All things Barclays / Barclaycard / Barclay

The last post in this topic was posted 1332 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Apped for Barc Arr+ a few days ago. Got alert from CK of a HP on TU as expected. But the next day CK said the HP had been removed again?! Not sure what to make of that. I got a 10 day message about the app, so still waiting.

Aargh, checked online app status, and saw it was denied. Scores around 790, about 4 Inq and 7 new cards in last 12 months. Only Barclay cards are 2 SMs.

Should I recon? What do I say? (Never done this before.) I don't want to give up one of the Sallie Maes, though I'd go fo moving some limits over. Suggestions?

Yes... Recon.

Tell them you would like to be reconsidered for card approval. Offer to move some limits around if they don't offer first. Be prepared to answer A LOT of questions.

What kind of questions?

Income, employment, why you opened 7 new accounts in the last 12 months, why is there a $10 balance on x card :D , etc., etc.

Just be honest, you'll be fine.

ETA - Tell them how excited you are to possibly get the Arrival + and how much you "just love" Barclay.

My only previous recon attempts were Chase and USBank, and I hit a brick wall both times. And I get phone phobia.

That said, this time with Barclay recon was totally easy. They said it was denied,but they'll see what they can do, they just asked basic questions (e.g. salary) then said they didn't want to extend more credit, so all I had to do was shift limits around, and they approved the card.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apped for Barc Arr+ a few days ago. Got alert from CK of a HP on TU as expected. But the next day CK said the HP had been removed again?! Not sure what to make of that. I got a 10 day message about the app, so still waiting.

Aargh, checked online app status, and saw it was denied. Scores around 790, about 4 Inq and 7 new cards in last 12 months. Only Barclay cards are 2 SMs.

Should I recon? What do I say? (Never done this before.) I don't want to give up one of the Sallie Maes, though I'd go fo moving some limits over. Suggestions?

Yes... Recon.

Tell them you would like to be reconsidered for card approval. Offer to move some limits around if they don't offer first. Be prepared to answer A LOT of questions.

What kind of questions?

Income, employment, why you opened 7 new accounts in the last 12 months, why is there a $10 balance on x card :D , etc., etc.

Just be honest, you'll be fine.

ETA - Tell them how excited you are to possibly get the Arrival + and how much you "just love" Barclay.

My only previous recon attempts were Chase and USBank, and I hit a brick wall both times. And I get phone phobia.

That said, this time with Barclay recon was totally easy. They said it was denied,but they'll see what they can do, they just asked basic questions (e.g. salary) then said they didn't want to extend more credit, so all I had to do was shift limits around, and they approved the card.

Good deal... Congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone have luck with Barclay product changes? I have the Apple Rewards (just upgraded) and though I love and exclusively use Apple products I'd rather have cash back or travel rewards instead. Had the card 3 years, never a CLI (plenty of APR reductions) and so it sits at $1,700. Thoughts?

P.S. I've always ignored and payed the minimum due and so UTIL lingered pretty high which is why they prob denied last CLI about 6 mos ago.

I also had the same experience with Barclays. At the tail end of my spree. I was just checking bonus deals and the Arrival + has a 50,000 mile bonus with $3k spend in 90 days. So I applied, got the 7-10 day message. Called to recon. They asked a lot of questions. Finally they wouldn't give me new credit. But they would shift limits around. Seeing as how I just got a $2,500 auto-cli from them. I just shifted that amount into the new card, and they approved. I'm not thrilled with the original card being back to a $1,000 limit as that is now my low card, but I'm happy I didn't waste the HP.

Wanted a CLI, so I called and asked for an APR reduction. She dropped me 1% and gave me a 1K CLI. Credit limit is now only 3K, but I'll take it.

I never use the card except for a pack of gum every 6 months for activity.

She also applied a 9 month 0% APR promo, although I never carry any balances so it isn't worth anything to me.

The APR reduction soft CLI still works!

I called in to PC my Arrival to a basic rewards card (CashForward or "rewards"), so I could apply for an Arrival Plus with the signup bonus.

I was told there were no Product Change options available. (& it appears the basic rewards card was discontinued about 2 weeks ago).

So I'm stuck with closing my oldest Barclay card (not that big of a deal, but I figure it looks good to keep an old account open with each bank), or waiting a bit to see if the PC options open up. (Seems that you could PC Arrivals to basic cards a while back, I haven't searched to verify this).

Just a data point, FWIW.

MP

I had a soft CLI on my Sallie Mae (RIP) recently. Requested APR reduction from front line rep, transferred to a friendly lady in another department. Read the disclosure asked income, minute later came back with an increase. Easy, and I don't even like dealing with people over the phone. That's why it took me a year between requests.

Profile 760-770ish Fico TU08

Use maybe a few hundred a month in the 5% categories, PIF before statement cuts.

Modest reported income.

2 years ago Started at $3,500 with 23% APR

11 months later called in soft CLI to $5,500 APR to 19%

12 months later called in soft CLI to $7,000 APR to 15%

Oh and it took over a week for the new credit limit to show up in my account online, even though the rep said it would be immediately available, but it did show up eventually.

Also have gotten several 12 month 0% interest, 2% balance transfer fee or 18 month 0% interest, 3% balance transfer fee offers. Latest about 2 months ago. Which I have no use for, but I seem to get offers from Barclays every couple of months.

Okay, I decided I'm gonna recon my SL with my new CashForward card when I get it, Tue/Wed. On my CR by then will show 3 brand new accounts, including Barclay. Prior to that its been over 6 months since any new TL, well I got an installment in July. So, knowing this am I in a good position to ask for UW for a higher SL? If so, any tips/tricks to have in my arsenal when asking?

Okay, I decided I'm gonna recon my SL with my new CashForward card when I get it, Tue/Wed. On my CR by then will show 3 brand new accounts, including Barclay. Prior to that its been over 6 months since any new TL, well I got an installment in July. So, knowing this am I in a good position to ask for UW for a higher SL? If so, any tips/tricks to have in my arsenal when asking?

Mendel???

Mendel???

Thanks Kat for the bump. I was getting nervous I would have to negotiate blind with the UW. Quite frankly my only tactic currently is that I want to take advantage of the BT offer and put $9k on the card, but don't want to completely destroy my util, therefore asking for a CL of $15k.

Drove past this Friday while working, traffic didn't allow me to snap a pic, so I got this off Google Maps as my appreciation pic token for you.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/3/1/3/1/0/4/webimg/930019839_o.png

Mendel???

Thanks Kat for the bump. I was getting nervous I would have to negotiate blind with the UW.

Kat was calling Mendel so he could ask you why your Student Loan (SL) would be reconned by Barclays.

Mendel???

Thanks Kat for the bump. I was getting nervous I would have to negotiate blind with the UW.

Kat was calling Mendel so he could ask you why your Student Loan (SL) would be reconned by Barclays.

Negative. My college days ended in 1992 and I've never had a student loan. I was however fortunate enough to get my undergraduate degree using grants and 1 scholarship.

Mendel???

Negative. My college days ended in 1992 and I've never had a student loan. I was however fortunate enough to get my undergraduate degree using grants and 1 scholarship.

I get it now Konrad. My SL was pertaining to starting line. Lol

So it looks like they Nerfed the Ring card and the rewards MC i guess the NFL card is the entry level card now. Just to update in case any one is interested i just called Barclay's and got Dezzy Dan they Nerfed the Ring card. They are accepting phone apps for the Rewards MC.

Edited by bigpoppa09

A letter requesting I send Barclays something that shows proof of address (bank statement, etc.) for consideration regarding a card that they have already denied me for??

I have CashForward and apped for Upromise. Got the 7-10 day message, but looked online and it said denied. A week later I get the letter..... guess I'll send them something this week.

I did just call for a CLI on my CashForward. I asked to double the line to 15K; & after answering several questions (income, why have I opened so many cards recently) etc. I got another 2.5K which puts it at 10K making this my highest limit bank card along with my Citi Double Cash. Now I really need to sit back and garden. I've opened a LOT of new accts in the past year, now I need to sockdrawer/rotate and let them age.

The last post in this topic was posted 1332 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.