Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

100K Amex Platinum Signup Bonus!

The last post in this topic was posted 1581 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Other than the 75k MR and the $200x2 AFC, what other benefits of the Merc Pt can compensate for the $495 AF?

How about meeting min spend, banking 100K, getting a $200 travel credit, then cancelling and getting the AF refunded?

If you want to keep it, all standard Pt bennies apply.

Can you sell the $1k Merc certificate?

Other than the 75k MR and the $200x2 AFC, what other benefits of the Merc Pt can compensate for the $495 AF?

Are you asking about the Merc Pt specifically, or Platinums in general?

The Merc card comes with a $100 certificate annually I believe that you can use on buying a couple of keychains or a hat or something at a dealership.

Platinum cards in general come with a host of benefits. You get Centurion Lounge access, Delta Sky Club access when flying Delta, Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts (guaranteed noon check-in, guaranteed 4pm check-out, breakfast for 2 daily, resort credit of some sort valued around $100 -- all those benefits apply even if you only have a 1-night stay and can sometimes really present fantastic value). I think the Platinum concierge is underrated. I broke my luggage and wanted to know if I could get a specific brand/type of bag at the duty free in Cairo Airport in Egypt at the terminal I was arriving at and I emailed the Platinum concierge and they called for me to check it out. They also produce decent city guides and can sometimes get reservations at hard-to-get restaurants. You get automatic Hilton Gold status (free breakfast at Hiltons/Conrads/Doubletrees/Garden Inns), Starwood Gold.......quite a few decent perks that, in my opinion, make up for the difference between AF and the credits.

That said, Konrad's pump-and-dump is certainly a fine strategy if you don't value the benefits.

I got the regular Pt today at 100k. I was thinking about the Merc Pt at 75k. I don't need the $1000 Merc certificate or the $100 Merc merchandise certificate. I was wondering if there is a market to sell them and if they are transferrable.

I was going to keep the Pt and 2x the $200 AFC making the AF $95. I'm a bit leary of the slash and burn, cancelling the card as soon as the points post.

Edited by sedge

On top of what TheScholar posted, you also get a $200 airline fee credit and access to Amex The Hotel Collection.

With the Centurion Lounge access, locations are limited, BUT if you have one in your home airport, it may be worth it for you. The food and drinks are a step above other domestic airline lounges. Your Platinum card gets you and your immediate family or 2 guests access. The airline lounge access alone is well worth the AF if you have access to a Centurion Lounge.

The Platinum cards are for travelers who enjoy the perks and benefits. If this isn't you, it's a pump and dump.

Isn't Pump and dump bad for internals and looks bad on your report?

I'm not a fan of it myself.

Me neither. I don't think it's something that should be discussed "just because it's an option"

DDF has a lot of members who do the P&D, but they are only causing damage to themselves.

They are thinking short term instead of the long term.

Me neither. I don't think it's something that should be discussed "just because it's an option"

DDF has a lot of members who do the P&D, but they are only causing damage to themselves.

I've tried to explain that over there at times, but there's no point.

I've tried to explain that over there at times, but there's no point.

Not sure why Konrad is suggesting this...

How about meeting min spend, banking 100K, getting a $200 travel credit, then cancelling and getting the AF refunded?

If you want to keep it, all standard Pt bennies apply.

Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed, or that it's not a viable option.

Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed, or that it's not a viable option.

Would you personally do it?

Because you can't keep them all, and $450 is a hefty AF x2.

DDF regulars seem to encourage it and they wonder why they are getting shut down. :grin:

DDF regulars seem to encourage it and they wonder why they are getting shut down. :grin:

I personally don't recommend it on a regular basis, but you have to admit that if you were going to eat more than 1 $450 AF that you would probably do the same thing.

I personally don't recommend it on a regular basis, but you have to admit that if you were going to eat more than 1 $450 AF that you would probably do the same thing.

I would probably just eat it. I take my credit health very seriously and my points/miles not so much.

Probably the reason I'm credit rich and miles poor. :wave:

I would probably just eat it. I take my credit health very seriously and my points/miles not so much.

Everyone has to decide for themselves. I'm in the middle, but now that I am points and miles rich, I am being more conservative with the issuers that I care about.

Everyone has to decide for themselves. I'm in the middle, but now that I am points and miles rich, I am being more conservative with the issuers that I care about.

+1

Would you personally do it?

I am going to pump and dump my wifes Pt and MBZ.

I am dumping my pers Pt, 1 Biz Pt, 1 BGR, 1 Biz SPG.

You guys are oversimplifying the DDF stuff. Some of them have 50 AU's/each on their AMEX cards. Lots more factors than just a bonus churn.

I'm not a pump-and-dump user myself, but I'm certainly not offended by discussion of it. Some folks get hammered and drive the wrong way on the highway and kill a family of 7, but I don't think we need to eliminate discussion of beer. Plenty of folks can enjoy a cold one or two now and then without ruining their lives. If someone got all the way to this thread, they likely understand not to drink a case of beer and a handle of gin before hopping behind the wheel.

Since this was dead by the time I tried it yesterday, and I was looking for another MR card for my wife so I could close her year old BRG, I grabbed a Green card after finally getting a 25k offer to show up.

I'll hit this quicker next time it pops up.

You'd probably suffer from analysis/decision paralysissi it wouldn't even be a choice for you.

Ever read the Centipede's Dilemma?

A centipede was happy quite!

Until a toad in fun

Said, "Pray, which leg moves after which?"

This raised her doubts to such a pitch,

She fell exhausted in the ditch

Not knowing how to run.

Edited by Konrad2012

You'd probably suffer from analysis/decision paralysissi it wouldn't even be a choice for you.

Except I would be making my own decision based on preference.

Apped two days ago and it went to "processing". Just got email that it was approved. Approved for the Benzo Pt two weeks ago and frankly did not think I would get approved for this.

Apped two days ago and it went to "processing". Just got email that it was approved. Approved for the Benzo Pt two weeks ago and frankly did not think I would get approved for this.

181,000 MR's. Kongrats

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    CEOMoney
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines