Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

NFCU is open to everybody!?!

I was sent a PM today about a way for basically anybody to gain access to NFCU. I undertook some reconnaissance, called their customer service line and asked some specific questions, and it appears it is a valid option.

1. Join the San Diego council of the Navy League. This costs $25. When you fill out the Navy League application, there is a part that says they will assign you a council membership by zip code unless you otherwise specify a chapter. Specify SAN DIEGO.

2. Print out your SAN DIEGO council Navy League membership docs.

3. Print out an NFCU membership application.

4. Complete printed out NFCU membership application.

5. Scan/email SAN DIEGO council Navy League membership docs, NFCU application, 2 forms of ID and throw in a utility bill for good measure. Email to membershipdocs@navyfederal.org It can also be faxed (I don't have the fax and was driving when I made the phone inquiry). It could also be done in-branch. IT CANNOT BE DONE BY PHONE, AND IT CANNOT BE DONE ONLINE.

CreditHunting brought this to my attention (Oorah) There was a MyFico post involved, but I called and check into the details before I made this post.

We need some guinea pigs. Please post your results.

Edited by Konrad2012

I thought people tried this years ago. I heard about it quite a while back but don't remember what happened.

I read about it also a couple years ago, and people couldn't replicate it. But there's new MF datapoints, and I personally recieved a confirmation today.

If i hadn't been told what I was today, I wouldn't have posted it.

Edited by Konrad2012

In that other thread heg found, it was generally believed that you may be able to get into NFCU with the Navy league, but if your eligibility is ever reviewed, which is common, you're out.

Since that's the case, even if people get in, we won't know the results for a while until we know people aren't getting shut down.

Edited by mendelssohn

In that other thread heg found, it was generally believed that you may be able to get into NFCU with the Navy league, but if your eligibility is ever reviewed, which is common, you're out.

Since that's the case, even if people get in, we won't know the results for a while until we know people aren't getting shut down.

I'd try if NFCU had better cards.

No, a couple people "speculated" that if eligiblity was reviewed, you're out. Some speculation mixed in with memes and BS does not quantify anything in my eyes. No one has shown me a data point that someone who gained entry via the San Diego Council of the Navy League was later discharged.

No, a couple people "speculated" that if eligiblity was reviewed, you're out. Some speculation mixed in with memes and BS does not quantify anything in my eyes. No one has shown me a data point that someone who gained entry via the San Diego Council of the Navy League was later discharged.

God Bless you

a strange PM is no basis for an application. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

a strange PM is no basis for an application. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Supreme executive power derives from men who picked up a rifle and had greater will than their adversaries.

Supreme executive power derives from men who picked up a rifle and had greater will than their adversaries.

“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time.” :grin:

Keep us updated. Wonder what they'll do if they get several new apps using this option.

I'm curious if this "hidden method" is really a way for anyone to join.

From what I read about NFCU, many have joined without their eligibility being verified. The probably get hundreds of new account applications in the mail a day. They may not have resources to verify eligibility of all of them, so they just do a few. Then later on, if someone who has slipped through applies for another product, or through a random verification process, gets verified and they're not eligible, then they're shown the door.

From what I read about NFCU, many have joined without their eligibility being verified. The probably get hundreds of new account applications in the mail a day. They may not have resources to verify eligibility of all of them, so they just do a few. Then later on, if someone who has slipped through applies for another product, or through a random verification process, gets verified and they're not eligible, then they're shown the door.

That was what many thought the last time this was brought up.

There is no real way to know until someone gets the boot I guess.

It may be worth the risk for people who otherwise would never get in to NFCU, BUT I would not recommend that anyone who joins using this method use them for their primary banking institution in case they get the boot.

It may be worth the risk for people who otherwise would never get in to NFCU, BUT I would not recommend that anyone who joins using this method use them for their primary banking institution in case they get the boot.

I want to join and then get kicked out.

I want to join and then get kicked out.

You know you want an $80K card that would be easy for you to get. :P