All things Barclays / Barclaycard / Barclay

The last post in this topic was posted 1097 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So I went and applied for an Arrival + yesterday and was denied without having my credit pulled.I spoke to the UW who told me that I was denied because their system thought I already had an arrival card which I did last year for all of a week.........they had approved me for only 1K that at the time I thought it was pointless to have especially after the UW refused to increase it so I closed it. It didn't exactly install me with a lot of confidence that their system still couldn't recognize 9 months later that the account was closed. So the UW said that she could over ride the denial and run the credit and of course go through a list of questions before deciding on approval or not. My problem with the questions is two fold........firstly I know they will ask about all the payments I have been making on my existing barclays and one other card with another company and the last time I went through this I "accidentally told the truth" about what I was doing which was M$......the UW at the time didn't question me further on it but I got hammered by the folks on here for doing so........I was told the next time to say that all the payments were for work related expenses which I thought was still a little hard to buy as an excuse considering the amount of payments I was making monthly in comparison to my annual income (anyone with any other suggestions on that question????).......not sure if this is a silly question or not but do the credit card companies keep a record of your answers from previous new accounts interrogations????

Secondly, I just opened a citibank account which unexpectedly reported in record quick time.......I don't even have the card yet..........So given that it is known that Barclays have a negative view on customers opening lots of new accounts, is it likely to count against me in that regard that I just opened a new credit card last week and so should just forget about going for this card?

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad there's a thread for Barclay's.

I'm sure this tidbit is in the forums somewhere - but for all my clicking and reading, if I came across it before, I don't remember doing so.

Briefly put, the UW told me that they "can" do a soft pull, once every 6 months. I'll be calling them again in July.

• 4 weeks later...

Since last year I've been trying to get back into Barclay's and get an instant decision which was I had charged off account (over 7 years now) through a letter.

Starting end of last year I started to get a different response in the mail saying my request is too soon from the last inquiry.

I'm wondering if I'm clear now...not going to apply until after this summer but was wondering if anyone has any input? I know some get back in with them within few years (assuming they paid the charge off amount).

Edited by whipped

Do you had a lot of new credit?

Sometimes they just want you to call in and verify your identity.

They do generally ask a lot of questions about your profile. So be ready to explain any issues. I think they mostly want to hear that you want their card for a reason and that you plan to use it regularly.

Since last year I've been trying to get back into Barclay's and get an instant decision which was I had charged off account (over 7 years now) through a letter.

Starting end of last year I started to get a different response in the mail saying my request is too soon from the last inquiry.

I'm wondering if I'm clear now...not going to apply until after this summer but was wondering if anyone has any input? I know some get back in with them within few years (assuming they paid the charge off amount).

Interesting. Everytime I apply with them I get an instant denial also, no pull and the same letter. My apps have always been 30 days apart so I know it isn't too soon.

Just went ahead and app'd for the Barclays Visa Wyndham Rewards. TU FICO is 614, but the TU Bankcard score is 634 (hoping they pull this one?) I have 5 baddies on TU that are all 6 years old. Decent income ($80k). But got the 30 day notice. I figured that I would give them a shot, from the credit pulls, it looks like they've shown some love to people in my score range.

Just went ahead and app'd for the Barclays Visa Wyndham Rewards. TU FICO is 614, but the TU Bankcard score is 634 (hoping they pull this one?) I have 5 baddies on TU that are all 6 years old. Decent income ($80k). But got the 30 day notice. I figured that I would give them a shot, from the credit pulls, it looks like they've shown some love to people in my score range.

Never mind, I checked the status page 2 minutes later, and it states that currently, they cannot issue me a Barclays card. Details will be mailed to me.

Never mind, I checked the status page 2 minutes later, and it states that currently, they cannot issue me a Barclays card. Details will be mailed to me.
Recon it 1866-408-4064

Recon it 1866-408-4064
Has anyone had any luck with this? Does my score look good enough to be worth it? I haven't app'd for anything in years, so I wouldn't really know what to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I tried the recon, That didn't work. Nice guy on the phone, but he stated that it had been 6 years since my bad TL's, which was good, but all that I have reporting is an auto loan and school loans for the last 3 years. He stated that they like to see activity with positive credit card accounts.

So, I tried the recon, That didn't work. Nice guy on the phone, but he stated that it had been 6 years since my bad TL's, which was good, but all that I have reporting is an auto loan and school loans for the last 3 years. He stated that they like to see activity with positive credit card accounts.

I would take his word for it.

I generally get the impression that these reps know what they are talking about.

Moreso than most other issuer CSRs.

I would take his word for it.

I generally get the impression that these reps know what they are talking about.

Moreso than most other issuer CSRs.

I figure I will wait another month for the outcome of my TU disputes, get in with NFCU, then in about 6 months try for Barclays again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a plain Arrival card, 3 years old, and have a balance transfer on it. I'd like to keep it open.

But, I'd also like to apply for an Arrival Plus to get the $500 signup bonus.

Looking at blogs and such, They consider the two Arrivals to be the same product, so I can't get a new one with the old one open.

In the past, (until Nov or so, 2016) it was possible to PC the Arrival to a Barclay Rewards Card (1% rewards, nothing special) to keep the account open, then apply for a new Arrival Plus with the signup bonus.

Sometime around Dec 1 the Rewards Card dried up on their available card page.
https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards.html

I called in in early January and asked about a PC. Was told that there were no PC options available, but that I could try back in a month.

I called again in late February, was told again that there were no PC options available. I asked about the Rewards Card, the customer service rep said that yes, she had a Rewards Card. I asked if their were plans to make it available to new customers again, she thought it was still available, but after perusing the homepage determined that it had indeed dried up.

Anyway, just a datapoint.

Take homes
1) hopefully another generic rewards card will open up, so I can keep the Arrival open as a different card, and open a new Arrival Plus for the signup bonus.
2) in the future, if there's something I want to apply for, or a PC I want to do to keep an account open, or a credit line transfer or anything like that, do it ASAP. Don't put it off, as the options are always changing, the the option you plan to use may not be available tomorrow.

FWIW, MP

Edited by moneypyts

I have a plain Arrival card, 3 years old, and have a balance transfer on it. I'd like to keep it open.

Looking at blogs and such, They consider the two Arrivals to be the same product, so I can't get a new one with the old one open.

Does anyone know if this has this been verified and is that policy still current? I thought Barclays was like Capitol One in that their 'junior' cards are separate from the 'senior' cards; Venture One/Venture - Arrival/Arrival Plus.

Does anyone know if this has this been verified and is that policy still current? I thought Barclays was like Capitol One in that their 'junior' cards are separate from the 'senior' cards; Venture One/Venture - Arrival/Arrival Plus.

Can confirm that as of a few months ago this was indeed the policy. I was autodenied for the A+ for having the regular arrival. I've read reports that people have had success applying for an A+ almost immediately after having closed a regular arrival.

Can confirm that as of a few months ago this was indeed the policy. I was autodenied for the A+ for having the regular arrival. I've read reports that people have had success applying for an A+ almost immediately after having closed a regular arrival.

Just got my Arrival card bumped to $40k so closing it won't happen, not sure what to PC it to, if anything. Got my eyes on that easy $500 travel credit from the A+ card, for 11 months at least.

The last post in this topic was posted 1097 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.