Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

First UnionPay credit card issued by Chinese bank in the US

I am within minutes of two of their branches if i can help with anything let me know.

Which one? I'll be in NYC soon.

I am within minutes of two of their branches if i can help with anything let me know.

Go in and ask them for an app. :)

Roger That report back Monday

Please ask for three. I'll buy two from you and gift one of those to Hege.

Please ask for three. I'll buy two from you and gift one of those to Hege.

lol No Charge if they don't give them to me I am sending a Asian in :ph34r:

Just got a message from my account manager. They are going to start online applications "soon". Last time she told me something was going to happen soon it took 1/2 a year.

Just got a message from my account manager. They are going to start online applications "soon". Last time she told me something was going to happen soon it took 1/2 a year.

And this will be public to all of the US?

I wonder if I'll be denied for having a JCB card?

Count on it.

:rofl:

And this will be public to all of the US?

I'm not sure if there will be footprint criteria or not. My account manager is in Beijing so not even sure she'd understand that concept.

If they have a footprint exclusion, I'll deal with it. Unless there is an AF, I plan on getting this card one way or another. Heck, if there's an AF I'll still get it and work on getting the AF removed.

Industrial and Commercial Bank of China USA, has not started issuing credit cards in the US yet. I was told that late in the third quarter of 2016 they will begin issuing them verified by two other branches.

Industrial and Commercial Bank of China USA, has not started issuing credit cards in the US yet. I was told that late in the third quarter of 2016 they will begin issuing them verified by two other branches.

We will be patiently waiting. :)

How is this better than Discover?

Wrong question.

How can this be WORSE than Disco?

Cannot be. Ever.

How is this better than Discover?

Wrong question.

How can this be WORSE than Disco?

Cannot be. Ever.

Oddball status winner for when you pay "whoever has the most esoteric credit card doesn't pay for drinks"

I usually do well with JCB, but a Union Pay would be stellar.

^^

That's a key advantage! :)

Other advantages include:

IME ...

1. ICBC is good with credit limits;

2. No AF or, if so, easy AF avoidance;

3. Good customer service;

4. Doesn't nickel and dime you with fees;

5. Great with disputes / chargebacks;

6. Superb online banking; and

7. Not paranoid / no AA.

My only concern is that they will outsource account management and customer service. ICBC bought Bank of East Asia's US operations and I wonder if BEA legacy staff will run things. BEA has to be the sh!ttiest bank on the planet -- worse than Disco.

http://www.icbc-us.com/ICBC/海外分行/工银美国网站/EN/ProductsServices/Creditcard/Browsecreditcards/

Now the link says "available in July"

Let's cross our fingers and hope anyone can apply.

Better to hope the annual fee won't be $500. ;)

I noticed at least the first set of two cards includes a Visa Signature. In China ICBC -- as well as other Chinese banks -- tend to charge an AF of approximately $450. With crappy benefits.

http://www.icbc-us.com/ICBC/海外分行/工银美国网站/EN/ProductsServices/Creditcard/Browsecreditcards/

I noticed at least the first set of two cards includes a Visa Signature. In China ICBC -- as well as other Chinese banks -- tend to charge an AF of approximately $450. With crappy benefits.

http://www.unionpayintl.com/en/enaboutUpi/ennewsCenter/encompanyNews/3010635.shtml

"The UnionPay credit cards issued this time include “Preferred cards” and “Premier cards”. The former is exempted from annual fees and offers cashbacks. The latter offers more cashbacksand more considerate VIP services."

I was purchasing MO's at Walmart yesterday and saw that they take UnionPay.

Imagine if Walmart cut a deal with UnionPay for a WallyWorld card. That would be serious, fast market penetration. Not that it will happen, but it sure would be a big Freedom Unlimited to Visa.

http://www.unionpayintl.com/en/enaboutUpi/ennewsCenter/encompanyNews/3010635.shtml

"The UnionPay credit cards issued this time include “Preferred cards” and “Premier cards”. The former is exempted from annual fees and offers cashbacks. The latter offers more cashbacksand more considerate VIP services."

That's what I figured. :)

It will be interesting to see their version of cashback. I already know their idea of VIP services ...

1. A slightly larger yet barely cleaner urinal to use at the airport;

2. Going to the head of a three hour line at the bank so you only have to wait 2.75 hours;

3. A magazine once a quarter;

4. A special customer service hotline answered 5 minutes faster than the normal hotline, but only after listening to five minutes of advertising;

5. A higher credit limit ... then almost nobody else.

There's a reason why ICBC's nickname in Chinese translates to "We are ICBC and we don't give a flying fukk if you deposit in our bank or not." :)

Imagine if Walmart cut a deal with UnionPay for a WallyWorld card. That would be serious, fast market penetration. Not that it will happen, but it sure would be a big Freedom Unlimited to Visa.

It would be huge, but I don't see Chinese flocking to WallyWorld, even in Rowland Heights. The primary target audience for ICBC cards in the US is the diaspora, followed by US businessmen with ties to China as a far, far secondary market.

I'm interested in UnionPay's policy of Total Liability. In a nutshell, with UP, if there are fraudulent charges on your card, you generally eat them. And chargebacks? :rofl:

Anyhow, I'm in line to GP this when its released.

That's what I figured. :)

It will be interesting to see their version of cashback. I already know their idea of VIP services ...

1. A slightly larger yet barely cleaner urinal to use at the airport;

2. Going to the head of a three hour line at the bank so you only have to wait 2.75 hours;

3. A magazine once a quarter;

4. A special customer service hotline answered 5 minutes faster than the normal hotline, but only after listening to five minutes of advertising;

5. A higher credit limit ... then almost nobody else.

There's a reason why ICBC's nickname in Chinese translates to "We are ICBC and we don't give a flying fukk if you deposit in our bank or not." :)

It would be huge, but I don't see Chinese flocking to WallyWorld, even in Rowland Heights. The primary target audience for ICBC cards in the US is the diaspora, followed by US businessmen with ties to China as a far, far secondary market.

I'm interested in UnionPay's policy of Total Liability. In a nutshell, with UP, if there are fraudulent charges on your card, you generally eat them. And chargebacks? :rofl:

Anyhow, I'm in line to GP this when its released.

In true China style customer service, I emailed ICBC-USA (In Chinese) about applying for their new US-ICBC unionpay card and they said "ICBC USA currently don't have unionpay credit cards." I guess even the staff don't know what's going on.