports and NFCU offered me their unsecured CC for $16,200 (my 1st CC in yearssssss and the biggest CC i had so far .. Stop worrying and pull the trigger :)

Also this thread by Mendel is VERY helpful and i am personally following it

--> https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=572446&hl=+chase%20+strategy

Thanks! Will do.

I'm debating on trying for a NFCU card. I hear they grant high limits with a decent APR. I've had a checking and savings account with them for quite some time now.

So what about limited credit history? I'm gonna be pulling scores soon once I have a new cap1 card reporting since on credit karma I only get a score on tu... Nothing on eq

Wanted to post an update, joined NFCU about 7 months ago, applied for visa and was barely approved, $500. Asked for a CLI to 10k around the 5 month mark and was approved!

Edit to add ficos in high 600's, BK from 11/2012 and a few other negatives from before then that were not included in BK, no negatives since then.

Edited by qaz123

Please correct if I'm wrong:

- Apply for membership: 1 hard pull

- Apply for a checking or saving account: 1 hard pull

- Apply for a credit card, loan or LoC: 1 hard pull

No hard pull combination is applied.

I think NFCU is too hard pull aggressive.

I joined NL online and chose SD chapter. When I go to print or save as pdf the welcome doc, the format is screwed up. Not sure why my PC is doing that. But my welcome email prints and/or saves as pdf fine. Can I use the welcome email instead? It seems to show basically the same thing as the welcome doc.

Membership, checkings, savings is all included in 1 hard pull

Each additional product is a hard pull. Some people have only received 1 hard pull if they apply for credit products in same day. YMMV

Could anyone confirm SD chapter method is till available? I heard someone complained their application took too long for response.

So what about limited credit history? I'm gonna be pulling scores soon once I have a new cap1 card reporting since on credit karma I only get a score on tu... Nothing on eq

When I got my NFCU CC 2 years ago I had a very thin file 1 old closed card, 1 old closed CC I was an AU on, and 1 new 6 month old card, Fico around 740 and they approved me for $12,000 out of the gate. Needless to say I was happy.

Each additional product is a hard pull. Some people have only received 1 hard pull if they apply for credit products in same day. YMMV

Right and specifically I believe it's TU pulls for the membership/checking/savings. And EQ pulls for any credit product.

Right and specifically I believe it's TU pulls for the membership/checking/savings. And EQ pulls for any credit product.

mendelssohn is about to throw a fistful of his feckies at you.

When I got my NFCU CC 2 years ago I had a very thin file 1 old closed card, 1 old closed CC I was an AU on, and 1 new 6 month old card, Fico around 740 and they approved me for $12,000 out of the gate. Needless to say I was happy.

I don't know what my FICO is yet as both ex and EQ don't have a score from what I can tell. Maybe I'll wait for the cap1 card to report and check it then.

FYI, if you get declined a CLI, from say, $16K and asking for $25K. Go another route. I got a (not instant) decline (due to 3 late pays that are 1.5 years old) and wasted a HP. I did a $2K cli instead a month later and was approved instantly and no HP. I plan to do another CLI of less than $3K in next three months. Take the scenic route for a clear path.

Could anyone confirm SD chapter method is till available? I heard someone complained their application took too long for response.

I applied online on March 6. I called today and tonight my account was opened online.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

I applied online on March 6. I called today and tonight my account was opened online.

Thanks for your data point. It took 2 weeks :(

Yes but they claimed they sent me an email on March 10 requesting my SD membership. I didn't receive it. They resent the email today I replied back with the info and account was opened a few hours later. So I think if you call them after submitting your application it will only take a few days.

Called today and followed up. No issues, got right in! That's the good news. But then I applied for the credit card and was declined. Boo. :-(

Called today and followed up. No issues, got right in! That's the good news. But then I applied for the credit card and was declined. Boo. :-(

What do your cr's and scores look like?