Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

First UnionPay credit card issued by Chinese bank in the US

On 1/14/2018 at 9:41 AM, hegemony said:

so... PotO or someone else... for the CLI you called? I can't seem to find a magic button in the terrible online account management. TIA

Sending you a PM.

Kyoshilabs wrote:

My Dad and I didn't get approved.
His Experian score is 818 paid his credit on time for 30 years never missed a payment. Mine is around 785 and is also paid on time. What are they using to approve a union pay card?

I never seen a Chinese bank ask so many questions, they even given us a call after my dad turned in his application asking us if the house is owned. My parents have multiple account there with large amounts. Again I don't want to say too much online. Other banks like American Express  was approved without any problems and it was done all online. This ICBC bank is such a pain the ass.

Here is the attached Pdf of the application and the online secret link. Save you the trouble for going in and picking one up. Hell they don't even offer a pdf downloadable version

https://icbc-uscards.com/#!/?product=preferredunionpay&origin=00002
https://docdro.id/wjwoDtA

Edit: reading that union pay offers two different kind of cards I guess it's being Rejected in china, I guess it's not a total loss.

I would like to know what other ways I can pay in china. Bring cash? I heard wechat is being used, how can I pay?

Thanks

First of all, none of the ICBC USA cards are decided in China.  Everything is done through their offices in NYC.

Credit score doesn't mean squat.  What was on his credit report and yours?  There's something they didn't like.  Mine were approved with a boatload of INQs and new accounts.  What reason(s) did they give for not approving yours?

Normal US Visa, MasterCard or American Express cards are not generally welcome in China unless you are in a hotel or tourist area.  If the area is frequented by tourists or foreigners, you might be ok.  Otherwise, you are SOL.  WeChat will not help you unless you have a local credit card or debit card to link to it.   

That leaves you two options:

1.  Cold, hard cash;

2.  Discover Card.

Discover will clear over the UnionPay network as though it were a local card.  The only problem you will have, though, is merchants too stupid or cheap to upgrade their POS machines from the old style that doesn't handle EMV chips very well.  So, even though you bring Discover, also bring cash.  

On 1/14/2018 at 9:41 AM, hegemony said:

so... PotO or someone else... for the CLI you called? I can't seem to find a magic button in the terrible online account management. TIA

Hege, I seem to have CRS.  Did I PM you?

For a CLI you can call the number on the back of the card.  That will ring in China and answered by these nice Chinese people who speak English, but don't.  Tell them you need a CLI and they will take down your data and forward it to NYC, who, after a few days, will pull your credit report and increase your limit.  

Remember, their global max exposure is $30k.  Shoot for the moon!  

Before I even applied for the ICBC USA UnionPay card (I also opened a checking account a few months later at their San Francisco/Chinatown branch) I visited the Shanghai area for about a week. There's no problem with U.S. Visa, MasterCard and debit card acceptance there. I also withdrew Chinese currency from ATMs. You won't be living on the streets if you only have these. 

I haven't visited China since getting the UnionPay card. I've used it here many times for small purchases and pay it off by online transfers from my ICBC USA checking account. It's peculiar when needing to swipe or inserting the chip. Most of the time after inserting the chip I'm told to swipe. It's PIN is six digits, and I've needed to use that at McDonald's. At a couple places the card just won't work, so bring other cards as backups.

28 minutes ago, Burgerwars said:

Before I even applied for the ICBC USA UnionPay card (I also opened a checking account a few months later at their San Francisco/Chinatown branch) I visited the Shanghai area for about a week. There's no problem with U.S. Visa, MasterCard and debit card acceptance there. I also withdrew Chinese currency from ATMs. You won't be living on the streets if you only have these. 

I haven't visited China since getting the UnionPay card. I've used it here many times for small purchases and pay it off by online transfers from my ICBC USA checking account. It's peculiar when needing to swipe or inserting the chip. Most of the time after inserting the chip I'm told to swipe. It's PIN is six digits, and I've needed to use that at McDonald's. At a couple places the card just won't work, so bring other cards as backups.

I've never been had to swipe my ICBC card unless the POS was not chip enabled.  Other than an ATM, I've never had to use my PIN.  

In Shanghai when you get into the middle class or lower middle class neighborhoods there are many places that will not accept Visa or MC.  When you get into second and third tier cities it's worse.  

But there is always Disco.   🤣

3 hours ago, PotO said:

I've never been had to swipe my ICBC card unless the POS was not chip enabled.  Other than an ATM, I've never had to use my PIN.  

In Shanghai when you get into the middle class or lower middle class neighborhoods there are many places that will not accept Visa or MC.  When you get into second and third tier cities it's worse.  

But there is always Disco.   🤣

I swipe mine at my vet's office all the time.

I found this string of posts on the acceptance of the UnionPay US card in China. When I was in Shanghai I stayed at the Sofitel in Nanjing Road. Across the street was an ICBC branch (there are many in Shanghai). I used my Wells Fargo debit card there to get cash several times. The good part about their ATMs is you can shut and lock a door to each ATM. More privacy. Shanghai isn't unsafe but there were plenty of scammers on the street approaching me, especially on Nanjing Road and The Bund. I got tired of saying "I don't need a massage." 

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1823356-icbc-us-union-pay-credit-card-experience.html

Edited by Burgerwars

8 hours ago, hegemony said:

I swipe mine at my vet's office all the time.

Your Disco?  😱

Is the POS chip enabled?

3 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

I found this string of posts on the acceptance of the UnionPay US card in China. When I was in Shanghai I stayed at the Sofitel in Nanjing Road. Across the street was an ICBC branch (there are many in Shanghai). I used my Wells Fargo debit card there to get cash several times. The good part about their ATMs is you can shut and lock a door to each ATM. More privacy. Shanghai isn't unsafe but there were plenty of scammers on the street approaching me, especially on Nanjing Road and The Bund. I got tired of saying "I don't need a massage." 

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1823356-icbc-us-union-pay-credit-card-experience.html

Yeah, I avoid The Bund and Nanjing Rd.  And not just because of the locals.

I read halfway through that FT thread and it certainly reinforced my belief that Neanderthals still exist.  First of all, HK is not China.  People still haven't grasped that what "One Country, Two Systems" really means is "One Country, Two Planets".   There's a certain word that aptly applies to most everything in HK, but I'm forbidden to use that word here lest snowflakes go postal.  Let's just say HK is "unique". ;)

Half the time my HK credit card won't work.  Many merchants have a bank of two, three or even four POS machines at point of payment and they get confused by simple non-events such as eye color or how well you can insult them in Cantonese.  Then there are the Einsteins that want to simplify life.  "Simplify" in Chinese is an euphemism for "cheap bastard".  They buy the $9.99 four-in-one POS machines made in glorious Fujian where not only is quality job zero, but the entire product was engineered by a troupe of circus clowns circa 1970.  

I use my ICBC card at least 6 times a day and have never had issues.  Most of the time I use the NFC function.  

I do wish AliPay and WeChat would get their act together, but that's a different battle.  

Sorry about the last post I got the wrong letter concerning about the declines in credit card for ICBC and would like to make a correction.

It did get approved and I got my card today including my father. Thank you for the alternative suggestion in bringing cash to china

Also my Credit Score is 756 my father is 818 if that is anyhelp, took aprox 3 weeks for it to come.

9 hours ago, kyoshilabs said:

Sorry about the last post I got the wrong letter concerning about the declines in credit card for ICBC and would like to make a correction.

It did get approved and I got my card today including my father. Thank you for the alternative suggestion in bringing cash to china

Also my Credit Score is 756 my father is 818 if that is anyhelp, took aprox 3 weeks for it to come.

Congrats to you both!

Which discover card here in so cal I can apply that works without any problems in china and can be added into wechat?

I also heard you can signup for quickup that works in china?

IMG_0416.png

Edited by kyoshilabs

51 minutes ago, kyoshilabs said:

Which discover card here in so cal I can apply that works without any problems in china and can be added into wechat?

I also heard you can signup for quickup that works in china?

IMG_0416.png

You are wasting your time with WeChat.  You can add a US credit card, including Discover, but it will NEVER allow you to pay with that card in China.  Never.  Ever.  

I told you before and you aren't listening. You ONLY have two options:

Cash

Physical credit card.  Either Discover or your new ICBC UnionPay.  

You are wasting everybody's time dealing with WeChat. 

Ok sorry, not my intention was just hopeful.

SIgned up for a discover card so my backup alternatives in case in china

1) Cash

2) ICBC Union Pay

3) Discover

4) Wells Fargo Visa Debit

5) Have someone send me money to wechat lol

33 minutes ago, kyoshilabs said:

Ok sorry, not my intention was just hopeful.

SIgned up for a discover card so my backup alternatives in case in china

1) Cash

2) ICBC Union Pay

3) Discover

4) Wells Fargo Visa Debit

5) Have someone send me money to wechat lol

Your ICBC UnionPay card will do just fine.  Discover would be a backup plan.  

13 hours ago, PotO said:

Your ICBC UnionPay card will do just fine.  Discover would be a stupid plan.  

FTFY

14 hours ago, PotO said:

Your ICBC UnionPay card will do just fine.  Discover would be a backup stupid plan.  

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

FTFY

🤣

Oh, Jeebus ...

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

... one for each of the nine lives.  🤣

Edited by PotO

ICBC USA still isn't on applepay. I'm surprised since I've read so much about mobile payments dominating the payment industry in the PRC.

3 hours ago, hegemony said:

ICBC USA still isn't on applepay. I'm surprised since I've read so much about mobile payments dominating the payment industry in the PRC.

That is weird.  I can use my Chinese ICBC cards on ApplePay, but not my US ones.  Weird, indeed.