hegemony

First UnionPay credit card issued by Chinese bank in the US

One thing I'm thinking of if ICBC USA is issuing this card, you need to be a banking customer first. They have 13 U.S. branches. 10 in the Los Angeles and San Francisco areas and 3 in New York City. I live in the San Fernando Valley, but it is a drive to the nearest branch. The website says to apply in person. I won't bother.

Edited by Burgerwars

There is a link online in Mandarin and you have to pick the card up in person at a branch. Great excuse for a trip!

There is a link online in Mandarin and you have to pick the card up in person at a branch. Great excuse for a trip!

This takes getting Shanghai'd to a whole new level!

I'll be getting this card in a few days. My ICBC account manager in Beijing is getting it for me. They have UnionPay and also Visa.

But the rewards suck. Any there could be an AF.

Edited by PotO

That's for the cards issued by ICBC China.

Even though the page says ICBC-US, they just regurgitate the mainland China card site.

This takes getting Shanghai'd to a whole new level!

NYC branch

Well, my account manager gave me the details.

Here is the exact translation:

"I'm sorry, the new ICBC USA credit card is only open to certain invited customers, but not the general public. Even if invited, application must be made in person at an ICBC branch in the US."

Now here's the *real* meaning of what I was told:

"I'm sorry, the new ICBC credit card is only available to Chinese. Period. If you go to a branch they will politely tell you to FOAD."

Now, the question is, is it worth cracking this nut?

"I'm sorry, the new ICBC USA credit card is only open to certain invited customers, but not the general public. Even if invited, application must be made in person at an ICBC branch in the US."

"I'm sorry, the new ICBC credit card is only available to Chinese. Period. If you go to a branch they will politely tell you to FOAD."

if denied it sounds like a great case

if denied it sounds like a great case

A slam dunk. They would lose soooooooo bad.

I already have a few ICBC credit cards issued on the Mainland. They should know better by now.

Yeah. Quite a few banks in Asia issue UnionPay cards. But in each country acceptance is still hit or miss. The good thing about the US is that UnionPay runs on the Discover network.

UnionPay as a card association is sh!t. They tend to have sh!tty products / rewards. And they are racist ba$tard$ -- as are the overwhelming majority of Chinese banks. I'm fixing to LART UnionPay yet again as they never learn.

The only reason I want the ICBC US card is to get it reporting on my credit reports with a good limit.

Edited by PotO

If this is their U.S. bank subsidiary, can they legally exclude ethnic groups?

It would be top news if any other bank announced that "whites (or another race) are only eligible to apply for their credit cards."

It would be top news if any other bank announced that "whites (or another race) are only eligible to apply for their credit cards."

Yup...if they have a physical branch anywhere in the United States, they are subject to US laws. Go ahead and app, and if they reject you for not being Chinese or whatever, then CHA-CHING!!! LAWSUIT!!!

Yup...if they have a physical branch anywhere in the United States, they are subject to US laws. Go ahead and app, and if they reject you for not being Chinese or whatever, then CHA-CHING!!! LAWSUIT!!!

Exactly.

The trick here is finding an application. They say that for now applications are by invitation only.

I do believe that they will open up in the future. They just bought all the Bank of East Asia branches throughout the USA. Sooner or later they have to start getting into the CC business. Maybe now is just their first step.

On the Mainland, ICBC is THE market leader. Also, at first they tried the "Chinese only" crap, but after getting a phone pole shoved up their flowers they quickly saw the light.

I'm not in the US now.

If they don't open apps up soon, when I'm home on leave we can go in and visit them.

Better not to bring translator. Let them struggle to use English. They will talk amongst themselves in Chinese and I'll understand everything they say. They will be shocked I understand and we will have caught them incriminating themselves. "When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow." Never fails.

I'm not in the US now.

If they don't open apps up soon, when I'm home on leave we can go in and visit them.

Better not to bring translator. Let them struggle to use English. They will talk amongst themselves in Chinese and I'll understand everything they say. They will be shocked I understand and we will have caught them incriminating themselves. "When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow." Never fails.

Yup...and if you happen to have "accidentally" turned on the voice recorder app in your smartphone, so much the better. :grin:

I'm not in the US now.

Yup...and if you happen to have "accidentally" turned on the voice recorder app in your smartphone, so much the better. :grin:

Definitely! :)