Wings Financial CU....good, bad, ugly..?

The last post in this topic was posted 1304 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Im halfway thru the membership process, just have to verify i.d. over the phone but my work schedule has been keeping me from connecting the loose ends.

They run a chexsystem and SP EX for membership. Donation to their foundation gets you in.

Im looking at buying a toy and have read some low rates for such toys. And if they pull EX, that is my best score,, 750-ish.

Anybody have any experience with them?

I was referred to them by some off roading buddies that got 2.9% financing on new $20K off road rides with mediocre credit.

8% is usuually the lower tier of financing for these things.

Ive read some not so good reviews on google....but they seem friendly as hell. lol.

https://www.wingsfinancial.com/history

https://www.wingsfinancial.com/boatrvtoyloans

https://www.wingsfinancial.com/visacreditcards NO BT, CA, or AF fees....sweet.

Edited by racer-x

I was referred to them by some off roading buddies that got 2.9% financing on new $20K off road rides with mediocre credit.

That is an unusually low rate. They are treating it like a car loan rather than a recreational vehicle loan.

That is an unusually low rate. They are treating it like a car loan rather than a recreational vehicle loan.

Yup. Hell, my Harley is at 8%, boat at 6.9%.....

Wings may be the next big thing, especially with SP memberships and a VISA siggy with $0 BT fees, $0 annual fees, and $0 cash advance fees (not that i would ever do that, but ya never know).

Wings may be the next big thing, especially with SP memberships and a VISA siggy with $0 BT fees, $0 annual fees, and $0 cash advance fees (not that i would ever do that, but ya never know).

At what rate have you finances your Legos®?

$20k legos? What part of mars are you from? Dumbtune? lol.

$20k legos? What part of mars are you from? Dumbtune? lol.

Someone will be along soon to explain.

I'm in his ignore list, but it does seem like a bad idea to finance everything you own and pay interest.

Personally, I hate having installment payments. We're at 0 auto loans right now and I want to keep it that way.

I'm in his ignore list, but it does seem like a bad idea to finance everything you own and pay interest.

Personally, I hate having installment payments. We're at 0 auto loans right now and I want to keep it that way.

it does seem like a bad idea to finance everything you own and pay interest.

I feel like we don't really own it, until it's paid off. The bank just lets you use it - house, car, RV, whatever.

As it seems to me Wells Fargo owns the house and just lets us live here as long we cut them a check every month. Except that WF have none of the responsibilities of a landlord, but that's why the mortgage payment is so much lower than a market rent payment would be. But when I tell the door-to-door solar salesman, "Sorry, we rent," it's how I rationalize I'm not really lying. :dntknw:

I only buy used cars and haven't had a car payment in over a decade. But I have friends who tell me they have to get a new car because "the one I have now just doesn't say about me what I want to express." And I will say, I enjoy riding in their new cars!

I don't know how I'd feel about financing an RV. Probably too chicken to even get on one to test drive.

But hey, to all those financing their purchases, I say THANK YOU. I appreciate someone giving the bank money to finance these great rewards programs , or in this case, no FTF, no cash adv fee/ no bal xfr fee cards. :ph34r:

+1,000. I have a neighbor who has monthly payments on two cars, a boat, three "skeedos" or whatever they're called, a Harley, and of course his house. OH, and he brags about his timeshare.

it does seem like a bad idea to finance everything you own and pay interest.

I feel like we don't really own it, until it's paid off. The bank just lets you use it - house, car, RV, whatever.

As it seems to me Wells Fargo owns the house and just lets us live here as long we cut them a check every month. Except that WF have none of the responsibilities of a landlord, but that's why the mortgage payment is so much lower than a market rent payment would be. But when I tell the door-to-door solar salesman, "Sorry, we rent," it's how I rationalize I'm not really lying. :dntknw:

I only buy used cars and haven't had a car payment in over a decade. But I have friends who tell me they have to get a new car because "the one I have now just doesn't say about me what I want to express." And I will say, I enjoy riding in their new cars!

I don't know how I'd feel about financing an RV. Probably too chicken to even get on one to test drive.

But hey, to all those financing their purchases, I say THANK YOU. I appreciate someone giving the bank money to finance these great rewards programs , or in this case, no FTF, no cash adv fee/ no bal xfr fee cards. :ph34r:

I'm not sure I have a huge issue with financing one of those things in addition to a mortgage, but when people have auto, RV, boat and motorcycle loans on top of that, I just don't get it. I would never want that many installment accounts.

• 1 year later...

I live in Minnesota and use Wings as my main financial institution, they're incredible! Largest credit union in Minnesota in terms of assets by a landslide

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/subscriber-only/2016/05/20/credit-unions.html

And Wings Financial is one of the top 30 or 40 largest credit unions in the USA and one of the top 200 healthiest credit unions in the nation on DepositAccount.com's list of the Top 200 healthiest US credit unions of 2017

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/health.aspx

Edited by PizzaPowerPunch

Isn't this the former Northwest Airlines CU? I too remember it was previously impossible to get in. Don't really recall any "CB effect" threads, which makes me think there isn't much experience with this particular CU.

They opened their membership up to the entire 13 county Minneapolis/St Paul metro area in 2009. And anyone in the country can join by donating $5 to the Wings Financial foundation (not sure how long donating $5 to the Wings Foundation has been around as a way to become eligible to join, but it is so it's a credit union that anyone can join)

The last post in this topic was posted 1304 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.