Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

First UnionPay credit card issued by Chinese bank in the US

http://www.icbc-us.com/ICBC/海外分行/工银美国网站/EN/ProductsServices/Creditcard/Browsecreditcards/

Now the link says "available in July"

Let's cross our fingers and hope anyone can apply.

Better to hope the annual fee won't be $500. ;)

I noticed at least the first set of two cards includes a Visa Signature. In China ICBC -- as well as other Chinese banks -- tend to charge an AF of approximately $450. With crappy benefits.

http://www.unionpayintl.com/en/enaboutUpi/ennewsCenter/encompanyNews/3010635.shtml

"The UnionPay credit cards issued this time include “Preferred cards” and “Premier cards”. The former is exempted from annual fees and offers cashbacks. The latter offers more cashbacksand more considerate VIP services."

That's what I figured. :)

It will be interesting to see their version of cashback. I already know their idea of VIP services ...

1. A slightly larger yet barely cleaner urinal to use at the airport;

2. Going to the head of a three hour line at the bank so you only have to wait 2.75 hours;

3. A magazine once a quarter;

4. A special customer service hotline answered 5 minutes faster than the normal hotline, but only after listening to five minutes of advertising;

5. A higher credit limit ... then almost nobody else.

There's a reason why ICBC's nickname in Chinese translates to "We are ICBC and we don't give a flying fukk if you deposit in our bank or not." :)

I was purchasing MO's at Walmart yesterday and saw that they take UnionPay.

Imagine if Walmart cut a deal with UnionPay for a WallyWorld card. That would be serious, fast market penetration. Not that it will happen, but it sure would be a big Freedom Unlimited to Visa.

It would be huge, but I don't see Chinese flocking to WallyWorld, even in Rowland Heights. The primary target audience for ICBC cards in the US is the diaspora, followed by US businessmen with ties to China as a far, far secondary market.

I'm interested in UnionPay's policy of Total Liability. In a nutshell, with UP, if there are fraudulent charges on your card, you generally eat them. And chargebacks? :rofl:

Anyhow, I'm in line to GP this when its released.

In true China style customer service, I emailed ICBC-USA (In Chinese) about applying for their new US-ICBC unionpay card and they said "ICBC USA currently don't have unionpay credit cards." I guess even the staff don't know what's going on.

Could be not many know. Or you emailed the wrong branch. Or your Chinese was terrible. Or they did give the correct answer that it's not available yet. :)

http://www.icbc-us.com/ICBC/海外分行/工银美国网站/EN/ProductsServices/Creditcard/Browsecreditcards/

Now the link says "available in July"

Let's cross our fingers and hope anyone can apply.

Better to hope the annual fee won't be $500. ;)

I noticed at least the first set of two cards includes a Visa Signature. In China ICBC -- as well as other Chinese banks -- tend to charge an AF of approximately $450. With crappy benefits.

http://www.unionpayintl.com/en/enaboutUpi/ennewsCenter/encompanyNews/3010635.shtml

"The UnionPay credit cards issued this time include “Preferred cards” and “Premier cards”. The former is exempted from annual fees and offers cashbacks. The latter offers more cashbacksand more considerate VIP services."

That's what I figured. :)

It will be interesting to see their version of cashback. I already know their idea of VIP services ...

1. A slightly larger yet barely cleaner urinal to use at the airport;

2. Going to the head of a three hour line at the bank so you only have to wait 2.75 hours;

3. A magazine once a quarter;

4. A special customer service hotline answered 5 minutes faster than the normal hotline, but only after listening to five minutes of advertising;

5. A higher credit limit ... then almost nobody else.

There's a reason why ICBC's nickname in Chinese translates to "We are ICBC and we don't give a flying fukk if you deposit in our bank or not." :)

Imagine if Walmart cut a deal with UnionPay for a WallyWorld card. That would be serious, fast market penetration. Not that it will happen, but it sure would be a big Freedom Unlimited to Visa.

It would be huge, but I don't see Chinese flocking to WallyWorld, even in Rowland Heights. The primary target audience for ICBC cards in the US is the diaspora, followed by US businessmen with ties to China as a far, far secondary market.

I'm interested in UnionPay's policy of Total Liability. In a nutshell, with UP, if there are fraudulent charges on your card, you generally eat them. And chargebacks? :rofl:

Anyhow, I'm in line to GP this when its released.

In true China style customer service, I emailed ICBC-USA (In Chinese) about applying for their new US-ICBC unionpay card and they said "ICBC USA currently don't have unionpay credit cards." I guess even the staff don't know what's going on.

Could be not many know. Or you emailed the wrong branch. Or your Chinese was terrible. Or they did give the correct answer that it's not available yet. :)

I used the ICBC US Contact us page. Tomorrow is July 1st, Let's all check back and see if apps are open then.

^^^

I'd be surprised if it was available on July 1. At the earliest I'd say after 4th of July holiday and even that is pushing it.

But we will see.

I will be in Shanghai in October. If this card does become available this month, I'll apply. I'm thinking we need to have a banking relationship with ICBC first. If that's the case, I'll feel kind of odd going to a branch in L.A. and asking for a checking account. I know no Chinese.

Edited by Burgerwars

I will be in Shanghai in October. If this card does become available this month, I'll apply. I'm thinking we need to have a banking relationship with ICBC first. If that's the case, I'll feel kind of odd going to a branch in L.A. and asking for a checking account. I know no Chinese.

I know some Cantonese!!

Joh-sun (good morning)

Do-jeh (gracias)

Ngo xeurng fong hay yup bin goh look sik tung (I want to put this in the compost bin)

They speak English. Don't worry.

Interesting idea, though, about the possibility they will require an established banking relationship first. Is there a way to open a checking account or savings account online? If not, I need to find a back door.

I know some Cantonese!!

Joh-sun (good morning)

Do-jeh (gracias)

Ngo xeurng fong hay yup bin goh look sik tung (I want to put this in the compost bin)

Gross (gross)

I know some Cantonese!!

Joh-sun (good morning)

Do-jeh (gracias)

You missed all the good stuff.

Poke guy.

Sic sea oh fon.

Hom ga chod.

Chee seen.

Oom goy.

I'm not good in the phonetic alphabet for Cantonese, only Mandarin. But the above is how to pronounce the most useful words in Cantonese. I'll wait to see if anybody can guess what it means before I post the meanings. :)

Oh... so "poke guy" wasn't English?

It's the English pronunciation of 扑街. The literal meaning is akin to "go fall down in the street," but, in fact, it's one of the worst -- and most common -- insults in Cantonese.

It's the English pronunciation of 扑街. The literal meaning is akin to "go fall down in the street," but, in fact, it's one of the worst -- and most common -- insults in Cantonese.

I fell down, on the floor... should I feel insulted?

No. Doesn't work like that. :)

The issue is when someone Chinese tells you, "Go fall down in the street!"

It's the Cantonese equivalent to Freedom Unlimited and die.

Good to know, for future reference :D

Interesting idea, though, about the possibility they will require an established banking relationship first. Is there a way to open a checking account or savings account online? If not, I need to find a back door.

It's just my thought. There are other banks that have customer requirements. One West Bank requires credit card applicants to be banking customers for at least one year.

I don't see online apping for ICBC. It would make things easier.

So if I walk up to someone I don't know on the street in Shanghai and yell "poke guy!" I better be prepared to fight?

So if I walk up to someone I don't know on the street in Shanghai and yell "poke guy!" I better be prepared to fight?

Nobody will understand in Shanghai. They speak either Mandarin or their own Shanghai dialect.

But in Guangzhou, if you do that prepare to get stabbed. :)

In Shanghai you can try these three:

1. Knee ma duh

2. Shah bee

3. Cho B

It's just my thought. There are other banks that have customer requirements. One West Bank requires credit card applicants to be banking customers for at least one year.

I don't see online apping for ICBC. It would make things easier.

You could be right.

But one way or another I'm getting me one. :)

Yes, but I just can't even begin to imagine those nude photos required as collateral :grin:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/16/loan-sharks-in-china-offer-student-loans-for-nude-photos-giving-new-meaning-to-naked-greed/

Yes, but I just can't even begin to imagine those nude photos required as collateral :grin:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/16/loan-sharks-in-china-offer-student-loans-for-nude-photos-giving-new-meaning-to-naked-greed/

Yeah, pretty slimy, but definitely not a surprise in China.

Loan sharks here don't need to break your legs. Instead they drive you to suicide by plastering your nude photos all over the campus. On the other hand, banks drive you to suicide by publishing lists of deadbeat debtors in the newspapers, sending police to your home and workplace and putting life-threatening pressure on your elderly parents and other family.

There was a time when banks handed out credit cards like candy on every college campus, but the Central Bank put a stop to that. Loan sharks stepped in to fill the void.

One West offered me a Lakers CC the day i opened my bank account.

That bank is completely worthless. They put 7 business day holds on any amount of my check deposits over $4K. Sucks to, because their bill pay is run by Metavante and clears certain creditors much faster than BofA and other institutions that run CFP on their backends.

One West offered me a Lakers CC the day i opened my bank account.

That bank is completely worthless. They put 7 business day holds on any amount of my check deposits over $4K. Sucks to, because their bill pay is run by Metavante and clears certain creditors much faster than BofA and other institutions that run CFP on their backends.

Do you know who runs the bill pay for Navy? I'm sure it's the same people who run USAA and Discover, just not sure who they are.

Welcome to ICBC's brand new credit card series!

creditcards.gif

We are very excited to bring you our brand new series of credit cards, available in July.